- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Comparative Analysis Between Korean and Chinese Students in regards to Fashion Product Impulse Buying and Internet Shopping Satisfaction
인터넷 쇼핑몰에서 패션제품의 충동구매와 만족에 관한 한국과 중국 간 비교분석
- Received : 2014.08.06
- Accepted : 2014.10.30
- Published : 2014.12.31
Consumers often act impulsively when making internet purchases. Triggered by easy access to products, lack of social pressure, and absence of delivery impediments, impulse buying frequently occurs in the context of internet shopping. This study tests the structural equation model of the impulse buying process for fashion products when internet shopping and examines impulse buying process differences between Korean and Chinese consumers. A total of 985 usable questionnaires were obtained from college students. Data were analyzed by structural equation model analysis using a correlation matrix with a maximum likelihood by AMOS 21.0. Results showed that increased internet browsing by consumers resulted in more impulse buying as mediated by the urge to buy; in addition, more impulse buying by consumers resulted in a higher consumer satisfaction experience. Pure impulse buying created more important antecedents of satisfaction than the promotion-oriented impulse buying. Impulse buying showed a high similarity between Korean and Chinese consumers; however, increased influence from promotion activities resulted in more fashion product impulse buying for Chinese consumers versus Korean consumers. We confirm that one of the outcomes of the impulse buying process is impulse buying product satisfaction. Korean and Chinese consumers also present similarities and differences in fashion product impulse buying. A managerial implication is discussed for retailers of fashion products to develop strategies to increase consumer browsing and subsequently trigger impulse buying accompanied with consumer satisfaction.
browsing;urge to buy;pure impulse buying;promotion-oriented impulse buying;satisfaction
- '2013 survey on the Internet usage'. (2013, December). Korea Internet Security Agency. Retrieved March 20, 2014, from http://www.kisa.or.kr
- Beatty, S. E., & Ferrell, M. E. (1998). Impulse buying: Modeling its precursors. Journal of Retailing, 74(2), 169-191. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(99)80092-X
- Bloch, P. H., Ridgway, N. M., & Sherrill, D. L. (1989). Extending the concepts of shopping; An investigation of browsing activity. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 17(1), 13-21. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02726349
- 'China, the online market is the gold market'. (2013, October 28). The Herald Business. Retrieved February 4, 2014, from http://news.heraldcorp.com/view.php?ud=20131028000301&md=20131031004743_AT
- Du, K. (2011). A study on the repurchase intentions at internet shopping malls. Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, Daegu.
- Forney, J. C., & Park, E. J. (2009). Browsing perspectives for impulse buying behavior of college students. Texas Association of Family & Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 1(1), 1-3.
- Hauseman, A. (2000). A multi-method investigation of consumer motivations in impulse buying behavior. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 17(5), 403-419. https://doi.org/10.1108/07363760010341045
- 'In 2013 more than 80% of Chinese families enjoy online shopping'. (2014, March 10). Moneytoday. Retrieved March 26, 2014, from http://www.mt.co.kr/view/mtview.php?type=1&no=2014031012158824172&outlink=1
- 'Internet companies, until now finance'. (2014, March 13). Digital Times. Retrieved March 26, 2014, from http://www.dt.co.kr/contents.html?article_no=2014031402012251607003
- Kang, J. S. (2006). Study of impulse buying decision factor in the internet and after purchasing, the change the brand image. Unpublished master's thesis, Keyunghee University, Seoul.
- Kim, E. Y. (2011). Effects of web browsing motivation and retail strategy on purchase conversion behavior for apparel. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 20(4), 849-860. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2011.20.4.849
- Kim, M. S., & Lee, J. H. (2010). A qualitative study on attracting and hindering factors for fashion browsing. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 12(4), 422-430. https://doi.org/10.5805/KSCI.2010.12.4.422
- Kim, M. T. (2012). Consumer Behavior. Seoul: McGrowHill
- Kim, H. D. (2005). A study on the differences of consumer characteristics and post-purchase behavior among impulse purchase groups of internet shopping. Korea Association for Advertising and Public Relations, 7(4), 297-318.
- Lee, E. J. (2011). The effects of internet fashion consumer's impulse buying tendency on positive and negative purchasing behaviors. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 13(4), 511-522. https://doi.org/10.5805/KSCI.2011.13.4.511
- Lee, H. J., & Kim, S. M. (2006). A study on the determinants of impulse purchase of clothing products in the internet shopping mall. The Research Journal on the Costume Culture, 14(6), 917-931.
- Liu, J. (2012). E-impulse buying of fashion products for korean and chinese consumers. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Dong-A University, Busan.
- Lee, H. B., & Lee, H. W. (2003). The impacts of browsing on buying impulsiveness in internet shopping mall. Korean Management Review, 32(5), 1235-1263.
- Mohan, G., Sivakumaran, B., & Sharma, P. (2013). Impact of store environment on impulse buying behavior. European Journal of Marketing, 47(10), 1711-1732. https://doi.org/10.1108/EJM-03-2011-0110
- Park, E. J. (2011). Apparel impulse buying and shopping emotion: Does it differ between Korea and US?. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 20(2), 401-412. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2011.20.2.401
- Park, H. S., Lee, Y., & Kim, H. S. (2010). The effect of perceived website quality of fashion shopping on customer satisfaction and repurchase intention for Korea and Chinese college students. Journal of the Korea Society of Clothing and Textiles, 34(2), 212-225. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2010.34.2.212
- Parboteeah, D. V., Valacich, J. S., & Wells, J. D. (2009). The influence of website characteristics on a consumer's urge to buy impulsively. Information Systems Research, 20(1), 60-78. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1070.0157
- Park, S. Y., & Park, E. J. (2011). Types of internet shopping malls for fashion products. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 20(2), 391-400. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2011.20.2.391
- Park, S. Y., & Park, E. J. (2013). The effects of flow on consumer satisfaction through e-impulse buying for fashion products. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 15(4), 533-542. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2013.15.4.533 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2013.15.4.533
- Punj, G. (2011). Impulse buying and variety seeking: similarities and differences. Journal of Business Research, 64, 745-748. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2010.07.007
- Ryeo, E. Y. (2011). Relationship of shopping orientation, browsing and purchasing behavior in Chinese consumers. Unpublished master's thesis, Chungnam National University, Daejeon.
- Shon, H. K., & Youn, Y. S. (2012). Structural relationships between purchase situation variables, impulses to buy, impulse buying and loyalty. Korea Academic Society of Tourism Management, 27(1), 153-173.
- Verhagen, T., & Dolen, W. V. (2011). The influence of online store beliefs on consumer online impulse buying-A model and empirical application. Information & Management, 48, 320-327. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2011.08.001
- Wang, S. (2011). A study on the determinants of Chinese internet fashion consumer's purchase satisfaction. Unpublished master's thesis, Chungang National University, Seoul.
- Zhao, J. (2010). Comparative research on impulse buying determinant between China and Korea. Unpublished master's thesis, Jeonju University, Jeonju
- Impacts of Fashion Products Attributes and Mobile Shopping Mall Attributes on Impulse Buying Behavior and Satisfaction in Mobile Fashion Shopping Mall vol.18, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2016.18.2.158
- The Effect of Fashion Brand Apps on Smartphones Flow and Consumer Satisfaction in Mobile Shopping vol.18, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2016.18.6.825
- Effects of Shopping Motives and Apps Browsing on Mobile Impulse Buying of Fashion Products vol.19, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2017.19.3.280
- The Study of Impulse Buying Behavior according to Consumption Value in Mobile Fashion Shopping Mall vol.17, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2015.17.3.372
Supported by : 동아대학교