- Volume 3 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
First Report of Waitea Ring Patch caused by Waitea circinata on Zoysiagrass
Zoysiagrass에 Waitea circinata에 의한 Waitea Ring Patch 발생
- Kim, Kyung-Duck (Plant & Environment Research Center, Samsung Cheil Industries) ;
- Hong, Sung-Chul (Department of Molecular Biology, Dankook University) ;
- Jang, Kong-Man (Plant & Environment Research Center, Samsung Cheil Industries) ;
- Han, Muho (Plant & Environment Research Center, Samsung Cheil Industries) ;
- Pyee, Jae-Ho (Department of Molecular Biology, Dankook University) ;
- Park, Dae-Sup (Plant & Environment Research Center, Samsung Cheil Industries)
- 김경덕 (제일모직(주) 식물환경연구소) ;
- 홍성철 (단국대학교 분자생물학과) ;
- 장공만 (제일모직(주) 식물환경연구소) ;
- 한무호 (제일모직(주) 식물환경연구소) ;
- 피재호 (단국대학교 분자생물학과) ;
- 박대섭 (제일모직(주) 식물환경연구소)
- Received : 2014.11.18
- Accepted : 2014.12.08
- Published : 2014.12.31
A new pathogen was isolated from zoysiagrass-planted park of Jeju island in 2014. Symptoms appeared a type of irregular patches occurring brownish leaf blight, followed by stem and crown rot. The symptom was very similar to that of large patch caused by Rhizoctonia solani, a well-known devastating zoysiagrass disease. The isolate showed thin orange-colored mycelia and screlotia were formed on the medium based on cultural characteristics. The causal agent of the disease was finally identified as Waitea circinata by analysis of ribosomal DNA. On the inoculation test, Waitea circinatae showed strong pathogenicity to the zoysiagrass. The mycelia were obviously observed in the inoculated tissues. This is the first report of Waitea ring patch caused by Waitea circinata on zoysiagrass.
Turf disease;Waitea circinata;Waitea ring patch;Zoysiagrass
- Chang, T. and Lee, Y.S. 2013. Occurrence of brown patch on Kentucky bluegrass caused by Rhizoctonia solani AG-1 IB. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 2(1):88-94. (In Korean) https://doi.org/10.5660/WTS.2013.2.1.088
- Chen, C.M., de la Cerda, K.A., Kaminski, J.E., Douhan, G.W. and Wong, F.P. 2009. Geographic distribution and rDNA-ITS region sequence diversity of Waitea circinata var. circinata isolated from annual bluegrass in the United States. Plant Dis. 93:906-911. https://doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-93-9-0906
- Tredway, L.P., Stowell, L.J. and Gelernter, W. 2006. Yellow spot and the potential role of cyanobacteria as turfgrass pathogens. GCM. Nov. 2006:83-86.
- De la Cerda, K.A., Douhan, G.W. and Wong, F.P. 2007. Discovery and characterization of Waitea circinata var. circinata affecting annual bluegrass from the Western United States. Plant Disease 91(7):791-797. https://doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-91-7-0791
- Gunnell, P.S. 1986. Characterization of the telemorphs of Rhizoctonia oryzae-sativae, Rhizoctonia oryzae, and Rhizoctonia zeae, and the effect of cultural practices on aggregate sheath spot of rice caused by Rhizoctnia oryzae-sativae. PhD Diss., California State Univ., Davis.
- Leiner, R.H. and Carling, D. 1994. Charaterization of Waitea circinata (Rhizoctonia) isolated from agricultural soils in Alaska. Plant Dis. 78:385-388. https://doi.org/10.1094/PD-78-0385
- Turgeon, A.J. and Vargas Jr, J.M. 2006. The turf problem solver. John Wiley and Sons, NJ, USA. pp. 162-163.
- Morphological Characteristics and Occurrence of Yellow Tuft on Zoysiagrass (Zoysia japonica) in Cultivation Fields vol.5, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5660/WTS.2016.5.1.17