- Volume 3 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Cool-Season Grass Overseeding on Coverage and Spring Transition in Zoysiagrass
들잔디에 오버씨딩 시 한지형 잔디의 피복율과 초종전이
- Jung, Ki-Wan (Dept. of Environmental Horticulture, Graduate School, Sahmyook University) ;
- Kim, Kyoung-Nam (Dept. of Horticulture, College of Science and Technology, Sahmyook University)
- Received : 2014.11.17
- Accepted : 2014.12.19
- Published : 2014.12.31
Research was initiated to evaluate cool-season grass (CSG) overseeding effects on coverage and species transition in Korean lawngrass (Zoysia japonica Steud.) and to determine CSGs and their seeding rate for a practical overseeding. Treatments were comprised of Kentucky bluegrass (KB, Poa pratensis L.), perennial ryegrass (PR, Lolium perenne L.), tall fescue (TF, Festuca arundinacea Schreb.) and their mixtures. Significant differences were observed in turfgrass coverage and species transition. Since overseeding, the coverage was highest in PR, followed by TF and lowest in KB. The highest coverage in polystand was associated with Mixture IV (TF 50 + PR 50) at a seeding rate of
Cool-season grasss;Korean lawngrass;Turfgrass coverage;Turfgrass transition;Zoysiagrass recovery rate
- Fry, J. and Huang, B. 2004. Applied turfgrass science and physiology. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ, USA.
- Beard, J.B. 1973. Turfgrass: Science and culture. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA.
- Beard, J.B. and Beard, H.J. 2005. Beard's turfgrass encyclopedia for golf courses, grounds, lawns and sports fields. Michigan State Univ. Press, East Lansing, MI, USA.
- Dipaola, J.M. and Beard, J.B. 1992. Physiological effects of temperature stress. Agron. Monogr. 32:231-267.
- Huh, K.Y., Yeam, D.Y. and Joo, Y.K. 1984. Studies on prolongation of the green period in zoysiagrasses. J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 2(1):90-91. (Abstr.) (In Korean)
- Kim, K.N. 2012. STM Series I: Introductory turfgrass science. 2nd ed., Sahmyook Univ. Press, Seoul, Korea. (In Korean)
- Kim, K.N. 1986. Effects of photoperiod and temperature on the growth and flowering in Zoysia japonica (Steud.). MS Thesis, Seoul National Univ., Seoul, Korea.
- Kim, K.N. 2005. Comparison of summer turf performance, color and green color retention among cool-season grasses grown under USGA soil system. J. Kor. Inst. Landscape Architecture 33(5):18-30. (In Korean)
- Kim, K.N. 2006. STM Series II: Turfgrass management. Sahmyook Univ., Press, Seoul, Korea. (In Korean)
- Kim, K.N. 2013a. Comparison of color quality, winter color, and spring green-up among major turfgrasses grown under three different soil systems. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 31(3):259-268. (In Korean) https://doi.org/10.7235/hort.2013.11131
- Kim, K.N. 2013b. STM Series III: Turfgrass establishment. 2nd ed., Sahmyook Univ., Press, Seoul, Korea. (In Korean)
- Kim, K.N., Choi, J.S. and Nam, S.Y. 2003a. Turf performance of warm-season grass and cool-season grass grown in multi-layer system, USGA system and mono-layer system for athletic field. J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 44:539-544. (In Korean)
- Kim, K.N. and Jung, K.W. 2009. Germination characteristics and daily seed germinating pattern of 8 new varieties of perennial ryegrass under alternative conditions required by ISTA. J. Korean Env. Res. & Reveg. Tech. 12(3):72-82. (In Korean)
- Kim, K.N. and Nam, S.Y. 2003. Comparison of early germinating vigor, germination speed and germination rate of varieties in Poa pratensis L., Lolium perenne L., and Festuca arundinacea Schreb. grown under different growing conditions. Kor. J. Turfgrass Sci. 17:1-12. (In Korean)
- Minner, D.D., Dernoeden, P.H., Wehner, D.J., and McIntosh, M.S. 1983. Heat tolerance screening of field-grown cultivars of Kentucky bluegrass and perennial ryegrass. Agron. J. 75:772-775. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1983.00021962007500050012x
- Kim, K.N., Park, W.K. and Nam, S.Y. 2003b. Comparison of establishment vigor, uniformity, rooting potential and turf quality of sods of Kentucky bluegrass, perennial ryegrass, tall fescue and cool-season grass mixtures grown in sand soil. Kor. J. Turfgrass Sci. 17:129-146. (In Korean)
- Lee, S.K., Kim, Y.J. and Ku, J.H. 2004. Growth of cool-season turfgrasses overseeded on Japanese lawngrass . Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 22(Suppl. I) p.123. (Abstr.) (In Korean)
- Lee, S.K. and Ku, J.H. 2004. Overseeded trials on fairway Japanese lawngrass to improve winter color. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 22(Suppl. I) p.122. (Abstr.) (In Korean)
- Park, B.J. 2003. Ecological studies on the warm-season turfgrass and cool-season turfgrass mixtures. J. Kor. Korean Env. Res. Reveg. Tech. 6(5):21-27. (In Korean)
- Salisbury, F.B. and Ross, C.W. 1992. Plant physiology. 4th ed., Wadsworth Publishing Company, Belmont, CA, USA.
- SAS Inst., Inc. 2001. SAS/STAT user's guide: Statistics version 8.00, SAS Inst., Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Severmutlu, S., Riordan, T.P., Shearman, R.C., Gaussoin, R.E. and Moser, L.E. 2005. Overseeding buffalograss turf with fine-leaved fescues. Crop Sci. 45:704-711. https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci2005.0704
- Shim, S.R. 1996. Characteristics, uses, and establishment method of cool-season grasses of four-season green color. Environ. Landscape Architecture Kor. 97:148-153. (In Korean)
- Shim, S.R. and Jeong, D.Y. 1999. Soil media and seeding rates for the establishment of Kentucky bluegrass carpet-type sod over a plastic sheet. J. Kor. Env. Res. Reveg. Tech. 2(1):20-28. (In Korean)
- Shim, S.R., Jeong, D.Y. and Ahn, B.J. 2004. Effects of cool-season turfgrass overseeding onto zoysiagrass. J. Kor. Env. Res. Reveg. Tech. 7(5):85-93. (In Korean)
- Vengris, J. and Torello, W.A. 1982. Lawns-Basic factors, construction, and maintenance of fine turf areas. Thomson Publications, Fresno, CA, USA.
- Steel, R.G.D. and Torrie, J.H. 1980. Principles and procedures of statistics. 2nd ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA.
- Thorogood, D. 2003. Perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.) pp.75-105. In: Casler, M.D. and Duncan, R.R. (Eds.). Turfgrass bology, genetics, and breeding. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ, USA.
- Turgeon, A.J. 2005. Turfgrass management. 7th ed., Prentice-Hall, Inc., Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA.
- Wallner, S.J., Becwar, M.R. and Butler, J.D. 1982. Measurement of turfgrass heat tolerance in vitro. J. Am. Soc. Hortic. Sci. 107:608-613.
- Watschke, T.L. and Schmidt, R.E. 1992. Ecological aspects of turf communities. Agron. Monogr. 32:331-383.
- Wehner, D.J. and Watschke, T.L. 1981. Heat tolerance of Kentucky bluegrass, perennial ryegrass and annual bluegrass. Agron. J. 73:79-84. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1981.00021962007300010019x
- Yeam, D.Y. and Huh, K.Y. 1985. Studies on the selection of the year round green turf. J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 3(1):74-75. (Abstr.) (In Korean)
- Yeam, D.Y., Huh, K.Y. and Joo, Y.K. 1985. Studies on prolongation of the green period in zoysiagrasses. J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 26(10):66-75. (In Korean)
- Youngner, V.B. 1961. Growth and flowering of Zoysia species in response to temperature, photoperiods, and light intensities. Crop Sci. 1:91-93. https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci1961.0011183X000100020003x
- Youngner, V.B. 1962. Which is the best turfgrass? Calif. Turfgrass Culture 12:30-31.