- Volume 27 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Skin Diseases of the Kings during the First Period of Joseon Dynasty
조선전기(朝鮮前期) 임금들의 피부병(皮膚病)에 관한 고찰 - 『조선왕조실록(朝鮮王朝實錄)』을 중심으로 -
- Lee, Hai-Woong (Dept. of Public Health, College of Oriental Medicine, Dong-Eui University) ;
- Lee, Sang-Hyup (Dept. of Oriental Medical Classics, College of Oriental Medicine, Dong-Eui University) ;
- Kim, Hoon (Dept. of Oriental Medical History, College of Oriental Medicine, Dong-Eui University)
- Received : 2014.11.11
- Accepted : 2014.11.22
- Published : 2014.11.30
The "Annals of the Joseon Dynasty (朝鮮王朝實錄)" is the precious historical material which contains royal culture of Joseon dynasty as an official document. It kept a record of the diseases and treatments relating to the 27 Kings for a period of 518 years, who had a variety of different symptoms. Among them the most frequent disease was a skin disorder such as a boil of a painful infected swelling. Dermatosis became the direct cause of death of several Kings. In this article we tried to conduct research using the "Annals of the Joseon Dynasty" into the skin diseases of the Kings during the first period of Joseon dynasty from the first King Taejo (太祖) to the 12th King Injong (仁宗). Among the 12 Kings, the 5th King Munjong (文宗), the 7th King Sejo (世祖), the 9th King Seongjong(成宗), the 10th King Yeonsangun (燕山君), and the 11th King Jungjong suffered from dermatosis. The King Munjong died at the age of 38 and suffered from severe boils before his death. The cause of death is thought to be septicaemia. The King Sejo does not have any specific record of skin disease, however, the recently discovered relics showed the indications of serious skin trouble of boils. The King Seongjong suffered from skin diseases at the age of 20, 27, 28 and 38. Nevertheless, the direct cause of death was not dermatosis. The King Yeonsangun had skin trouble of boils on his face when he was 20. He lost the throne and died of an infectious disease at 31. The King Jungjong had a record of suffering from dermatosis at the beginning of twenties, at the middle of forties, and at the age of 57 when he died. The skin trouble affected the whole of the body. He was treated with acupuncture therapy and medication for both internal and external uses among which folk remedies were included.
Supported by : 동의대학교
- 서울시스템(주). 국역 조선왕조실록 해설집. 서울 : 서울시스템. 1995.
- 국사대사전 편찬위원회. 國史大事典. 서울 : 교육도서. 1988.
- 許浚. 東醫寶鑑. 경남 하동 : 동의보감출판사. 2005.
- 傳統醫學硏究所. 東洋醫學大辭典. 서울 : 成輔社. 2000.
- 辛民敎. 臨床本草學. 서울 : 남산당. 1986.
- 法制處. 古法典用語集. 서울 : 法制處. 1979.
- 張浩良. 中國方劑精華辭典. 天津 : 天津科學技術出版社. 1996.
- 韓醫學大辭典編纂委員會. 韓醫學大辭典.醫史文獻編. 서울 : 東洋醫學硏究院出版部. 1985.
- 金斗鐘. 韓國醫學史. 서울 : 탐구당. 1981.
- 李時珍. 本草綱目. 北京 : 人民衛生出版社. 1990.
- 金勳. 朝鮮前期 君王의 疾病에 관한 硏究. 원광대학교 박사학위 논문. 1996.
- 金勳. 朝鮮時代 임금들의 溫泉浴과 疾病. 韓國醫史學會誌. 2001 ; 14(1).
- 尹漢龍, 尹暢烈. 朝鮮王朝實錄에 나타난 朝鮮中期帝王들의 疾病과 死因硏究. 韓國醫史學會誌. 2001 ; 14(1).
- 金正善. 朝鮮前期 王들의 疾病治療를 通해 본 醫學의 變遷. 서울대학교 박사학위 논문. 2005.
- 金洪均. 全循義의 醫學思想에 관한 小考. 제16회 韓國醫史學會 학술대회 논문집. 2010.
- 방성혜. 조선, 종기와 사투를 벌이다. 서울 : 시대의창. 2012.
- 謝觀. 中國醫學大辭典. 臺北 : 臺灣商務印書館. 1981.
- 李熙昇. 국어대사전. 서울 : 民衆書林. 1998.