- Volume 35 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Research Strategy on Columnar Joint in South Korea
우리나라 주상절리에 대한 연구 전략
- Ahn, Kun Sang (Department of Earth Science Education, Chosun University)
- 안건상 (조선대학교 지구과학교육과)
- Received : 2014.09.03
- Accepted : 2014.10.21
- Published : 2014.12.31
Based on a summary of the previous studies on columnar joints, this study presents research strategies and subjects to understand a formation of columnar joints, and its application in South Korea as follows; geometry of colonnade and entablature, formation mechanism and pattern change, surface morphology and internal structure, platy joint at the top and the bottom of columnar joints, crack patterns in drying starch-water slurries, using numerical models and computer graphics on joint formation, scale and geometry concerned with occurrence of volcanic rock, petrological and mineralogical study of the host rock. Additionally, more research is needed, such as deformation of column pattern during the hot state, secondary landform by alteration and weathering on the Earth's surface such as rock stream, tor and tafoni. This study will take an active role in research of columnar joint and the Cenozoic lava flow of South Korea. Results of this study will be useful to the activation of geotourism and geological field study.
Supported by : 조선대학교
- Ahn, K.S., 2014, Distribution and petrology of the columnar joint in South Korea. Journal of the Petrological Society of Korea, 23, 45-59. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.7854/JPSK.2014.23.2.45
- Aydin, A. and DeGraff, J.M., 1988, Evolution of polygonal fracture patterns in lava flows. Science, 239, 471-476. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.239.4839.471
- Boots, B.N. and Murdoch, D.J., 1983, The spatial arrangement of random Voroni polygons. Computers & Geosciences, 9, 351-365. https://doi.org/10.1016/0098-3004(83)90006-7
- Bosshard, S.A., Mattsson, H.B., and Hetenyi, G., 2012, Origin of internal flow structures in columnar-jointed basalt from Hreppholar, Iceland: I. Textural and geochemical characterization. Bulletin of Volcanology, 74, 1645-1666. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00445-012-0623-z
- Budkewitsch, P. and Robin, P.Y., 1994, Modelling the evolution of columnar joints. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 59, 219-239. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-0273(94)90092-2
- Chiba, N., Muraoka K., and Fujita K., 1998, An erosion model based on velocity fields for the visual simulation of mountain scenery. The Journal of Visualization and Computer Animation, 9, 185-194. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1778(1998100)9:4<185::AID-VIS178>3.0.CO;2-2
- Crostack, H.A., Nellesen, J., Fischer, G., Hofmann, M., Rademacher, H.G., and Tillmann, W., 2012, Analysis of crack patterns in drying corn starch by in-situ radiography and X-ray computer tomography. Experimental Mechanics, 52, 917-932. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11340-011-9581-1
- Gilman, J.J., 2009, Basalt columns, large scale constitutional supercooling? Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 184, 347-350. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2009.04.017
- Goehring, L., Morris S.W., and Lin, Z., 2006, An experimental investigation of the scaling of columnar joints. Physical Review E, 74, 36-115.
- Goehring, L., 2008, On the scaling and ordering of columnar joints. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada. 172 p.
- Goehring, L. and Morris, S.W., 2008, The scaling of columnar joints in basalt. Journal of Geophysical Research, 113B, 113-129.
- Gray, N.H., 1986, Symmetry in a natural fracture pattern: The origin of columnar joint networks. Computers & Mathematics with Applications, 12B, 531-545.
- Grossenbacher, K.A. and McDuffie, S.M., 1995, Conductive cooling of lava: Columnar joint diameter and stria width as functions of cooling rate and thermal gradient. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 69, 95-103. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-0273(95)00032-1
- Guy, B., 2010, Comments on "Basalt columns: large scale constitutional supercooling?" by John Gilman (JVGR, 2009) and presentation of some new data. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 194, 69-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2009.09.021
- Hardee, H.C., 1980, Solidification of the Kilauea Iki lava lake. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 7, 211-223. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-0273(80)90030-X
- Hetenyi, G., Taisne, B., Garel, F., Medard, E., Bosshard, S., and Mattsson, H.B., 2012, Scales of columnar jointing in igneous rocks: Field measurements and controlling factors. Bulletin of Volcanology, 74, 457-482. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00445-011-0534-4
- Huxley, T.H., 1881, Physiography: An introduction to the study of nature. MacMillan and Co., London, UK, 204 p.
- Ito, T., Fujimoto, T., and Chiba, N., 2004, Modeling of rock form taking into account growing process of columnar joints. The Society for Art and Science, 3, 86-95. https://doi.org/10.3756/artsci.3.86
- Jiang, W.S. and Chen, J.C., 2004, The topographic landscape of volcanic necks of the Coastal Range and Lutao, eastern Taiwan. Taiwan Academy of Science, 17, 82-92.
- Kantha, L., 1981, "Basalt fingers" - origin of columnar joints? Geological Magazine, 118, 251-264. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0016756800035731
- Kattenhorn, S.A. and Schaefer, C.J., 2008, Thermalmechanical modeling of cooling history and fracture development in inflationary basalt lava flows. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 170, 181-197. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2007.10.002
- Lodge, R.W.D. and Lescinsky, D.T., 2009, Anisotropic stress accumulation in cooling lava flows and resulting fracture patterns: Insights from starch-water desiccation experiments. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 185, 323-336. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2008.09.010
- Long, P.E. and Wood, B.J., 1986, Structures, textures and cooling histories of Columbia River basalt flows. Geological Society of America Bulletin, 97, 1144-1155. https://doi.org/10.1130/0016-7606(1986)97<1144:STACHO>2.0.CO;2
- Lore, J., Gao, H., and Aydin, A., 2000, Viscoelastic thermal stress in cooling basalt flows. Journal of Geophysical Research, 105, 23695-23709. https://doi.org/10.1029/2000JB900226
- Lore, J., Aydin, A., and Goodson, K., 2001, A deterministic methodology for prediction of fracture distribution in basaltic multiflows. Journal of Geophysical Research, 106, 6447-6459. https://doi.org/10.1029/2000JB900407
- Lyle, P., 2000, The eruption environment of multi-tiered columnar basalt lava flows. Journal of the Geological Society, 157, 715-722. https://doi.org/10.1144/jgs.157.4.715
- Mallet, R., 1875, On the origin and mechansim of production of the prismatic (or columnar) structure of basalt. Philos Magazine, 50, 122-135.
- Mattsson, H.B., Caricchi, L., Almqvist, B.S.G., Caddick, M.J., Bosshard, S.A., Heteny, G., and Hirt, A.M., 2011, Melt migration in basalt columns driven by crystallization - induced pressure gradients. Nature Communication, 2, 299. https://doi.org/10.1038/ncomms1298
- Milazzo, M.P., Keszthelyi, L.P., Jaeger, W.L., Rosiek, M., Mattson, S., Verba, C., Beyer, R.A., Geissler, P.E., McEwen, A.S., and the HiRISE Team, 2009, Discovery of columnar jointing on Mars. Geology, 37, 171-174. https://doi.org/10.1130/G25187A.1
- Mizuguchi, T., Nishimoto, A., Kitsunezaki, S., Yamazaki, Y., and Aoki, I., 2005, Directional crack propagation of granular water systems. Physical Review E, 71, 56-122.
- Muller, G., 1998, Experimental simulation of basalt columns. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 86, 93-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-0273(98)00045-6
- Musgrave, F.K., Kolb, C.E., and Mace, R.S., 1989, The synthesis and rendering of eroded fractal terrains. Computer Graphics, 23, 41-50. https://doi.org/10.1145/74334.74337
- Nishimoto, A., Mizuguchi, T., and Kitsunezaki, S., 2011, Columnar structure and desiccation cracks. Journal of Gological Society of Japan, 117, 183-191. https://doi.org/10.5575/geosoc.117.183
- Nishiwaki and Hirotishi, 2009, Introduction to the landform and geology of Japan. http://www.glgarcs.net/topics/columnar/columnar_2.html
- Peck, D.L. and Minakami, T., 1968, The Formation of columnar joints in upper part of Kilauean lava lakes, Hawaii. Geological Society of America Bulletin, 79, 1151-1166. https://doi.org/10.1130/0016-7606(1968)79[1151:TFOCJI]2.0.CO;2
- Phillips, J.C., Humphreys, M.C.S., Daniels, K.A., Brown, R.J., and Witham, F., 2013, The formation of columnar joints produced by cooling in basalt at Staffa, Scotland. Bulletin of Volcanology, 75, 715-722. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00445-013-0715-4
- Ryan, M.P. and Sammis C.G., 1981, The glass transition in basalt. Journal of Geophysical Research, 86, 9519-9535. https://doi.org/10.1029/JB086iB10p09519
- Saliba, R. and Jagla, E.A., 2003, Analysis of columnar joint patterns from three-dimensional stress modeling. Journal of Geophysical Research, 108, 24-76.
- Spry, A., 1962, The origin of columnar jointing, particulary in basalt flows. Australian Journal of Earth Sciences, 8, 191-216. https://doi.org/10.1080/14400956285270061
- Toramaru, A. and Matsumoto, T., 2004, Columnar joint morphology and cooling rate: A starch-water mixture experiment. Journal of Geophysical Research, 109, 2205-2214. https://doi.org/10.1029/2003JD003735
- Velazquez, V.F., Giannini, P.C.F., Riccomini, C., Sallun, A.E.M., Hachiro, J., and Gomes, C.B., 2008, Columnar joints in the Patino Formation sandstones, Eastern Paraguay: A dynamic interaction between dyke intrusion, quartz dissolution and cooling-induced fractures. Episodes, 31, 302-308.
- Voss, R.F., 1985, Random fractal forgeries, fundamental algorithms for computer graphics. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heiderberg, German, 805-835.