- Volume 3 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Research on Discontinuous Pulse Width Modulation Algorithm for Single-phase Voltage Source Rectifier
- Yang, Xi-Jun (Key Laboratory of Power Transmission and Conversion Control(Ministry of Education), Shanghai Jiao Tong University) ;
- Qu, Hao (Key Laboratory of Power Transmission and Conversion Control(Ministry of Education), Shanghai Jiao Tong University) ;
- Tang, Hou-Jun (Key Laboratory of Power Transmission and Conversion Control(Ministry of Education), Shanghai Jiao Tong University) ;
- Yao, Chen (Key Laboratory of Power Transmission and Conversion Control(Ministry of Education), Shanghai Jiao Tong University) ;
- Zhang, Ning-Yun (Key Laboratory of Power Transmission and Conversion Control(Ministry of Education), Shanghai Jiao Tong University) ;
- Blaabjerg, Frede (Dept. of Energy Technology, Alborg Universitet)
- Received : 2014.10.19
- Accepted : 2014.11.18
- Published : 2014.12.01
Single phase voltage source converter (VSC) is an important power electronic converter (PEC), including single-phase voltage source inverter (VSI), single-phase voltage source rectifier (VSR), single-phase active power filter (APF) and single-phase grid-connection inverter (GCI). As the fundamental part of large scale PECs, single-phase VSC has a wide range of applications. In the paper, as first, on the basis of the concept of the discontinuous pulse-width modulation (DPWM) for three-phase VSC, a new DPWM of single-phase VSR is presented by means of zero-sequence component injection. Then, the transformation from stationary frame (abc) to rotating frame (dq) is designed after reconstructing the other orthogonal current by means of one order all-pass filter. Finally, the presented DPWM based single-phase VSR is established analyzed and simulated by means of MATLAB/SIMULINK. In addition, the DPWMs presented by D. Grahame Holmes and Thomas Lipo are discussed and simulated in brief. Obviously, the presented DPWM can also be used for single-phase VSI, GCI and APF. The simulation results show the validation of the above modulation algorithm, and the DPWM based single-phase VSR has reduced power loss and increased efficiency.
- Xu She, Alex Q. Huang, and Rolando Burgos. Review of Solid-State Transformer Technologies and Their Application in Power Distribution Systems. IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, 1(3): 186-198, Sept. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2013.2277917
- Jun Wang, Alex Q. Huang, Woongje Sung, Yu Liu, and B. JAYANT BAliga. Smart grid technologies: development of 15-kv SIC IGBTS and their impact on utility applications. IEEE industrial electronics magazine, pp: 16-23, June 2009.
- Yan Xiong, Yanqun Shen, Jian Jiang, Xiangning He. Study on loss calculation and loss model for IGBT. Power supply technologies and applications. 9(5): 55-60, 2006.05. (in Chinese)
- Mingyuan Zhang, Jiangqing Shen, Weichao Li, Shiguan geng, Zhengjun Tong. Calculation method of a fast power loss for IGBT modules. Marine Electric & Electronic Technology. 29(1): 33-36, 2009.01. (in Chinese)
- Qinlan Xie, Hong Chen. Loss calculating of IGBT's in PWM inverters. Journal of South-central University for Nationality (Nat. Sci. Edition). 2003.03, 22(1): 39-41. (in Chinese)
- Dae-Woong Chung, Seung-Ki Sul. Minimum-loss strategy for three-phase PWM rectifier. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 46(3): 517-526, Jun. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.767058
- J. A. Houldsworth, D. A. Grant. The use of harmonic distortion to increase output voltage of a three-phase PWM inverter. IEEE Transactions on Industry. Application. 20(5): 1124-1228, Sept./Oct. 1984.
- Vladimir Blasko. Analysis of a Hybrid PWM Based on Modified Space-Vector and Triangle-Comparison Methods. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications. 33(3): 756-764, May/Jun. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.585866
- Andrzej M. Trzynadlowski, Stanislaw Legowski. Comparison of the Effects of Continuous and Discontinuous PWM Schemes on Power Losses of Voltage-Sourced Inverters for Induction Motor Drives. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. 26(1): 182-191, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2054837
- Andrzej M. Trzynadlowski, Stanislaw Legowski. Minimum-loss vector PWM strategy for three-phase inverters. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. 9(1)1: 26-34, January 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.285490
- Marcelo Cabral Cavalcanti, Edison Roberto Cabral da Silva, Antonio Marcus Nogueira Lima, Cursino Brandao Jacobina, Raimundo Nazareno Cunha Alves. Reducing losses in threephase PWM pulsed DC-link voltage-type inverter systems. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 38(4): 1114-1122, July/August 2000.
- Keliang Zhou and Danwei Wang. Relationship between space-vector modulation and three-phase carrier-based PWM a comprehensive analysis [three-phase inverters]. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 49(1): 186-196, February 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.982262
- Shaoliang An, Shaoliang An, Yanru Zhong, Mikihiko Matsui2. Research on a new and generalized method of discontinuous PWM strategies to minimize the switching loss. IEEE PES Asia (ISGT Asia), pp.1-6, 2012.
- Andrzej M. Trzynadlowski, R. Lynn Kirlin, Stanislaw F. Legowski. Space vector PWM technique with minimum switching losses and a variable pulse rate [for VSI] IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 44(2): 173-181, April 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.564155
- Dae-Woong Chung, Seung-Ki Sul. Reduction of Switching Losses in Active Power Filters With a New Generalized Discontinuous-PWM Strategy. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 46(3): 517-526, Jun. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.767058
- Lucian Asiminoaei, Pedro Rodriguez, Frede Blaabjerg, Mariusz Malinowski. Reduction of Switching Losses in Active Power Filters With a New Generalized Discontinuous-PWM Strategy. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 55, No. 1: 467-471, January 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.896554
- A. M. Hava, R. J. Kerkman, and T. A. Lipo, A high performance generalized discontinuous PWM algorithm, IEEE Transactions Ind. Appl., 34(5): 1059-1071, Sep./Oct. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.720446
- D. Grahame Holmes, Thomas Lipo. Pulse width modulation for power converters: principle and practice[M]. John Wiley & Sons, 2003.10.3.
- Han Xiao, Yuannan Zeng, Xiongming Tang. Simulation of single-Phase PWM VSR with synchronous reference rotating frame. Telecom Power Technology. 2009.09, 26(5): 43-46. (in Chinese)
- Wensheng Song, Xiaoyun Feng, Wangyu Xie. Space vector pulse width modulation and control technique for singlephase three level rectifier in d-q coordinate system. Electric Machines and Control. 2012.04, 16(4): 56-63. (in Chinese)
- Zhang R, Cardiml M, Szczesny P. A grid simulator with control of single phase power conveners in d-q rotating frame[C]. IEEE 33rd Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC 2002), Vol. 3, pp. 1431-1436, 2002.
- Salaet J, Busquets S, B0rdomu J. A new strategy for decoupling direct and quadrature currents in a rotating frame current regulator[C]. IEEE 37th Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC 2006), pp. 18-22, June 2006.
- Salaet J I, Alepuz s, Gilaben A. Comparison between two methods of DQ transformation for single phase converters control[C]. IEEE 35th Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC 2004), Vol. 1, pp.214-220, 2004．
- Miranda U A, Aredes M, Rolim L G B. A DQ synchrounous reference frame current control for single-phase converter[C]. IEEE 36th Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC 2005), pp.1377-1831, 2005.
- Jirawut Benjanarasut, Bunlung Neammanee. The d-, q- axis control technique of single phase grid connected converter for wind turbines with MPPT and anti-islanding protection. Electrical power systems energy conversion. 2011 8th International Conference on the Electrical Engineering, Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technology (ECTI). pp. 649-652, 2011.
- S. Sakamoto, T. Izumi, T. Yokoyama, T. Haneyoshi. A new method for digital PLL control using estimated quadrature two phase frequency detection. Proc. PCC, pp. 671-676, Apr. 2002.
- M. Saitou, N. Matsui, T. Shimizu. A control strategy of single-phase active filter using a novel d-q transformation.
- A. Roshan, R. Burgos, A.C. Baisden, F. Wang. A D-Q frame controller for a full-bridge single phase inverter used in small distributed power generation systems. IEEE Twenty Second Annual Applied Power Electronics Conference. Vol.: l, pp.1-647, APEC 2007.
- A. R. Ramirei-Lopez, J. J. Lira-Perez, N. Visairo-Cruz, C.A. Nunez-Gutierrez. Input-output linearization of a single-phase active multilevel rectifier in d-q synchronous reference frame. 12th International Power Electronics Congress (2010 CIEP), pp.15-20, 2010.
- Vinod Khadkikar, Ambrish Chandra. Control of single-phase UPQC in synchronous d-q reference frame. 2012 IEEE 15th International Conference on Harmonics and Quality of Power, pp.378-383, June 2012.
- Jirawut Benjanarasut, Bunlung Neammanee. The d-, q- axis control technique of single phase grid connected converter for wind turbines with MPPT and anti-islanding protection. The 8th Electrical Engineering/ Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technology, pp.649- 652, May 2011.
- V. I Khadkikar, M. Singh, A. Chandra, B. Singh. Implementation of single-phase synchronous d-q reference frame controller for shunt active filter under distorted voltage condition. Power Electronics, Drives and Energy Systems, pp.1-6, Dec. 2010.
- S. Golestan, M. Monfared, J.M. Guerrero, M. Joorabian. A D-Q synchronous frame controller for single-phase inverters. 2011 2nd Power Electronics, Drive Systems and Technologies Conference, pp.317-323, Feb. 2011.
- B. H. Kwon, J. H. Choi, T. W. Kim. Improved single-phase line interactive UPS. IEEE Transactions Ind. Electron., 48(4): 804-811, Aug. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.937413
- B. K. Bose. Power Electronics and Variable Frequency Drives: Technology and Applications. Piscataway: IEEE Press, 1996.