- Volume 34 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Novel Convenient Method to Determine Wettability and Dispersibility of Dairy Powders
- Received : 2014.10.21
- Accepted : 2014.11.13
- Published : 2014.12.31
This study was carried out to develop a simple, convenient, and reproducible testing device to determine wettability and dispersibility of dairy powders. The testing device consists of a sieve (
wetting;dispersibility;skim milk powder;heating strength;testing device
- Davenel, A., Schuck, P., Mariette, F., and Brule, G. (2002) NMR relaxometry as a non-invasive tool to characterize milk powders. Lait 82, 465-473. https://doi.org/10.1051/lait:2002024
- Fang, Y., Selomulya, C., and Chen, X. D. (2008) On measurement of food powder reconstitution properties. Drying Technol. 26, 3-14.
- Fang, Y., Selomulya, C., Ainsworth, S., and Chen, X. D. (2011) On quantifying the dissolution behavior of milk protein concentrate. Food Hydrocoll. 25, 503-510. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2010.07.030
- Fitzpatrick, J. J., Iqbai, T., Delanry, C., Twomey, T., and Keogh, M. K. (2004) Effect of powder properties and storage conditions on the flowability of milk powders with different fat contents. J. Food Eng. 64, 435-444. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2003.11.011
- Gaiani, C., Banon, S., Scher, J., Schuck, P., and Hardy. J. (2005) Use of a turbidity sensor to characterize micellar casein powder rehydration: Influence of some technical effects. J. Dairy Sci. 88, 2700-2706. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72948-9
- Gaiani, C., Boyanova, P., Hussain, R., Pazos, M., Karam, M. C., Burgain, J., and Scher, J. (2011) Morphological descriptors and colour as a tool to better understand rehydration properties of dairy powders. Int. Dairy J. 21, 462-469. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.idairyj.2011.02.009
- Gaiani, C., Schuck, P., Scher, J., Desobry, S., and Banon. S. (2007) Dairy powder rehydration: Influence of protein state, incorporation mode, and agglomeration. J. Dairy Sci. 90, 570-581. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(07)71540-0
- Hla, P. K. and Hogekamp, S. (1999) Wetting behavior of instantized cocoa beverage powders. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 34, 335-342. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2621.1999.00275.x
- Hogekamp, S. and Schubert, H. (2003) Rehydration of food powders. Food Sci. Tech. Int. 9, 223-235. https://doi.org/10.1177/1082013203034938
- IDF (2013) Instant dried milk - Determination of the dispersibility and wettability. IDF 087. Brussels, Belgium: International Dairy Foundation.
- Kim, E. H. J., Chen, X. D., and Pearce, D. (2002) Surface characterization of four industrial spray-dried dairy powders in relation to chemical composition, structure and wetting property. Colloid Surface B 26, 197-212. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0927-7765(01)00334-4
- Kim, E. H. J., Chen, X. D., and Pearce, D. (2003). On the mechanism of surface formation and the surface compositions of industrial milk powders. Drying Technol. 21, 265-278. https://doi.org/10.1081/DRT-120017747
- Mimouni, A., Deeth, H. C., Whittaker, A. K., Gidley, M. J., and Bhandari, B. R. (2009). Rehydration process of milk protein concentrate powder monitored by static light scattering. Food Hydrocoll. 23, 1958-1965. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2009.01.010
- Niro (2005) Wettability Niro method A 5 a. In GEA Niro Analytical Methods. Soeborg, Denmark : GEA Niro.
- Niro (2006) Wettability Niro method A 5 b. In GEA Niro Analytical Methods. Soeborg, Denmark : GEA Niro.
- Development and evaluation of freeze-dried milk powder with low-lactose content vol.47, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1556/066.2018.47.3.3
Supported by : Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (MAFRA)