- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Enamel Erosion Caused by Energy Drinks
시판되는 에너지음료의 법랑질 침식효과에 대한 연구
- Jeong, Moon-Jin ;
- Jeong, Soon-Jeong ;
- Son, Jung-Hui ;
- Chung, Sung-Kyun ;
- Kim, A-Reum ;
- Kang, Eun-Ju ;
- Kim, Eun-Ju ;
- Kim, Hye-In ;
- Jang, Ko-Eun ;
- Cho, Min-Hee ;
- Cheon, Ye-Ji ;
- Choi, Hyo-Jung ;
- Lim, Do-Seon
- Received : 2014.11.13
- Accepted : 2014.12.01
- Published : 2014.12.31
To find out the effect of commercially available energy drinks on tooth enamel erosion, analyzed pH, buffering capacity, and the content of some of the inorganic components selecting 4 energy drinks that has high affinity of the products currently being sold. In addition, by observing the degree of erosion before and after immersion in energy drink by surface microhardness and scanning electron microscope (SEM) the results were as follows: Acidity of energy drink 'Burn Intense' was the lowest as
Buffering capacity;Energy drink;Erosion;pH;Scanning electron microscope
- Featherstone JD, Mellberg JR: Relative rates of progress of artificial carious lesions in bovine, ovine and human enamel. Caries Res 15: 109-114, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1159/000260508
- Imfeld T: Dental erosion, definition, classification and links. Eur J Oral Sci 104: 151-155, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0722.1996.tb00063.x
- Jarvinen VK, Rytomaa II, Heinonen OP: Risk factors in dental erosion. J Dent Res 70: 942-947, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345910700060601
- Meurman J, Toskala J, Nuutinen P, Klemetti E: Oral and dental manifestations in gastroesophageal reflux disease. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 78: 583-589, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-4220(94)90168-6
- Rebecca M, David B, Angela A: Dental erosion gastroesophageal reflux disease and saliva: how are they related? J Dent 32: 489-494, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2004.03.004
- Moazzez R, Bartlett D, Anggiansah A: The association of acidic reflux above the upper oesophageal sphincter with palatal tooth wear. Caries Res 39: 475-478, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1159/000088182
- Lussi A, Jaeggi T, Jaeggi-Scharer S: Prediction of the erosive potential of some beverages. Caries Res 29: 349-354, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1159/000262091
- Venables MC, Shaw L, Jeukendrup AE, et al.: Erosive effect of a new sports drink in dental enamel during exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc 37: 39-44, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1249/01.MSS.0000150017.74892.F5
- Hooper S, West NX, Sharif N, et al.: A comparison of enamel erosion by a new sports drink compared to two proprietary products: a controlled, crossover study in situ. J Dent 32: 541-545, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2004.05.002
- Maupome G, Aguilar-Avila M, Medrano-Ugalde HA, Borges-Yanex A: In vitro quantitative microhardness assessment of enmel with early salivary pellicles after exposure to an eroding Cola drink. Caries Res 33: 140-147, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1159/000016508
- Grenby TH, Mistry M, Desai T: Potential dental effects of infants' fruit drinks studied in vitro. Br J Nutr 64: 273-283, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19900028
- Rytomaa I, Meurman JH, Franssila A: Oral hygiene products may cause dental erosion. Proc Finn Dent Soc 85: 161-166, 1989.
- Rogalla K, Finger W, Haning M: Influence of bufferd and unbuffered acetylsalicylic acid on dental enamel and dentin in human teeth: an in vitro pilot study. Meth Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 14: 339-346, 1992.
- Ten Bruggen Cate HJ: Dental erosion in industry. Br J Ind Med 25: 249-266, 1968.
- Shaw L, Smith A: Erosion in children: an increasing clinical problem? Dent Update 21: 103-106, 1994.
- Choi DY, Shin SC: A study on pH of several beverages in Korea. J Korean Acad Dent Health 20: 399-410, 1996.
- Choi CH, Youn HJ, Noh HJ, Hong SJ: Surface microhardness changes caused by Coca-cola on sound enamel of bovine teeth. J Korean Acad Dent Health 32: 152-159, 2008.
- Attin T, Weiss K, Becker K, Buchalla W, Wiegand A: Oral biology impact of modified acidic soft drinks on enamel erosion. Oral Diseases 11: 7-12, 2005.
- Birkhed D: Sugar content, acidity and effect on plaque pH of fruit juices, fruit drinks, carbonated beverages and sport drinks. Caries Res 18: 120-127, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1159/000260759
- Brunton PA, Hussain A: The erosive effect of herbal tea on dental enamel. J Dent 29: 517-520, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-5712(01)00044-6
- Sim JH, Jeong TS, Kim S: A study on the enamel erosion by fermented milks. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent 31: 555-561, 2004.
- Snchez GA, Fernandez DE, Preliasco MV: Salivary pH changes during soft drinks consumption in children. Int J Paediatr Dent 13: 251-257, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-263X.2003.00469.x
- Muller RF, Gortner RA Jr: The influence of sugar content and pH on in vivo decalcification of rat molar teeth by acid beverages. Arch Biochem 20: 153-158, 1949.
- Brown CJ, Smith G, Shaw L, Parry J, Smith AJ: The erosive potential of flavoured sparkling water drinks. Int J Paediatr Dent 17: 86-91, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-263X.2006.00784.x
- Johansson AK, Lingstrom P, Birkhed D: Comparison of factors potentially related to the occurrence of dental erosion in high- and low-erosion groups. Eur J Oral Sci 110: 204-211, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0447.2002.11211.x
- Ahn HY, Lee KH, Kim DE: Erosion of tooth enamel vy acidic drinks and remineralization by artificial saliva. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent 29: 84-91, 2002.
- Ahn YS, Kim EH, Min JH, et al.: The effect of acid beverages purchased on the retail market upon the surface of tooth enamel. J Dent Hyg Sci 10: 451-457, 2010.
- Owens BM, Kitchens M: The erosive potential of soft drinks on enamel surface substrate: an in vitro scanning electron microscopy investigation. J Contemp Dent Pract 8: 86-91, 2007.
- Choi CH, Youn HJ, Jeong SS, Ha MO, Hong SJ: Effect of drinks on the surface microhardness of artificial carious enamel. J Korean Acad Dent Health 30: 316-324, 2006.
- Retrieved September 11, 2012, from http://mbnmoney.mbn.co.kr/news/view?news_no=mm1000681943Accessed data the Mmone(2012, September 11).
- Kim SD, Yun ES, Chang MS, et al.: Survey of daily caffeine intakes from children's beverage consumption and the effectiveness of nutrition education. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 709-720, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.6.709
- Ko IS: Survey on energy drink intake of middle school students and recognition of the risk of high caffeine intake. Unpublished master's thesis, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, 2013.
- Ju HH: Intakes of caffeine-contained beverages and related factors from middle school students in Daejeon area. Unpublished master's thesis, Chungnam National University, Daejeon, 2013.
- Moon HK: A study on the consumption patterns of functional beverages of high school students and university students in Daegu metropolitan city. Unpublished master's thesis, Yeungnam University, Daegu, 2013.
- Kim MA: Investigation in teenager's perception and problems regarding high caffeine drinks- Focuses on high caffeine and high taurine mixture. Unpublished master's thesis, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, 2013.
- Prietsch JR, de Souz MA, Gomes AS: Unusual dental erosion caused by a cola drink. J Clin Orthod Oct 36: 549-552, 2002.
- Xhonga FA, Valdmanis S: Geographic comparisons of the incidence of dental erosion: a two centre study. J Oral Rehabil 10: 269-277, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.1983.tb00121.x
- Moss SJ: Dental erosion. Int Dent J 48: 529-539, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1875-595X.1998.tb00488.x
- Levine RS: Fruit juice erosion: an increasing danger? J Dent 2: 85-88, 1974.
- Lussi A, Jaggi T, Scharer S: The influence of different factors on in vitro enamel erosion. Caries Res 27: 387-393, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1159/000261569
- Rytomaa I, Meurman J, Koskinea J: In vitro erosion of bovine enamel caused by acidic drinks and other foodstuffs. Scand J Dent Res 96: 324-333, 1988.
- Gregory-Head B, Curtis D: Erosion caused by gastroesophageal reflux; diagnostic considerations. J Prosthodont 6: 278-285, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-849X.1997.tb00108.x
- Lussi A, Jaeggi T: Chemical factors. Monogr Oral Sci 20: 77-87, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1159/000093353
- Edwards M, Creanor SL, Foye RH, Gilmour WH: Buffering capacities of soft drinks: the potential influence on dental erosion. J Oral Rehabil 26: 923-927, 1996.
- Tahmassebi JF, Duggal MS, Malik-Kotru G, Curzon MEJ: Soft drinks and dental health: a review of the current literature. J Dent 34: 2-11, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2004.11.006
- Grobler SR, van der Horst G: Biochemical analysis of various cool drinks with regard to enamel erosion, de-and remineralization. J Dent Assoc S Afr 37: 681-684, 1982.
- Cairns AM, Watson M, Creanor SL, Foye RH: The pH and titratable acidity of a range of diluting drinks and their potential effect on dental erosion. J Dent 30: 313-317, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-5712(02)00044-1
- Larsen MJ, Nyvad B: Enamel erosion by some soft drinks and orange juices relative to their pH, buffering effect and contents of calcium phosphate. Caries Res 33: 81-87, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1159/000016499
- Hooper S, Hughes J, Parker D, et al.: A clinical study in situ to assess the effect of a food approved polymer on the erosion potential of drinks. J Dent 35: 541-546, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2007.03.001
- Ganess C, Klimek J, Schwartz N: A comparative profilometric in vitro study of the susceptibility of polished and natural human enamel and dentine surface to erosive demineralization. Arch Oral Biol 45: 897-902, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9969(00)00041-8
- Lee CY, Kim S, Jung TS: A study on enamel erosion caused by orange juices. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent 31: 617-623, 2004.
- Youn HJ: Dental erosioncaused by beverages on sound and artificial caries enamel. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Chonnam National University, Gwangju, 2009.
- Van Eygen I, Vannet BV, Wehrbein H: Influence of a soft drink with low pH on enamel surfaces: an in vitro study. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 128: 372-377, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajodo.2004.03.036
- Youn HJ, Jeong SS, Hong SJ, Choi CH: Surface microhardness caused by commercial drinks on sound enamel of bovine teeth. J Korean Acad Dent Health 30: 23-36, 2006.
- Yang KH, Park EH, Jeong BC: Sem and confocal laser scanning microscopic study on the corrosion of dental restorative resins. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent 29: 430-438, 2002.
- Grando LJ, Tames DR, Cardoso AC, Gabilan NH: In vitro study of enamel erosion caused by soft drinks and lemon juice in deciduous teeth analysed by stereomicroscopy and scanning electron microscopy. Caries Res 30: 373-378, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1159/000262345
- Eisenburger M, Shellis RP, Addy M: Scanning electron microscopy of softened enamel. Caries Res 38: 67-74, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1159/000073923
- Kim YH: The erosion of the tooth enamel and the cementum by carbonate beverage. Unpublished master's Dankook University, Cheonan, 2010.
Supported by : Chosun University