- Volume 3 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Environmental Monitoring of Herbicide Tolerant Genetically Modified Zoysiagrass (Zoysia japonica) around Confined Field Trials
제초제저항성 유전자변형 들잔디의 시험 격리포장 주변 환경방출 모니터링
- Lee, Bumkyu (Biosafety Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Park, Kee Woong (Department of Crop Science, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Chang-Gi (Bio-Evaluation Center, KRIBB) ;
- Kang, Hong-Gyu (Subtropical Horticulture Research Institute, Jeju National University) ;
- Sun, Hyeon-Jin (Subtropical Horticulture Research Institute, Jeju National University) ;
- Kwon, Yong-Ik (Subtropical Horticulture Research Institute, Jeju National University) ;
- Song, In-Ja (Subtropical Horticulture Research Institute, Jeju National University) ;
- Ryu, Tae-Hun (Biosafety Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Lee, Hyo-Yeon (Subtropical Horticulture Research Institute, Jeju National University)
- 이범규 (국립농업과학원 생물안전성과) ;
- 박기웅 (충남대학교 식물자원학과) ;
- 김창기 (한국생명공학연구원 바이오평가센터) ;
- 강홍규 (제주대학교 아열대원예산업연구소) ;
- 선현진 (제주대학교 아열대원예산업연구소) ;
- 권용익 (제주대학교 아열대원예산업연구소) ;
- 송인자 (제주대학교 아열대원예산업연구소) ;
- 류태훈 (국립농업과학원 생물안전성과) ;
- 이효연 (제주대학교 아열대원예산업연구소)
- Received : 2014.11.13
- Accepted : 2014.12.05
- Published : 2014.12.31
The cultivation area and use of genetically modified (GM) crops have been increased continuously over the world. Seed distribution and transgenes to environmental ecosystem is one of the most important factors in risk assessment and risk management of GM crop. Safe management for the development and commercialization of GM crops is required according to The Act on Transboundary Movements of Living Modified Organisms,etc (LMO Act) in Korea. This study was conducted to setup the environmental monitoring system of GM zoysiagrass (event JG21 and JG21-MS). The monitoring was performed in 4 GMO confined fields, Sungwhan, Ochang, Jeju University and Jeju Namwon. In the result of monitoring, we could not found any gene flow and distribution of GM zoysiagrass in the 3 fields, but one spill of JG21 was found in the Namwon field in 2012. These results suggest that continuous monitoring is necessary to detect the occurrence of GM zoysiagrass for preventing genetic contamination in natural environment.
Environmental monitoring;Genetically modified;Risk assessment;Seed distribution;Zoysiag
Grant : Research Program for Agricultural Science & Technology Development
Supported by : National Academy of Agricultural Science
- Bae, T.W., Lee, H.Y., Ryu, K.H., Lee, T.H., Lim, P.O., et al. 2007. Evaluation of horizontal gene transfer from genetically modified zoysiagrass to the indigenous microorganisms in isolated GMO field. Kor. J. Plant Biotechnol. 34:75-80. (In Korean) https://doi.org/10.5010/JPB.2007.34.1.075
- Bae, T.W., Vanjildorj, E., Song, S.Y., Nishiguchi, S., Yang, S.S., et al. 2008. Environmental risk assessment of genetically engineered herbicide tolerant Zoysia japonica. J. Environ. Qual. 37:207-18. https://doi.org/10.2134/jeq2007.0128
- Bae, T.W., Kim, J., Song, I.J., Song, S.Y., Lim, P.O., et al. 2009. Production of unbolting lines through gamma-ray irradiation mutagenesis in genetically modified herbicide-tolerant Zoysia japonica. Breeding Sci. 59:103-105. https://doi.org/10.1270/jsbbs.59.103
- Bae, T.W., Song, I.J., Kang, H.G., Jeong, O.C., Sun, H.J., et al. 2010. Selection of male-sterile and dwarfism genetically modified Zoysia japonica through gamma irradiation. J. Radiation Indust. 4(3):239-246.
- James, C. 2014. Global status of commercialized biotech / GM crops: 2013, BRIEF 46. http://www.isaaa.org (Accessed on Nov. 1, 2014).
- Bae, T.W., Kang, H.G., Song, I.J., Sun, H.J., Ko, S.M., et al. 2011. Environmental risk assessment of genetically modified Herbicide-Tolerant zoysiagrass (Event: Jeju Green21). J. Plant Biotechnol. 38:105-116. https://doi.org/10.5010/JPB.2011.38.2.105
- Biosafety white paper. 2013. LMO perception and communication. http://www.biosafety.or.kr (Accessed on Nov. 1, 2014).
- Ge, Y., Norton, T. and Wang, Z.Y. 2006. Transgenic Zoysia (Zoysia japonica) plants obtained by Agrobacterium-mediated transformation. Plant Cell Rep. 25:792-98. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00299-006-0123-8
- Kang, H.G., Bae, T.W., Jeong, O.C., Sun, H.J., Lim, P.O., et al. 2009. Evaluation of viability, shedding pattern, and longevity of pollen from genetically modified (GM) herbicide-tolerant and wildtype zoysiagrass (Zoysia japonica Steud.). J. plant Biol. 52:630-634. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12374-009-9074-2
- KBCH. 2014. Stats of GM crops in Korea. http://www.biosafety.or.kr (Accessed on Nov. 1, 2014).
- Kim, K.N. 2006. Introductory turfgrass science. Sahmyook Univ. Nowongu, Seoul. Korea pp. 23-28
- Kim, C.G., Yi, H., Park, S., Yeon, J.E., Kim, D.Y., et al. 2006. Monitoring the occurrence of genetically modified soybean and maize around cultivated fields and at a grain receiving port in Korea. J. Plant Biol. 49:218-223. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03030536
- Kim, D.Y., Nam, K.J., Moon, Y.S., Kim, D.I., Kim, Y.J., et al. 2012. Monitoring of the escape of introduced genes of transgenic oilseed rapes outside the trial site in a confined field trial. Kor. J. Int. Agri. 24:241-246. (In Korean)
- Lee, B., Kim, C., Park, J., Yi, H., Park, K.W., et al. 2007. Survey of herbicide resistant oilseed rapes the basin of rivers in Incheon harbor area. Kor. J. Weed Sci. 27:29-35. (In Korean)
- Park, K.W., Lee, B., Kim, C.G., Kim, D.Y., Park, J.Y., et al. 2010. Monitoring the occurrence of genetically modified maize at a grain receiving port and along transportation routes in the Republic of Korea. Food Control 2:456-461.
- Lee, B., Kim, C.G., Park, J.Y., Park, K.W., Kim, H.J., et al. 2009. Monitoring the occurrence of genetically modified soybean and maize in cultivated fields and along the transportation routes of the Incheon Port in South Korea. Food Control 20:250-254. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2008.05.006
- Li, R.F., Wei, J.H., Wang, H.G., He, J. and Sun, Z.Y. 2006. Development of highly regenerable callus lines and Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Chinese lawngrass (Zoysia sinica Hance) with a cold inducible transcription factor, CBF1. Plant Cell Tissue Organ Cult. 85:297-305. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11240-006-9080-8
- Park, K.W., Kim, C., Kim, D.I., Yi, H., Lee, B., et al. 2007. Competitive ability and possibility of increased weediness of transgenic rice tolerant to abiotic stresses. Kor. J. Weed Sci. 27:359-365. (In Korean)
- PG Economics. 2011. Biotech crops: evidence of global outcomes and impacts 1996-2009. http://www.pgeconomics.co.uk (Accessed on Nov. 1, 2014).
- Snow, A.A. and Palma, P.M. 1997. Commercialization of transgenic plants: potential ecological risks. BioScien. 47:86-96. https://doi.org/10.2307/1313019
- Sun, H.J., Song, I.J., Bae, T.W. and Lee, H.Y. 2010. Recent developments in biotechnological improvement of Zoysia japonica Steud. J. Plant Biotechnol. 37:400-407. (In Korean) https://doi.org/10.5010/JPB.2010.37.4.400
- Toyama, K., Bae, C.H., Kang, J.G., Lim, Y.P., Adachi, T., et al. 2003. Production of herbicide-tolerant zoysiagrass by Agrobacteriummediated transformation. Mol. Cells 16:19-27.
- Zhang, L., Wu, D., Zhang, L. and Yang, C. 2007. Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Japanese lawngrass (Zoysia japonica Steud.) containing a synthetic cryIA (b) gene from Bacillus thuringiensis. plant Breeding 126:428-432. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0523.2007.01320.x
- Influence of heading date difference on gene flow from GM to non-GM rices vol.30, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12719/KSIA.2018.30.4.347