- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Influence of Smoking Cessation on Periodontal Biomarkers in Gingival Crevicular Fluid for 1 Year: A Case Study
1년간 금연이 미치는 치은열구액 내 치주염 바이오마커 변화: 사례연구
- Received : 2014.10.08
- Accepted : 2014.11.17
- Published : 2014.12.31
Although tobacco use has been known as one of the biggest risk factors on periodontal health, little is known about the effect of smoking cessation on it. The aim of this study was to investigate the change of concentration of matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-8, MMP-9 and interleukin (IL)-
Gingival crevicular fluid;Interleukin-1beta;Matrix metalloproteinase-8;Matrix metalloproteinase-9;Smoking cessation
- Chapple IL, Wilson NH: Manifesto for a paradigm shift: periodontal health for a better life. Br Dent J 21: 159-162, 2014.
- Stabholz A, Soskolne WA, Shapira L: Genetic and environmental risk factors for chronic periodontitis and aggressive periodontitis. Periodontol 2000 53: 138-153, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0757.2010.00340.x
- Lee J, Taneja V, Vassallo R: Cigarette smoking and inflammation: cellular and molecular mechanisms. J Dent Res 91: 142-149, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022034511421200
- Chung KF: Inflammatory mediators in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Curr Drug Target Inflamm Allergy 4: 619-625, 2005. https://doi.org/10.2174/156801005774912806
- De Heens GL, van der Velden U, Loos BG: Cigarette smoking enhances T cell activation and a Th2 immune response; an aspect of the pathophysiology in periodontal disease. Cytokine 47: 157-161, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cyto.2009.05.006
- Vassallo R, Tamada K, Lau JS, Kroening PR, Chen L: Cigarette smoke extract suppresses human dendritic cell function leading to preferential induction of Th-2 priming. J Immunol 175: 2684-2691, 2005. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.175.4.2684
- Pace E, Ferraro M, Siena L, et al.: Cigarette smoke increases Toll-like receptor 4 and modifies lipopolysaccharide-mediated responses in airway epithelial cells. Immunology 124: 401-411, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2567.2007.02788.x
- Liu X, Togo S, Al-Mugotir M, et al.: NF-kappaB mediates the survival of human bronchialepithelial cells exposed to cigarette smoke extract. Respir Res 9: 66, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1186/1465-9921-9-66
- Kwon YH, Park JB: Periodontal biology illustrated. 1st ed. Koonja Publishing Co., Seoul, pp.84-187, 2007.
- Muller HP, Stadermann S, Heinecke A: Longitudinal association between plaque and gingival bleeding in smokers and non-smokers. J Clin Periodontol 29: 287-294, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-051X.2002.290403.x
- Hwang SJ, Kim NH, Kim HD, Park DI: Influence of smoking in modified experimental gingivitis model. J Korean Acad Oral Health 32: 434-442, 2008.
- Sorsa T, Tjaderhane L, Salo T: Matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) in oral diseases. Oral Dis 210: 311-318, 2004.
- Kiili M, Cox SW, Chen HY, et al.: Collagenase-2 (MMP-8) and collagenase-3 (MMP-13) in adult periodontitis: molecular forms and levels in gingival crevicular fluid and immunolocalisation in gingival tissue. J Clin Periodontol 29: 224-232, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-051x.2002.290308.x
- MantylaP, Stenman M, Kinane DF, et al.: Gingival crevicular fluid collagenase-2 (MMP-8) test stick for chair-side monitoring of periodontitis. J Periodontal Res 38: 436-439, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0765.2003.00677.x
- Preshaw PM, Taylor JJ: How has research into cytokine interactions and their role in driving immune responses impacted our understanding of periodontitis? J Clin Periodontol 38: 60-84, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2010.01671.x
- Liu KH, Hwang SJ: The change of nicotine and cotinine concentrations in the saliva of participants in the Quitsmoking clinic in Daejeon. J Korean Acad Oral Health 36: 228-237, 2012.
- Haber J, Wattles J, Crowley M, Mandell R, Joshipura K, Kent RL: Evidence for cigarette smoking as a major risk factor for periodontitis. J Periodontol 64: 16-23, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19126.96.36.199
- Kim HY, Hwang SJ: Association of smoking, economic status and oral health in the elderly in Dong-gu, Daejeon. J Korean Acad Oral Health 35: 67-76, 2011.
- Fiorini T, Musskopf ML, Oppermann RV, Susin C: Is there a positive effect of smoking cessation on periodontal health? A systematic review. J Periodontol 85: 83-91, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2013.130047
- Chambrone L, Preshaw PM, Rosa EF, et al.: Effects of smoking cessation on the outcomes of non-surgical periodontal therapy: a systematic review and individual patient data meta-analysis. J Clin Periodontol 40: 607-615, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1111/jcpe.12106
- Song TM: Changes in smoking rates of male adults in Korea and smoking cessation policy: focus on smoking cessation clinics, Health and Welfare Policy Forum. Korean Institute for Health and Social Affairs, Seoul, pp.55-63, 2011.
- Rosa EF, Corraini P, de Carvalho VF, et al.: A prospective 12-month study of the effect of smoking cessation on periodontal clinical parameters. J Clin Periodontol 38: 562-571, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2011.01723.x
- Koong HS, Ryu SM, Hwang SJ: Health behavior motivators about quit-smoking in some outpatients of university hospitals. J Dent Hyg Sci 13:314-320, 2013.
- Ramseier CA, Kobrehel S, Staub P, Sculean A, Lang NP, Salvi GE: Compliance of cigarette smokers with scheduled visits for supportive periodontal therapy. J Clin Periodontol 41: 473-480, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1111/jcpe.12242
Supported by : 한국연구재단