- Volume 56 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Changes in physicochemical and microbiological properties of isoflavone-treated dry-cured sausage from sulfur-fed pork during storage
- Kim, Ji-Han (Konkuk University of Food Science & Technology) ;
- Pyun, Chang-Won (Konkuk University of Food Science & Technology) ;
- Hong, Go-Eun (Konkuk University of Food Science & Technology) ;
- Kim, Soo-Ki (Konkuk University of Animal Science & Technology) ;
- Yang, Cheul-Young (Eulji University of Food Technology & Services) ;
- Lee, Chi-Ho (Konkuk University of Food Science & Technology)
- Received : 2014.09.23
- Accepted : 2014.09.23
- Published : 2014.10.31
This study was performed to investigate the physicochemical and microbiological properties of isoflavone-treated dry cured sausage from sulfur fed pork (0.3%) during storage at
Supported by : IPET (Korea Institute of Planning and Evaluation for Technology in Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries)
- Marcel BR: Concepts and strategy of functional food science: the European perspective. Am J Clin Nutr 2000, 71:1660-1664.
- Kotilqinen L, Rajalahti R, Ragasa C, Pehu E: Health enhancing foods: opportunities for strengthening the sector in developing countries, Agriculture and Rural Development Discussion; 2006:30.
- INRA: Repertoire general des aliments. Table de composition de corps grras. Paris, France: INRA; 1987.
- Eburne RC, Prentice G: Modified atmosphere- packed ready-to-cook and ready-to eat meat products. In Shelf Life Evaluation of Foods. Edited by Man CMD, Jones AA; 1996:156-178.
- Gray JJ, Gomaa EA, Buckley DJ: Oxidative quality and shelf life of meats. Meat Sci 1996, 43:111-123.
- Ruiz LMB, Mohan AR, Paganga G, Miller NJ, Bolwell GP, Rice ECA: Antioxidant activity of phytoestrogenic isoflavones. Free Radic Res 1997, 26:63-70. https://doi.org/10.3109/10715769709097785
- Kim JH, Lee HR, Pyun CW, Kim SK, Lee CH: Changes in physicochemical, microbiological and sensory properties of dry-cured ham in processed sulfur-fed pigs. J Food Process 2014. in press.
- Han KH, Park JK, Lee CH: Manufacture and product evaluation of fermented sausages inoculated with freeze-dried kimchi powder and starter culture. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour 2006, 26(4):486-490.
- AOAC: Official Methods of Analysis. 17th edition. Gaithersburg, MD: Association of Official Analytical Chemists; 2002.
- Witte VC, Krause GF, Bailey ME: A new extraction method for determining 2- thiobarbituric acid values of pork. Food Technol 1970, 8:326.
- Conway EJ: Microdiffusion Analysis and Volumetric Error. London: Crosby Lockwood and Son Ltd; 1950.
- Lee JI, Min HK, Lee JW, Jeong DJ, Ha YJ, Kwack SC, Park JS: Changes on the quality of loin from pigs supplemented with dietary sulfonyl methane during cold storage. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour 2009, 29:229-237. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2009.29.2.229
- Park JH, Ryu MS, Lee YE, Song GS, Ryu KS: A comparision of fattening performance, physic-chemical properties of breast meat, vaccine titers in cross bred meat type hybrid chicks fed sulfur. Korean J Poult Sci 2003, 30(3):211-217.
- Fidel T: Proteolysis and lipolysis in flavour development of dry-cured meat products. Meat Sci 1998, 49:101-110. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(97)00115-0
- Lee YB, Hargus GL, Webb JE, Rickansrud DA, Hagberg EC: Effect of electrical stunning on postmortem biochemical changes and tenderness in broiler breast muscle. J Food Sci 1979, 44:1121-1122. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1979.tb03461.x
- Bloukas JG, Paneras ED, Fournitzis GC: Effect of replacing pork back fat with olive oil on processing and quality characteristics of fermented sausages. Meat Sci 1997, 45:133-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(96)00113-1
- Puolanne E, Peltonen J: The effects of high salt and low pH on the water-holding of meat. Meat Sci 2013, 93:167-170. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2012.08.015
- Maurice R, Didier A: Culture method to study fungal growth in solid fermentation. Eur J Appl Microbiol 1980, 9:199-209. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00504486
- Leistner L, Rodel W: The stability of intermediate moisture foods with respect to microorganisms. In Intermediate Moisture Foods. Edited by Davies R, Birch G, Parke K. London: Elsevier Applied Science; 1976:120-137.
- Fanco I, Prieto B, Cruz JM, Lopez M, Carballo J: Study of the biochemical changes during the processing Androlla, a Spanish dry-cured pork sausage. Meat Sci 2002, 78:339-345.
- Kumar P, Kumar S, Tripathi MK, Mehta N, Ranjan R, Bhat ZF, Singh PK: Flavonoids in the development of functional meat products: a review. Vet World 2013, 8:573-578.
- Song R, Chen C, Wang L, Johnston LJ, Kerr BJ, Weber TE, Shurson GC: High sulfur content in corn dried distillers grains with soluble protects against oxidized lipids by increasing sulfur-containing antioxidants in nursery pigs. J Anim Sci 2013, 91(6):2715-2728. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2012-5350
- Jiang ZY, Jiang SQ, Lin YC, Xi PB, Yu DQ, Wu TX: Effects of soybean isoflavone on growth performance. Meat quality and antioxidation in male broilers. Poult Sci 2007, 86:1356-1362. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/86.7.1356
- Smith LJ, Alfod JA: Action of microorganisms on the peroxides and carbonyls of rancid fat. J Food Sci 1968, 33(1):93-97. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1968.tb00891.x
- Moerck KE, Ball HR: Lipid autoxidation in mechanically deboned chicken meat. J Food Sci 1974, 39(5):876-879. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1974.tb07265.x
- Stapelfedt H, Bjorn H, Skovgaard IM, Skibsted LH, Bertelsen G: Warmed-over-flavour in cooked sliced beef. Chemical analysis in relation to sensory evaluation. Z Lebensm, Unters Forsch 1992, 195:203-208. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01202796
- Lin KW, Lin SN: Effects of sodium lactate and trisodium phosphate on the physicochemical properties and shelf life of low-fat Chinese style sausage. Meat Sci 2002, 60:147-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00116-4
- Jung S, Choe JH, Kim BN, Yun HJ, Kruk ZA, Jo C: Effect of dietary mixture of gallic acid and linoleic acid on antioxidative potential and quality of breast meat from broilers. Meat Sci 2010, 86:520-526. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.06.007
- Chen WS, Liu DC, Chen MT: Determination of quality changes throughout processing steps in Chinese-style pork jerky. J Anim Sci 2004, 17:700-704.
- Yin LJ, Pan CL, Jiang ST: Effect of lactic acid bacterial fermentation on the characteristics of minced mackerel. J Food Sci 2002, 67:786-792. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2002.tb10677.x
- Quervedo R, Valencia E, Cuevas G, Roneros B, Pedreschi F, Bastias JM: Color changes in the surface of fresh cut meat: A fractal kinetic application. Food Res Int 2013, 54:1430-1436. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2013.10.006
- Lindahl G, Enfalt AC, Seth GV, Joseli A, Ingela HV, Andersen HJ, Braunschweig M, Andersson L, Lundstrom K: A second mutant allele (V1991) at the PRKAG3 (RN) locus- ii. Effect on colour characteristics of pork loin. Meat Sci 2004, 66:621-627. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(03)00180-3
- Kayaardı S, Gok V: Effect of replacing beef fat with olive oil on quality characteristics of Turkish soudjouk (sucuk). Meat Sci 2003, 66:249-257.
- Faustman C, Sun Q, Mancini R, Suman SP: Myoglobin and lipid oxidation interactions: mechanistic bases and control. Meat Sci 2010, 86:86-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.04.025
- Fu AH, Molins RA, Sebranek JG: Storage quality characteristics of beef rib eye steaks packaged in modified atmospheres. J Food Sci 1992, 57:283-287. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1992.tb05477.x
- Perez AJA, Sayes BME, Fernandez-Lopez J, Aranda-Catala V: Physicochemical characteristics of Spanish type dry-cured sausage. Food Res Int 1999, 32:599-607. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-9969(99)00104-0
- Hong HK, Landauer MR, Foriska MA, Ledney GD: Antibacterial activity of the soy isoflavone genistein. J Basci Microbiol 2006, 46(4):329-335. https://doi.org/10.1002/jobm.200510073
- Narayana KR, Reddy SM, Chaluvadi MR, Krishna DR: Bioflavonids classification, pharmacological, chemical effects and therapeutic potential. Indian J Pharmacol 2001, 33:2-16.
- Pham TT, Shah NP: Effect of lactulose on biotransformation of isoflavone glycosides to aglycones in soymilk by lactobacilli. J Food Sci 2008, 73(3):M158-M165. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2008.00687.x
- Lucke FK: Utilization of microbes to process and preserve meat. Meat Sci 2000, 56:105-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(00)00029-2