- Volume 38 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Impact of Salespersons and Other Customers in a Fashion Store -Focus on Physical Attractiveness and Self-image Congruence-
패션 점포 내 판매원과 다른 고객에 대한 신체적 매력과 자기이미지 일치 효과
- Kim, Yunjeong (Dept. of Textiles, Merchandising, and Fashion Design, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Yuri (Dept. of Textiles, Merchandising, and Fashion Design, Seoul National University/Research Institute of Human Ecology, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Boram (Dept. of Textiles, Merchandising, and Fashion Design, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2014.03.31
- Accepted : 2014.06.26
- Published : 2014.12.31
This study investigates how the physical attractiveness of salespeople and other customers and self-image congruence influence customer perception and brand attitude. As a result of a pretest, four types of pictorial stimuli were developed: physical attractiveness of salespeople (high/low)
Salespeople;Other customers;Physical attractiveness;Self-image congruence;Brand attitude
- Argo, J. J., Dahl, D. W., & Morales, A. C. (2008). Positive consumer contagion: Responses to attractive others in a retail context. Journal of Marketing Research, 45(6), 690−701. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.45.6.690
- Argo, J. J., & Main, K. J. (2008). Stigma by association in coupon redemption: Looking cheap because of others. Journal of Consumer Research, 35(4), 559−572. https://doi.org/10.1086/591102
- Baker, J. (1987). The role of the environment in marketing services: the consumer perspective. In J. Shanahan (Ed.), The services challenge: Integrating for competitive advantage (pp. 79-84). Chicago, IL: American Marketing Association.
- Baker, J., Grewal, D., & Parasuraman, A. (1994). The influence of store environment on quality inferences and store image. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 22(4), 328-339. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070394224002
- Baker, J., Parasuraman, A., Grewal, D., & Voss, G. B. (2002). The influence of multiple store environment cues on perceived merchandise value and patronage intentions. Journal of Marketing, 66(2), 120-141.
- Buunk, A. P., & Dijkstra, P. (2011). Does attractiveness sell? Women's attitude toward a product as a function of model attractiveness, gender priming, and social comparison orientation. Psychology & Marketing, 28(9), 958-973. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20421
- Choo, H. J., Lee, M. A., & An, M. A. (2011). The effect of physical attractiveness of fitting model: Focusing on the dual paths of psychological distance and identification. Journal of Consumer Studies, 22(3), 57-82.
- DeNora, T., & Belcher, S. (2000). When you're trying something on you picture yourself in a place where they are playing this kind of music-musically sponsored agency in the British clothing retail sector. The Sociological Review, 48(1), 80-101. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-954X.00204
- Ericksen, M. K. (1997). Using self-congruity and ideal congruity to predict purchase intention: A European perspective. Journal of Euromarketing, 6(1), 41-56. https://doi.org/10.1300/J037v06n01_04
- Gagliano, K. B., & Hathcote, J. (1994). Customer expectations and perceptions of service quality in retail apparel specialty stores. Journal of Services Marketing, 8(1), 60-69. https://doi.org/10.1108/08876049410053311
- Jones, A. M., & Buckingham, J. T. (2005). Self-esteem as a moderator of the effect of social comparison on women's body image. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 24(8), 1164-1187. https://doi.org/10.1521/jscp.2005.24.8.1164
- Keller, K. L. (1993). Conceptualizing, measuring, and managing customer-based brand equity. The Journal of Marketing, 57(1), 1-22.
- Kim, M. H., & Jeon, J. O. (2009). A study on the negative emotions about highly attractive model in ads. Korean Journal of Consumer and Advertising Psychology, 10(2), 183-207.
- Kim, N. (2007). The effect of other customers as a dimension of servicescape. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Kim, S. H. (2007). Effect of the verbal and non-verbal communication of salespersons in service encounter on customers' emotion and behavioral intension-Focusing on the emotional contagion phenomenon-. Journal of Consumer Studies, 18(1), 97-131.
- Koering, S. K., & Page, A. L. (2002). What if your dentist looked like Tom Cruise? Applying the match-up hypothesis to a service encounter. Psychology & Marketing, 19(1), 91-110. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.1003
- Lee, D. J., Kim, M. S., Yu, B. H., & Kim, A. (2008). The effects of brand-self congruity, brand-event congruity, eventself congruity on consumer's brand relationship quality. Journal of Consumer Studies, 19(2), 191-213.
- Lee, H. S., Ahn, K. H., & Ha, Y. W. (2006). Consumer behavior. Seoul: Bobmunsa.
- Lee, M. H., & Lim, S. J. (1999). An effect of extrinsic cue on product evaluation (Part I). Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 23(8), 1218-1227.
- Lehtinen, U., & Lehtinen, J. R. (1991). Two approaches to service quality dimensions. Service Industries Journal, 11(3), 287-303. https://doi.org/10.1080/02642069100000047
- Lovelock, C. H. (1996). Service marketing (3rd ed.). Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Lucker, G. W., Beane, W. E., & Helmreich, R. L. (1981). The strength of the halo effect in physical attractiveness research. The Journal of Psychology, 107(1), 69-75. https://doi.org/10.1080/00223980.1981.9915206
- McElroy, J. C., & DeCarol, T. E. (1999). Physical attractiveness on cognitive evaluations of saleswomen's performance. Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 7(1), 84-100.
- Malär, L., Krohmer, H., Hoyer, W. D., & Nyffenegger, B. (2011). Emotional brand attachment and brand personality: The relative importance of the actual and the ideal self. Journal of Marketing, 75(4), 35-52. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.75.4.35
- Malhotra, N. K. (1988). Self concept and product choice: An integrated perspective. Journal of Economic Psychology, 9(1), 1-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-4870(88)90029-3
- Martin, C. L., & Pranter, C. A. (1989). Compatibility management: Customer-to-customer relationships in service environments. Journal of Services Marketing, 3(3), 5-15.
- Morrow, P. C. (1990). Physical attractiveness and selection decision making. Journal of Management, 16(1), 45-60.
- Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V. A., & Berry, L. L. (1985). A conceptual model of service quality and its implications for future research. The Journal of Marketing, 49(4), 41-50.
- Rosenberg, M. (1979). Conceiving the self. New York, NY: Basic Books.
- Shin, J. R. (2010). Effects of congruence between self image and brand image on brand attitude of jean brands. Unpublished master's thesis, Konkuk University, Seoul.
- Sirge, M. J. (1982). Self-concept in consumer behavior: A critical review. Journal of Consumer Research, 9(3), 287-300. https://doi.org/10.1086/208924
- Soderlund, M. (2011). Other customers in the retail environment and their impact on the customer's evaluations of the retailer. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 18(3), 174-182. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2010.09.006
- Soderlund, M., & Julander, C. R. (2009). Physical attractiveness of the service worker in the moment of truth and its effects on customer satisfaction. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 16(3), 216-226. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2008.11.008
- Sundaram, D. S., & Webster, C. (2000). The role of nonverbal communication in service encounters. Journal of Services Marketing, 14(5), 378-391. https://doi.org/10.1108/08876040010341008
- Yoon, S. W., Seol, S. C., & Hwang, K. M. (2003). Impact of attractiveness and gender on customers' attitude toward salesperson and purchase intention. Journal of Marketing Management Research, 88(1), 55-78.
- Yuen, E. F., & Chan, S. S. (2010). The effect of retail service quality and product quality on customer loyalty. Journal of Database Marketing & Customer Strategy Management, 17(3), 222-240. https://doi.org/10.1057/dbm.2010.13
- Zeithaml, V. A. (1988). Consumer perceptions of price, quality, and value: A means-end model and synthesis of evidence. The Journal of Marketing, 52(3), 2-22. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251446
- The Effects of Family Restaurant’s Social Servicescape on Positive Emotion and Voluntary Behavior vol.9, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.13106/ijidb.2018.vol9.no6.65.
- A Study of Consumers’ Responses to the Attributes of Salespeople in Fashion Retail Stores vol.20, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2018.20.5.509