- Volume 18 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Proposition of Response Modification Factor of Low-rise Steel Intermediate Moment Frame in Korea using FEMA P695
FEMA P695를 이용한 국내 저층 철골 중간모멘트골조의 반응수정계수 제안
- Received : 2013.10.21
- Accepted : 2013.11.19
- Published : 2014.01.02
In current seismic design code, steel moment frames are classified into ordinary, intermediate, and special moment frames. In the case of special moment frames which have large R-factor, economic design is possible by reducing the design lateral force. However, there is difficulty for practical application due to constraints such as strong column-weak beam requirement. This study evaluated if steel intermediate moment frame could maintain enough seismic capacity when the R-factor is increased from 4.5 to 6. As for the analytical models, steel moment frames of 3 and 5 stories were categorized into four performance groups according to seismic design category. Seismic performances of the frames were evaluated through the procedure based on FEMA P695. FEMA P695 utilizes nonlinear static analysis(pushover analysis) and nonlinear dynamic analysis(incremental dynamic analysis, IDA). In order to reflect the characteristics of Korean steel moment frames on the analytical model, the beam-column connection was modeled as weak panel zone where the collapse of panel zone was indirectly considered by checking its ultimate rotational angle after an analysis is done. The analysis result showed that the performance criteria required by FEMA P695 was satisfied when R-factor increased in all the soil conditions except
Steel Intermediate Moment Frame;Panel Zone;Response Modification Factor;FEMA P695;Seismic Performance Evaluation
- Architectural Institute of Korea, Korean Building Code 2009, c2009.
- Architectural Institute of Korea, Korean Building Code 2005, c2005.
- International Code Council, International Building Code 2003, c2003.
- International Code Council, International Building Code 2000, c2000.
- Kim DH, Lee YH, Chung KR. Recommendations and Comparison of KBC-S, UBC-97, IBC-2000, and IBC-2003. Journal of Korean Society of Steel Construction. 2005 Dec;17(4):31-37.
- Kim TW. Seismic Design of Low-rise Steel Moment Frames in Korea. Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea. 2011 Feb;15(1): 11-18. https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2011.15.1.011
- Kim TW. Seismic Performance Evaluation of Steel Moment Frames in Korea Using Dynamic Analysis. Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea. 2012 Oct;16(4):1-8. https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2012.16.4.001
- FEMA, State of the Art Report on Performance Prediction and Evaluation of Steel Moment-Frame Buildings, FEMA 355F. c2000.
- FEMA, Quantification of Building Seismic Performance Factors, FEMA P695. c2009.
- Moon KH, Jeon YR, Lee CS, Han SW. Evaluation of Performance of Korean Existing School Buildings with Masonry Infilled Walls Against Earthquakes. Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea. 2012 Dec;16(6):37-46. https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2012.16.6.037
- Han SW, Kang KB, Moon KH, Hwang SH. Seismic Performance Evaluation of Steel Moment Resisting Frame Systems According to an Improved Design Method of RBS-B Connections. Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea. 2010 Dec;14(6):75-84. https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2010.14.6.075
- Lee JH, Kang HG, Lee MH, Kim JK. Seismic Performance Evaluation of Staggered Wall Structures Using FEMA P695. Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea. 2012 Jun;16(3):43-50. https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2012.16.3.043
- Mazzoni S, McKenna F, Scott M, Fenves G. Open system for earth quake engineering simulation (OpenSees). User Command Language Manual, University of California, Berkeley: Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center; c2006.
- Lee CH, Park JW. Cyclic Seismic Testing of Full-Scale Column-Tree Type Steel Moment Connections. 1998 Dec;10(4):629-639.
- Gupta A, Krawinkler H. Seismic Demands for Performance Evaluation of Steel Moment Resisting Frame Structures, John A. Blume Earth quake Engineering Research Center Report No.132. c1999.
- FEMA, Prestandard and Commentary for the Seismic Rehabilitation of Buildings, FEMA 356. c2000.
- Vamvatsikos D, Cornell C. Seismic Performance, Capacity and Reliability of Structures as seen through Incremental Dynamic Analysis, John A. Blume Earthquake Engineering Research Center Report No.151. c2005.