- Volume 50 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Antifungal Activity of Rheum undulatum on Candida albicans by the Changes in Membrane Permeability
막투과성 변화로 인한 대황의 Candida albicans에 대한 항진균 활성
- Lee, Heung-Shick (Department of Biotechnology and Bioinformatics, Korea University) ;
- Kim, Younhee (Department of Korean Medicine, Semyung University)
- Received : 2014.12.16
- Accepted : 2014.12.24
- Published : 2014.12.31
Candida albicans is an opportunistic and the most prevalent fungal pathogen that can cause superficial and systemic infections in immunocompromised patients. C. albicans can promote the transition from budding yeast to filamentous form, generating biofilms. Infections associated with C. albicans biofilms are frequently resistant to conventional antifungal therapy. Therefore, the development of more effective antifungal drugs related with biofilm formation is required urgently. The roots of Rheum undulatum have been used for medicinal purposes in Korea and China traditionally. The aim of present study was to evaluate the effect of R. undulatum extract upon preformed biofilms of 12 clinical C. albicans isolates and the antifungal activities. Its effect on preformed biofilms was evaluated using XTT reduction assay, and metabolic activity of all tested strains was reduced significantly (
Candida albicans;Rheum undulatum;antifungal activity;biofilm;membrane permeability
Supported by : 세명대학교
- Beggs, W.H. 1994. Physicochemical cell damage in relation to lethal amphotericin B action. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 38, 363- 364. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.38.2.363
- Blankenship, J.R. and Mitchell, A.P. 2006. How to build a biofilm: a fungal perspective. Curr. Opin. Microbiol. 9, 588-594. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mib.2006.10.003
- Braun, B.R. and Johnson, A.D. 1997. Control of filament formation in Candida albicans by the transcriptional repressor TUP1. Science 277, 105-109. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.277.5322.105
- Calderone, R.A. and Fonzi, W.A. 2001. Virulence factors of Candida albicans. Trends Microbiol. 9, 327-335. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0966-842X(01)02094-7
- Chandra, J., Kuhn, D.M., Mukherjee, P.K., Hoyer, L.L., McCormick, T., and Ghannoum, M.A. 2001. Biofilm formation by the fungal pathogen Candida albicans: development, architecture, and drug resistance. J. Bacteriol. 183, 5385-5394. https://doi.org/10.1128/JB.183.18.5385-5394.2001
- Choi E.S., Cho, S.D., Jeon, J.G., and Cho, N.P. 2011. The apoptotic effect of the hexane extract of Rheum undulatum L. in oral cancer cells through the down-regulation of specificity protein 1 and survivin. Lab Anim. Res. 27, 19-24. https://doi.org/10.5625/lar.2011.27.1.19
- CLSI. 2008. Reference method for broth dilution antifungal susceptibility testing of yeasts; approved standard-third edition; CLSI document M27-A3. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne, PA, USA.
- Cohen, B.E. 1998. Amphotericin B toxicity and lethality: a tale of two channels. Int. J. Pharmaceutics 162, 95-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-5173(97)00417-1
- Douglas, L.J. 2003. Candida biofilms and their role in infection. Trends Microbiol. 11, 30-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0966-842X(02)00002-1
- Edidin, M. 1970. A rapid, quantitative fluorescence assay for cell damage by cytotoxic antibodies. J. Immunol. 104, 1303-1306.
- Ehara, M., Noguchi, T., and Ueda, K. 1996. Uptake of neutral red by the vacuoles of a green alga, Micrasterias pinnatifida. Plant Cell Physiol. 37, 734-741. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.pcp.a029007
- Guarrera, P.M. 2005. Traditional phytotherapy in central Italy. Fitotherapia 76, 1-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fitote.2004.09.006
- Hawser, S. 1996. Adhesion of different Candida spp. to plastic: XTT formazan determinations. Med. Mycol. 34, 407-410. https://doi.org/10.1080/02681219680000721
- Haynes, K. 2001. Virulence in Candida species. Trends Microbiol. 9, 591-596. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0966-842X(01)02237-5
- Huang, Q., Lu, G., Shen, H.M., Chung, M.C., and Ong, C.N. 2007. Anti-cancer properties of anthraquinones from rhubarb. Med. Res. Rev. 27, 609-630. https://doi.org/10.1002/med.20094
- Kim, Y. 2013. Inhibition of Candida albicans biofilm formation by Coptidis chinensis through damaging the integrity of cell membrane. Kor. J. Microbiol. 49, 17-23. https://doi.org/10.7845/kjm.2013.002
- Klepser, M.E., Ernst, E.J., Lewis, R.E., Ernst, M.E., and Pfaller, M.A. 1998. Influence of test conditions on antifungal time-kill curve results: proposal for standardized methods. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 42, 1207-1212.
- Krishan, A. 1975. Rapid flow cytofluorometric analysis of mammalian cell cycle by propidium iodide staining. J. Cell Biol. 66, 188-193. https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.66.1.188
- Mathur, A., Singh, R., Yousuf, S., Bhardwaj, A., Verma, S.K., Babu, P., Gupta, V., Prasad, G.B.K.S., and Dua, V.K. 2011. Antifungal activity of some plant extracts against clinical pathogens. Adv. Appl. Sci. Res. 2, 260-264.
- Odds, F.C., Gow, N.A., and Brown, A.J. 2001. Fungal virulence studies come of age. Genome Biol. 2, reviews 1009.1-1009.4.
- Oliver, B.G., Silver, P.M., Marie, C., Hoot, S.J., Leyde, S.E., and White, T.C. 2008. Tetracycline alters drug susceptibility in Candida albicans and other pathogenic fungi. Microbiology 154, 960-970. https://doi.org/10.1099/mic.0.2007/013805-0
- Park, S.J., Choi, S.J., Shin, W.S., Lee, H.M., Lee, K.S., and Lee, K.H. 2009. Relationship between biofilm formation ability and virulence of Candida albicans. J. Bacteriol. Virol. 39, 119-124. https://doi.org/10.4167/jbv.2009.39.2.119
- Perea, S. and Patterson, T.F. 2002. Antifungal resistance in pathogenic fungi. Clin. Infect. Dis. 35, 1073-1080. https://doi.org/10.1086/344058
- Pfaller, M.A. and Diekema, D.J. 2007. Epidemiology of invasive candidiasis: a persistent public health problem. Clin. Microbiol. Rev. 20, 133-163. https://doi.org/10.1128/CMR.00029-06
- Ramage, G., Martinez, J.P., and Lopez-Ribot, J.L. 2006. Candida biofilms on implanted biomaterials: a clinically significant problem. FEMS Yeast Res. 6, 979-986. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1567-1364.2006.00117.x
- Ramage, G., Saville, S.P., Thomas, D.P., and Lopez-Ribot, J.L. 2005. Candida biofilms: an update. Eukaryot Cell 4, 633-638. https://doi.org/10.1128/EC.4.4.633-638.2005
- Ramage, G., Vande-Walle, K., Wickes, B.L., and Lopez-Ribot, J.L. 2001. Standardized method for in vitro antifungal susceptibility testing of Candida albicans biofilms. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 45, 2475-2479. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.45.9.2475-2479.2001
- Rukayadi, Y., Shim, J.S., and Hwang, J.K. 2008. Screening of Thai medicinal plants for anticandidal activity. Mycoses 51, 308-312. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0507.2008.01497.x
- Shapiro, R.S., Robbins, N., and Cowen, L.E. 2011. Regulatory circuitry governing fungal development, drug resistance, and disease. Microbiol. Mol. Biol. Rev. 75, 213-267. https://doi.org/10.1128/MMBR.00045-10
- Thompson, D.S., Carlisle, P.L., and Kadosh, D. 2011. Coevolution of morphology and virulence in Candida species. Eukaryot. Cell 10, 1173-1182. https://doi.org/10.1128/EC.05085-11
- Vaara, M. and Vaara, T. 1981. Outer membrane permeability barrier disruption by polymyxin in polymyxin-susceptible and -resistant Salmonella typhimurium. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 19, 578- 583. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.19.4.578
- Viarengo, A., Lowe, D., Bolognesi, C., Fabbri, E., and Koehler, A. 2007. The use of biomarkers in biomonitoring: a 2-tier approach assessing the level of pollutant-induced stress syndrome in sentinel organisms. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. Pt. C. 146, 281-300.
- White, T.C., Marr, K.A., and Bowden, R.A. 1998. Clinical cellular and molecular factors that contribute to antifungal drug resistance. Clin. Microbiol. Rev. 11, 382-402.
- Whiteway, M. and Bachewich, C. 2007. Morphogenesis in Candida albicans. Annu. Rev. Microbiol. 61, 529-553. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.micro.61.080706.093341
- Yu, H.M., Liu, Y.F., Cheng, Y.F., Hu, L.K., and Hou, M. 2008. Effects of rhubarb extract on radiation induced lung toxicity via decreasing transforming growth factor-beta-1 and interleukin-6 in lung cancer patients treated with radiotherapy. Lung Cancer 59, 219-226. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2007.08.007
- Inhibition of yeast Candida growth by protein antibiotic produced from Pseudomonas fluorescens BB2 vol.51, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7845/kjm.2015.5055