- Volume 56 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Association of genotype of POU1F1 intron 1 with carcass characteristics in crossbred pigs
- Kim, Gye-Woong (Department of Animal Resources, Kong-Ju National University) ;
- Yoo, Jae-Young (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ewha Woman's University) ;
- Kim, Hack-Youn (Department of Animal Resources, Kong-Ju National University)
- Received : 2014.09.23
- Accepted : 2014.09.23
- Published : 2014.11.30
This study was carried out to investigate the association of POU1F1 (POU domain, class 1, transcription factor 1, Pit1, renamed as POU1F1) gene with backfat thickness (mm), carcass weight (kg), pH, and color values (
POU1F1;Carcass characteristics;Genotypes;Gene;Intron 1
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (MAFRA): Information and Data of Agricultural Statistics of Korea. 2013. Available from http://www. mafra.go.kr/search/ totalSearch. jsp. Accessed May. 14.
- FAO: Global Meat Mardets: Challenges. FAO Commodity and Trade Division. Brussels: FAO; 2003.
- Kim GW: Analysis of carcass quality grades according to gender, backfat thickness and carcass weight in pigs. J Anim Sci Technol 2012, 54:29-33. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2012.54.1.29
- Hong KC, Kin BC, Son YS, Kom BK: Effects of the inating system on fattening performance and meat quality in commercial pigs. J Anim Sci Technol 2001, 43:139-148.
- Jin SK, Kim IS, Hur SJ, Kim SJ, Jeong KJ: The influence of pig breeds on qualities of loin. J Anim Sci Technol 2006, 48:747-758. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2006.48.5.747
- Cohen LE, Wondisford FE, Radovick S: Role of pit-1 in the gene expression of growth hormone, prolactin and thyrotropin. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 1996, 25:523-540. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-8529(05)70339-X
- Hendriks-Stegeman BI, Augustijn KD, Bakker B, Holthuizen P, Vliet PC, Jansen M: Combined pituitary hormone deficiency caused by compound heterozygosity for two novel mutations in the POU domain of the Pit-1/ POU1F1 gene. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2001, 86:1545-1550.
- Brunsch C, Sternstein I, Reinecke P, Bieniek J: Analysis of associations of PIT1 genotypes with growth, meat quality and carcass composition traits in pigs. J Appl Genet 2002, 43:85-91.
- Moody DE, Pomp D, Newman S, MacNeil M: Characterization of DNA polymorphisms in three populations of Hereford cattle and their associations with growth and maternal EPD in line 1 Herefords. J Anim Sci 1996, 74:1784-1793. https://doi.org/10.2527/1996.7481784x
- Renaville R, Gengler N, Vrech E, Prandi A, Massart S, Corradini C, Bertozzi C, Mortiaux F, Burny A, Portetelle D: PIT1 gene polymorphism, milk yield and conformation traits for Italian Holstein-Friesian bulls. J Dairy Sci 1997, 80:3431-3438. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(97)76319-7
- Stancekova K, Vasicek D, Peskovicova D, Bulla J, Kubed A: Effect of genetic variability of the porcine pituitary-specific transcription factor (PIT-1) on carcass traits in pigs. Anim Genet 1999, 30:313-315. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2052.1999.00484.x
- Yu TP, Wang L, Tuggle CK, Rothschild MF: Mapping genes for fatness and growth on pig chromosome 13: a search in the region close to the pig PIT1 gene. J Anim Breed Genet 1999, 116:269-280. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1439-0388.1999.00198.x
- Song CY, Gao B, Teng S, Wang XY, Xie F, Chen G, Wang Z, Jing R, Mao J: Polymorphisms in intron 1 of the porcine POU1F1 gene. J Appl Genet 2007, 48(4):371-374. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03195234
- Kim GW, Yoo JY: Analysis of carcass characteristics in the 3rd intron of pig POU1F1 gene. J Anim Sci Technol 2009, 51(4):283-288. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2009.51.4.283
- Franco MM, Antunes RC, Silva HD, Goular LR: Association of P1T1, GH and GHRH polymorphisms with performance and carcass traits in landrace pigs. J Appl Genet 2005, 46:195-200.
- Choi JR, Oh JD, Cho KJ, Lee JH, Kong HS, Lee HK: Identification and analysis of PIT1 polymorphisms and its association with growth and carcass traits in korea cattles (Hanwoo). J Emb Trans 2007, 22(3):167-172.
- Yu TP, Tuggle CK, Schmitz CB, Rothschild MF: Association of PIT1 polymorphisms with growth and carcass traits in pigs. J Anim Sci 1995, 73:1282-1288. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.7351282x
- Oh HS, Kim HY, Yang HS, Lee JI, Joo YK, Kim CU: Comparison of meat quality characteristics between crossbreeds. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour 2008, 28(2):171-180. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2008.28.2.171
- Choi YS, Park BY, Lee JM, Lee SK: Comparison of carcass and meat quality characteristics between Korean native black pigs and commercial crossbred pigs. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour 2005, 25(3):322-327.
- Kim IS, Jin SK, Song YM, Park KH, Kang SM, Ha JH, Kim IJ, Park YS, Kim JH: Quality characteristics of pork by sex on crossbred pigs. Korean J Intl Agri 2006, 18(1):34-39.
- Kim GD, Jeong JY, Hur SJ, Yang HS, Jeon JT, Joo ST: The relationship between meat color(CIE L* and a*), myoglobin content, and their influence on muscle fiber characteristics and pork quality. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour 2010, 30(4):626-633. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2010.30.4.626
- Brewer MS, Zhu LG, Bidner BD, Meisinger J, McKeith FK: Measuring pork color: Effects of bloom time, muscle, pH and relationship to instrumental parameters. Meat Sci 2001, 57:169-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(00)00089-9