- Volume 3 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
High Performance PI Current Controller for a Switched Reluctance Motor
- Ashoornejad, A. (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering of Isfahan University of Technology) ;
- Rashidi, A. (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering of Isfahan University of Technology) ;
- Saghaeian-nejad, S.M. (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering of Isfahan University of Technology) ;
- Ahn, Jin-Woo (Dept. of Mechatronics Engineering, Kyungsung University)
- Received : 2014.09.08
- Accepted : 2014.10.15
- Published : 2014.12.01
The most common current controller for the Switched Reluctance Motor (SRM) is the hysteresis controller. This method, however, suffers from such drawbacks as variable switching frequency, consequent audible noise and high current ripple. These disadvantages make this controlling method undesirable for many applications. The alternative solution is the PI controller. Since the fixed gain PI current controller can only be optimized for one operating point, and on the other hand, SR motor is highly nonlinear, PI controller gain should be adjusted according to incremental inductance. This paper presents a novel method for PI current controller gain adaptation which is simple and yields a good performance. The proposed controller has been implemented on a test bench using a eZdsp F28335 board. The performance of the current controller has been investigated in both simulation and experimental tests using a four-phase 8/6 4KW SRM drive system.
- S. E. Schulz and K. M. Rahman, "High performance digital PI current regulator for EV switched reluctance motor drives," Industry Applications Conference, 2002. Proceeding in the 37th IAS Annual Meeting, vol.3, pp. 1617-1624 vol.3, 13-18 Oct. 2002.
- Ching-Guo Chen and Tian-Hua Liu; , "Nonlinear controller design for switched reluctance drive systems," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, vol.39, no.4, pp. 1429-1440, Oct. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.2003.1261137
- Z. Lin, D. Reay, B. Williams and X. He, "High-performance current control for switched reluctance motors based on online estimated parameters," IET Electric Power Applications, vol.4, no.1, pp.67-74, January 2010 doi: 10.1049/ietepa.2009.0016. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2009.0016
- H. Hannoun, M. Hilairet and C. Marchand, "Design of an SRM Speed Control Strategy for a Wide Range of Operating Speeds," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol.57, no.9, pp. 2911-2921, Sept. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2038396
- Yuefeng Yang, and Yihuang Zhang, "Sliding mode-PI control of switched reluctance motor drives for EV," Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS 2005), vol.1, pp. 603- 607, Sept. 2005.
- H. Hannoun, M. Hilairet and C. Marchand, "Gain-scheduling PI current controller for a Switched Reluctance Motor," IEEE Proceeding in International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE 2007), pp. 1177-1182, 4-7 June 2007.
- X. Rain, M. Hilairet and O.Bethoux, "Comparative study of various current controllers for the switched reluctance machine," IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC 2010), pp. 1-6, 1-3 Sept. 2010.
- E. Daryabeigi, A. Emanian, M. M. Namazi, A. Rashidi and S. M. Saghaian Nejad, "Torque ripple reduction of switched reluctance motor (SRM) drives, with emotional controller (BELBIC)," Twenty-Seventh Annual Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC 2012), pp. 1528-1535, 5-9 Feb. 2012.
- M. M. N. Isfahani, S. M. Saghaian-Nejad, A. Rashidi and H. A. Zarchi, "Passivity-based adaptive sliding Mode speed control of switched reluctance motor drive considering torque ripple reduction," IEEE International Electric Machines. & Drives Conference (IEMDC 2011), pp.1480-1485, 15-18 May 2011.
- Karl Johan Astrm, Richard M. Murray, "Feedback Systems," An Introduction for Scientists and Engineers, PRINCETON UNIVERSITY PRESS , March 2010.
- H. K. Bae, R. Krishnan, "A study of current controllers and development of a novel current controller for high performance SRM drives," Proceeding in Thirty-First IAS Annual Meeting, pp.68-75 vol.1, 6-10 Oct 1996.
- R. Krishnan, "Switched Reluctance Motor Drive: Modeling, simulation, Analysis, Design and application," Magna Physics Publishing, 2001.
- H. Hannoun, M. Hilairet, and C. Marchand, "Analytical modeling of switched reluctance machines including saturation," IEEE International Electric Machines & Drives Conference, (IEMDC '07), vol.1, pp. 564-568, 3-5 May 2007.