- Volume 56 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of different physical forms of concentrate on performance, carcass characteristics, and economic analysis in hanwoo steers
- Kim, Sung Il (Department of Animal Science, Gyeonbuk Provincial College) ;
- Seo, Bo Cheon (Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Jang, In Surk (Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Ouk (Department of Animal Science, Dong-A University) ;
- Choi, Chang Bon (Department of Biotechnolony, Yeungnam University) ;
- Jung, Keun Ki (Moksan Hanwoo Research Institute)
- Received : 2014.04.25
- Accepted : 2014.05.08
- Published : 2014.07.31
This study was performed to investigate the effects of different forms of concentrate fed to Hanwoo steers on performance, carcass characteristics, and economic performance. Forty-two Hanwoo steers (average age of
Hanwoo steers;Flaked concentrate;Grounded concentrate;Economic performance
- Jeong J, Jin GL, Shinekhuu J, Ji BJ, Song MK: Effect of method on nutrient availability in ruminants. Bull Biotechnol 2009, 2:13-21.
- Hale WH, Cuitun L, Saba WJ, Taylor B, Theurer B: Effect of steam processing and flaking milo and barley on performance and digestion by steers. J Anim Sci 1966, 25:392-396. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1966.252392x
- Han YK, Maeng WJ, Park GK, Paik IK, Ohh SJ, Choi YJ: Feed Processings. Seoul, Korea: Sun Jin Mun Hwa Sa; 1993:473-475.
- Theurer CB, Lozano O, Alio A, Delgado-Elorduy A, Sadik M, Huber JT, Zinn RA: Steam-processed corn and sorghum grain flaked at different densities alter ruminal, small intestinal, and total tract digestibility of starch by steers. J AnimSci 1999, 77:2824-2831.
- Neock JE, Tamminga S: Site of digestion of starch in the gastrointestinal tract of dairy cows and its effect on milk yield and composition. J Dairy Sci 1991, 74:3598-3629. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78552-4
- Owens FN, Secrist DS, Hill EJ, Gill DR: The effect of grain source and grain processing on performance of feedlot cattle: a review. J Anim Sci 1997, 75:868-879. https://doi.org/10.2527/1997.753868x
- Livestock Quality Assessment: Grading of Carcasses of Methods, Standards and Enforcement; 2007.
- AOAC: Official Methods of Analysis. 15th edition. Arlington, Virginia USA: Association of Official Analytical Chemist; 1990.
- SAS: SAS User's Guide:Statistics. NC: SAS Institute Inc. Cary; 2002.
- Zinn RA, Barajas R: Influence of flake density on the comparative feeding value of a barley-corn blend for feedlot cattle. J Anim Sci 1997, 75:904-909. https://doi.org/10.2527/1997.754904x
- Swingle RS, Eck TP, Theurer CB, De la Llata N, Poore MG, Moore JA: Flake density of steam-processed sorghum grain alters performance and sites of digestibility by growing-finishing steers. J Anim Sci 1999, 77:1055-1065. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.7751055x
- National Institue of Aniamal Science: Development of technologies for production of high-quality beef from Hanwoo steers. In Effects of Physical Form of Concentrate on Productivity of Hawoo by Feeding Period. 1998:545.
- Theurer CB: Grain processing effect on starch utilization by ruminants. J Anim Sci 1986, 63:1649-1662. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1986.6351649x
- Ministry of Ariculture, Food and Rural Affairs: Development of technologies to improve competitiveness of Hanwoo. In Development of feeding program for production of high-quality beef from Hanwoo steers. 2005:85-92.
- Brandt RT Jr, Kuhl GL, Campbell RE, Kastner CL, Stroda SL: Effects of steam-flaked sorghum grain or corn and supplemental fat on feedlot performance, carcass traits, longissimus composition, and sensory properties of steers. J Anim Sci 1992, 70:343-348. https://doi.org/10.2527/1992.702343x
- Hales KE, McMeniman JP, Leibovich J, Vasconcelos JT, Quinn MJ, May ML, DiLorenzo N, Smith DR, Galyean ML: Effects of varying bulk densities of steam-flaked corn and dietary roughage concentration on in vitro fermentation, performance, carcass quality, and acid-base balance measurements in finishing steers. J Anim Sci 2010, 88(3):1135-1147. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-2400
- Kelly RF, Fontenot JP, Graham PP, Wilkinson WS, Kineaid CM: Estimates of carcass composition of beef cattle fed at different plane of nutrition. J Anim Sci 1968, 27:620-627. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1968.273620x
- Savell JW, Cross HR, Smith GC: Percentage ether extractable fat and moisture content of beef longissimus muscle as related to USDA marbling score. J Food Sci 1986, 51:838-840. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1986.tb13946.x
- Nelson JL, Dolezal HG, Ray FK, Morgan JB: Characterization of certified angus beef steaks from the round, loin, and chuck. J Anim Sci 2004, 82:1437-1444. https://doi.org/10.2527/2004.8251437x
- Cameron PJ, Zembayashi M, Lunt DK, Mitsuhashi T, Mitsumoto M, Dzawa S, Smith SB: Relationship between Japanese Beef Marbling Standard and intramuscular lipid in the m. longissimus thoracis of Japanese Black and American Wagyu cattle. Meat Sci 1994, 38:361-364. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(94)90125-2
- Wood JD: Fat deposition and the quality of fat tissue in meat animals. In Fats in Animal Nutrition. Edited by Wiseman J. 1984:407-435.
- Enser M, Wood JD: Effect of Time of Year on Fatty Acid Composition and Melting Point of UK Lamb, Proceeding of the 39th lnternational congress of meat Science and Technology. 2nd edition. 1993:74.