- Volume 50 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Acidic pH and Temperature Stabilities between Two Bacillus Mannanases Produced from Recombinant Escherichia coli
재조합 대장균으로부터 생산된 Bacillus 속 균주 유래 Mannanases의 내산성과 열안정성 비교
- Jeon, Ho Jin (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Woosong University) ;
- Yoon, Ki-Hong (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Woosong University)
- Received : 2014.09.03
- Accepted : 2014.09.29
- Published : 2014.12.31
Two genes encoding the mannanase of Bacillus sp. YB-1401 and B. amyloliquefaciens YB-1402, which had been isolated at acidic pH as mannanase producers, were each cloned into Escherichia coli, and sequenced. Both mannanase genes consisted of 1,080 nucleotides, encoding polypeptides of 360 amino acid residues. The deduced amino acid sequences of the two mannanase genes differed by four amino acid residues different, and were highly homologous to those of mannanases belonging to the glycosyl hydrolase family 26. Comparison of two mannanases produced from recombinant E. coli indicated that His-tagged mannanase of YB-1402 (HtMAN1402) was more stable than that of YB-1401 at acidic pH and high temperature. In particular, HtMAN1402 retained more than 50% of its activity at pH 3.0 after 4 h of pre-incubation, suggesting the enzyme is a valuable candidate for use as a feed additive. In addition, thermostability of the two mannanases was found to be enhanced by
Bacillus;acidic pH;mannanase gene;stability
- Chauhan, P.S., Sharma, P., Puri, N., and Gupta, N. 2014. A process for reduction in viscosity of coffee extract by enzymatic hydrolysis of mannan. Bioprocess Biosyst. Eng. 37, 1459-1467. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00449-013-1118-9
- Dhawan, S. and Kaur, J. 2007. Microbial mannanases: an overview of production and applications. Crit. Res. Biotechnol. 27, 197-216. https://doi.org/10.1080/07388550701775919
Ghosh, A., Luis, A.S., Bras, J.L., Fontes, C.M., and Goyal, A. 2013. Thermostable recombinant
$\beta$-(1 $\rightarrow$4)-mannanase from C. thermocellum: biochemical characterization and manno-oligosaccharides production. J. Agric. Food Chem. 61, 12333-12344. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf403111g
- Hatada, Y., Takeda, N., Hirasawa, K., Ohta Y., Usami, R., Yoshida, Y., Grant, W.D., Ito, S., and Horikoshi, K. 2005. Sequence of the gene for a high-alkaline mannanase from an alkaliphilic Bacillus sp. strain JAMB-750, its expression in Bacillus subtilis and characterization of the recombinant enzyme. Extremophiles 9, 497-500. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00792-005-0460-5
- Huang, J.L., Bao, L.X., Zou, H.Y., Che, S.G., and Wang, G.X. 2012. High-level production of a cold-active B-mannanase from Bacillus subtilis BS5 and its molecular cloning and expression. Mol. Gen. Mikrobiol. Virusol. 4, 14-17.
- Jeon, H.J. and Yoon, K.H. 2014. Production and characterization of mannanase from a Bacillus sp. YB-1401 isolated from fermented soybean paste. Kor. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 42, 99-105. https://doi.org/10.4014/kjmb.1403.03007
Jiang, Z., Wei, Y., Li, D., Li, L., Chai, P., and Kusakabe, I. 2006. High-level production, purification and characterization of a thermostable
$\beta$-mannanase from the newly isolated Bacillus subtilis WY34. Carbohydr. Polym. 66, 68-96.
Kim, J.S., Ingale, S.L., Lee, S.H., Kim, K.H., Kim, J.S., Lee, J.H., and Chae, B.J. 2013. Effects of energy levels of diet and
$\beta$-mannanase supplementation on growth performance, apparent total tract digestibility and blood metabolites in growing pigs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 186, 64-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2013.08.008
Kumagai, Y., Usuki, H., Yamamoto, Y., Yamasato, A., Arima, J., Mukaihara, T., and Hatanaka, T. 2011. Characterization of calcium ion sensitive region for
$\beta$-mannanase from Streptomyces thermolilacinus. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1814, 1127-1133. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbapap.2011.04.017
- Kweun, M.A, Lee, M.S., Choi, J.H., Cho, K.H., and Yoon, K.H. 2004a. Cloning of a Bacillus subtilis WL-7 mannanase gene and characterization of the gene product. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 14, 1295-1302.
- Kweun, M.A., Shon, J.Y., and Yoon, K.H. 2004b. High-level expression of a Bacillus subtilis mannanase gene in Escherichia coli. Kor. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 32, 212-217.
Lu, H., Luo, H., Shi, P., Huang, H., Meng, K., Yang, P., and Yao, B. 2014. A novel thermophilic endo-
$\beta$-1,4-mannanase from Aspergillus nidulans XZ3: functional roles of carbohydrate-binding module and Thr/Ser-rich linker region. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 98, 2155- 2163. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-013-5112-6
Lu, H., Zhang, H., Shi, P., Luo, H., Wang, Y., Yang, P., and Yao, B. 2013. A family 5
$\beta$-mannanase from the thermophilic fungus Thielavia arenaria XZ7 with typical thermophilic enzyme features. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 97, 8121-8128. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-012-4656-1
Mendoza, N.S., Arai, M., Sugimoto, K., Ueda, M., Kawaguchi, T., and Joson, L.M. 1995. Cloning and sequencing of
$\beta$-mannanase gene from Bacillus subtilis NM-39. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1243, 552-554. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-4165(95)00011-Y
- Miller, M.L., Blum, R., Glennon, W.E., and Burton, A.L. 1960. Measurement of carboxymethylcellulase activity. Anal. Biochem. 2, 127-132.
- Morreira, L.R. and Filho, E.X. 2008. An overview of mannan structure and mannandegrading enzyme systems. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 79, 165-178. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-008-1423-4
- Srivastava, P.K. and Kapoor, M. 2014. Cost-effective endo-mannanase from Bacillus sp. CFR1601 and its application in generation of oligosaccharides from guar gum and as detergent additive. Prep. Biochem. Biotechnol. 44, 39-417.
Summpunn, P., Chaijan, S., Isarangkul, D., Wiyakrutta, S., and Meevootisom, V. 2011. Characterization, gene cloning, and heterologous expression of
$\beta$-mannanase from a thermophilic Bacillus subtilis. J. Microbiol. 49, 86-93. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12275-011-0357-1
Sunna, A. 2010. Modular organisation and functional analysis of dissected modular
$\beta$-mannanase CsMan26 from Caldicellulosiruptor Rt8B.4. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 86, 189-200. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-009-2242-y
- Vijayalaxmi, S., Prakash, P., Jayalakshmi, S.K., Mulimani, V.H., and Sreeramulu, K. 2013. Production of extremely alkaliphilic, halotolerent, detergent, and thermostable mannanase by the free and immobilized cells of Bacillus halodurans PPKS-2. Purification and characterization. Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 171, 382-395. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12010-013-0333-9
Xu, M., Zhang, R., Liu, X., Shi, J., Xu, Z., and Rao, Z. 2013. Improving the acidic stability of a
$\beta$-mannanase from Bacillus subtilis by site-directed mutagenesis. Process Biochem. 48, 1166-1173. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procbio.2013.06.014
- Yan, X.X., An, X.M., Gui, L.L., and Liang, D.C. 2008. From structure to function: insights into the catalytic substrate specificity and thermostability displayed by Bacillus subtilis mannanase BCman. J. Mol. Biol. 379, 535-544. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmb.2008.03.068
- Yoon, K.H. 2014. Production and properties of mannanase by a Bacillus amyloliquefaciens isolate. Kor. J. Microbiol. 50, 158-163. https://doi.org/10.7845/kjm.2014.4015
- Yoon, K.H. and Lim, B.L. 2007. Cloning and strong expression of a Bacillus subtilis WL-3 mannanase gene in B. subtilis. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 17, 1688-1694.
- Zhang, C., Chen, J.D., and Yang, F.Q. 2014. Konjac glucomannan, a promising polysaccharide for OCDDS. Carbohydr. Polym. 104, 175 -181. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2013.12.081
- Zhang, Y., Ju, J., Peng, H., Gao, F., Zhou, C., Zeng, Y., Xue, Y., Li, Y., Henrissat, B., Gao, G. F., and Ma, Y. 2008. Biochemical and structural characterization of the intracellular mannanase AaManA of Alicyclobacillus acidocaldarius reveals a novel glycoside hydrolase family belonging to clan GH-A. J. Biol. Chem. 283, 31551 -31558. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M803409200
- Zhou, H., Yang, Y., Nie, X., Yang, W., and Wu, Y. 2013. Comparison of expression systems for the extracellular production of mannanase Man23 originated from Bacillus subtilis B23. Microb. Cell Fact. 12, 78. https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-2859-12-78