- Volume 3 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Biological Control using the Composted Liquid Manure on Large Patch in Zoysiagrass (Zoysia japonica)
- Ryu, Ju Hyun ;
- Shim, Gyu Yul ;
- Lee, Sang-Kook ;
- Kim, Ki Sun
- Received : 2014.11.21
- Accepted : 2014.12.15
- Published : 2014.12.31
This study was conducted to investigate whether several composted liquid manures (CLMs) are useful for biological control of large patch on zoysiagrass and investigate the chemical and biological factors to suppress large patch in soil treated with CLMs. The CLMs were produced at 4 different facilities for livestock excretion treatments located in Korea. Field experiments were carried out at 5 golf courses located near each facility. CLM and Chemical fertilizer (CF: water soluble fertilizer, 20-20-20) were applied four and three times with N at
Compost;Fluorescein diacetate;Suppressive soil;Sustainable management
- Boulter, J.I., Boland, G.J. and Trevors, J.T. 2002. Evaluation of composts for suppression of dollar spot (Sclerotinia homoeocarpa) of turfgrass. Plant Dis. 86:405-410. https://doi.org/10.1094/PDIS.2002.86.4.405
- Bremner, J.M. 1996. Nitrogen-total, pp. 1085-1121. In: J.M. Bartels and D.L. Sparks (eds.). Methods of soil analysis. Part 3-Chemical methods. Soil Sci. Soc. Am., Madison, WI.
- Chandrashekara, C., Kumar, R., Bhatt, J.C. and Chandrashekara, K.N. 2012. Eco-friendly Innovative Approaches in Plant Disease Management. Ch. 14. pp. 241-256. Oscar Publications, DEL, India.
- Chang, T.H., Ru, Y.J. and Lee, Y.S. 2007. Soil mineral nutrients and microbes are responsible for large patch disease caused by Rhizoctonia solani AG2-2 in zoysiagrass turf. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 21:113-126
- Chen, W., Hoitink, A.J., Schmittenner, A.F. and Tuovinen, O.H. 1988. The role of microbial activity in suppression of damping-off caused by Pythium ultimum. Phytopathol. 78:314-322. https://doi.org/10.1094/Phyto-78-314
- Duffy, B.K., Ownley, B.H. and Weller, D.M. 1997. Soil chemical and physical properties associated with suppression of take-all of wheat by Trichoderma koningii. Phytopathol. 87:1118-1124. https://doi.org/10.1094/PHYTO.1918.104.22.1688
- Ghini, R., Patrycio, F.R.A., Bettiol, W., Almeida, I.M.G. and Maia, A.H.N. 2007. Effect of sewage sludge on suppressiveness to soilborne plant pathogens. Soil Biol. Biochem. 39:2797-2805. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soilbio.2007.06.002
- Garling, D.C. and Boehm, M.J. 2001. Temporal effects of compost and fertilizer applications on nitrogen fertility of golf course turfgrass. Agron. J. 93:548-555. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj2001.933548x
- Gerhardson, B. 2002. Biological substitutes for pesticides. Trends Biotechnol. 20:338-343. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-7799(02)02021-8
- Ghini, R. and Morandi, M.B. 2006. Biotic and abiotic factors associated with soil suppressiveness to Rhizoctonia solani. Sci. Agric. 63:153-160.
- Ham, S.K., Kim, Y.S. and Park, C.H. 2010. The growth effects of creeping bentgrass by SCB (slurry composting and biofilteration) liquid fertilizer application. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 24:56-61. (In Korean)
- Hoitinka, H.A.J. and Grebusa, M.E. 1994. Status of biological control of plant diseases with composts. Compost Sci. Utilization 2:6-12.
- Karcher, D.E. and Richardson, M.D. 2005. Batch analysis of digital images to evaluate turfgrass characteristics. Crop Sci. 45:1536-1539. https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci2004.0562
- Lee, S.J., Shim, K.K., Kim, Y.K. and Hue, K.Y. 1998. Suppression of Rhizoctonia spp. by antagonistic microorganisms and their compatibility with fungicides. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 12:23-30. (In Korean)
- Liu, S. and Baker, R. 1980. Mechanism of biological control in soils suppressive to Rhizoctonia solani. Phytopathol. 70:404-412. https://doi.org/10.1094/Phyto-70-404
- Miller, W.P. and Miller, D.M. 1987. A micropipette method for soil mechanical analysis. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 18:1-15. https://doi.org/10.1080/00103628709367799
- Moody, A.R. and Gindrat, D. 1977. Biological control of cucumber black root rot by Gliocladium roseum. Phytopathol. 67:1159-1162.
- Noble, R. and Coventry, E. 2005. Suppression of soil-borne plant diseases using composts: a review. Biocontrol Sci. Technol. 15:3-20 https://doi.org/10.1080/09583150400015904
- Naidu, Y., Meon, S. and Siddiqui, Y. 2012. In vitro and in vivo evaluation of microbial-enriched compost tea on the development of powdery mildew on melon. BioControl 57:827-836. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10526-012-9454-2
- Nelson, E.B. and Boehm, M.J. 2002. Compost-induced suppression of turf grass diseases. BioCycle 43:51-51.
- NIAST (National Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology). 2000. Methods of soil and plant analysis. National Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology, RDA, Suwon, Korea.
- Obasa, K., Fry, J., St. John, R. and Kennelly, M. 2013. Effect of cultivation and timing of nitrogen fertilization on large patch disease of zoysiagrass. Plant Dis. 97:1075. https://doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-10-12-0942-RE
- Ruppel, E.G., Baker, R., Harman, G.E., Hubbard, J.P., Hecker, R.J., et al. 1983. Field tests of Trichoderma harzianum Rifai aggr. as a biocontrol agent of seedling disease in several crops and Rhizoctonia root rot of sugar beet. Crop Prot. 2:399-408. https://doi.org/10.1016/0261-2194(83)90060-1
- Santos, I. and Bettiol, W. 2003. Effect of sewage sludge on the rot and seedling damping-off of bean plants caused by Sclerotium rolfsii. Crop Prot. 22:1093-1097. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-2194(03)00140-6
- Scheuerell, S.J. and Mahaffee, W.F. 2002. Compost tea: principles and prospects for plant disease control. Compost Sci. Utilization 10:313-338. https://doi.org/10.1080/1065657X.2002.10702095
- Tu, C.M. 1980. Influence of five pyrethroid insecticides on microbial populations and activities in soil. Microb. Ecol. 5:321-327. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02020339
- Ushiwata, S.Y., Amemiya, Y. and Inubushi, K. 2009. Inhibition of in vitro growth of Rhizoctonia solani by liquid residue derived from steam-treated grass clippings. J. General Plant Pathol. 75:312-315. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10327-009-0174-0
- Walker, J.C. and Foster, R.E. 1946. Plant nutrition in relation to disease development. III. Fusarium wilt of tomato. Am. J. Bot. 33:259-264. https://doi.org/10.2307/2437431
- Welbaum, G.E., Sturz, A.V. Dong, Z. and Nowak, J. 2004. Managing soil microorganisms to improve productivity of agro-ecosystems. Crit. Rev. Plant Sci. 23:175-193. https://doi.org/10.1080/07352680490433295
Supported by : Rural Development Administration