- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Differences on Growth, Photosynthesis and Pigment Contents of Open-pollinated Pinus densiflora Families Under Elevated Temperature and Drought
온도 증가와 건조 스트레스에 따른 소나무 풍매차대묘의 가계간 생장, 광합성 및 광색소 함량 차이
- Kim, Gil Nam (Department of Forest Genetic Resources, Korea Forest Research Institute) ;
- Han, Sim-Hee (Department of Forest Genetic Resources, Korea Forest Research Institute) ;
- Park, Gwan Soo (Department of Environment and Forest Resources, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2014.07.29
- Accepted : 2014.08.19
- Published : 2014.12.30
The impacts of high temperature and drought were studied on the seedlings of three families (superiorgangwon74, intermediate-gangwon77 and inferior-gangwon132) of P. densiflora which had been selected by the based on the growth indexes of 32-year-old. The seedlings were grown in controlled-environment growth chambers with combinations of four temperatures (
Pinus densiflora;relative growth rate;photosynthetic rate;stomatal conductance;transpiration rate;photosynthetic pigment
An, D. H., Y. T. Kim, D. J. Kim, and J. S. Lee, 2008: The effects of water stress on
$C_3$plant and CAM plant. Korean Society of Environmental Biology 26, 271-278.
- Chaves, M. M. and M. M. Oliveira, 2004: Mechanisms underlying plant resilience to water deficits: prospects of water-saving agriculture. Journal of Experimental Botany 55, 2365-2384. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erh269
- Barber, V. A., G. P. Juday, and B. P. Finney, 2000: Reduced growth of Alaskan white spruce in the twentieth century from temperature-induced drought stress. Nature 405, 668-673. https://doi.org/10.1038/35015049
- Beadle, C. L., 1993: Growth analysis. In D.O. Hall, J.M.O. Scurlock. H.R. Bolhar-Nordenkampf, R.C. Leegood and S.P. Long(eds.). Photosynthesis and production in a changing environment a filed and laboratory manual. Chapman Hall, London, pp. 36-46.
- Bengough, A. G., M. F. Bransby, J. Hans, S. J. Mckenna, T. J. Roberts, and T. A. Valentine, 2006: Root responses to soil physical conditions; growth dynamics from field to cell. Journal of Experimental Botany 57, 437-447. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erj003
- Cornic, G., 2000: Drought stress inhibits photosynthesis by decreasing stomatal aperture-not by affecting ATP synthesis. Trends in Plant Science 5, 1360-1385.
Crookshanks, M., G. Taylor, and M. Broadmeadow, 1998: Elevated
$CO_2$and tree root growth: contrasting responses in Fraxinus excelsior, Quercus petraea and Pinus sylvestris. New Phytologist 138, 241-250. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1469-8137.1998.00109.x
- Danby, R. and D. Hik, 2007: Responses of white spruce (Picea glauca) to experimental warming at a subarctic alpine treeline. Global Change Biology 13, 437-451. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2486.2006.01302.x
- Duncan, D. R. and J. M. Widholm, 1987: Proline accumulation and its implication in cold tolerance of regenerable maize callus. Plant Physiology 83, 703-708. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.83.3.703
- Gimenez, C., V. J. Mitchell, and D. W. Lawlor, 1992: Regulation of photosynthetic rate of two sunflower hybrids under water stress. Plant Physiology 98, 516-524. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.98.2.516
- Gunderson, C. A., K. H. O'hara, C. M. Campion, A. V. Walker, and N. T. Edwards, 2010: Thermal plasticity of photosynthesis: the role of acclimation in forest responses to a warming climate. Global Change Biology 16, 2272-2286.
- Han, C., Q. Liu, and Y. Y, 2009: Short-term effects of experimental warming and enhanced ultraviolet-B radiation on photosynthesis and antioxidant defense of Pices asperata seedlings. Plant Growth Regulation 58, 153-162. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10725-009-9363-2
- He, W. M. and M. Dong, 2003: Plasticity in physiology and growth of Salix matsudana in response to simulated atmospheric temperature rise in the Mu Us Sandland. Photosynthetica 41, 297-300. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:PHOT.0000011966.30235.91
- Kilpelainen, A., H. Peltola, A. Ryyppo, K. Sauvala, K. Laitinen, and S. Kellomaki, 2003: Wood properties of scots pines (Pinus sylvestris) grown at elevated temperature and carbon dioxide concentration. Tree Physiology 23, 889-897. https://doi.org/10.1093/treephys/23.13.889
- Hiscox, J. D. and G. F. Israelstam, 1979: A method for the extraction of chlorophyll from leaf tissue without maceration. Canadian Journal of Botany 57, 1322-1334.
- Iglesias, D. J., A. Calatayud, E. barreno, E. P. Millo, and M. Talon, 2006: Responses of citrus plants to ozone: leaf biochemistry, antioxidant mechanism and lipid peroxidation. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 44, 125-131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plaphy.2006.03.007
Kanemoto, K., Y. Yamashita, T. Ozawa, N. Imanishi, N. T. Nguyen, R. Suwa, P. K. Mohapatra, S. Kanai, R. E. Moghaieb, J. Ito, H. E. Shemy, and K. Fujita, 2009: Photosynthetic acclimation to elevated
$CO_2$is dependent on N partitioning and transpiration in soybean. Plant Science 177, 398-403. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plantsci.2009.06.017
Kim, H. R. and Y. H. You, 2010: Effects of elevated
$CO_2$concentration and increased temperature on leaf relatedphysiological responses of Phytolacca insularis (native species) and Phytolacca Americana (invasive species). Journal of Ecology and Field Biology 33, 195-204. https://doi.org/10.5141/JEFB.2010.33.3.195
- Koch, G. W., S. C. Sillet, G. M. Jennings, and S. D. Davis, 2004: The limits to tree height. Nature 428, 851-854. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature02417
- Korea Forest Service, 2010: Statistical Year book of Forestry.
- Kratsch, H. A. and R. R. Wise, 2000: The ultrastructure of chilling stress. Plant, Cell and Environment 23, 337-350. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-3040.2000.00560.x
- Kusaka, M., M. Ohta, and T. Fujimura, 2005: Contribution of inorganic components to osmotic adjustment and leaf folding for drought tolerance in pearl millet. Physiologia Plantarum 125, 474-489. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-3054.2005.00578.x
- Lawlor, D. W. and G. Cornic, 2002: Photosynthetic carbon assimilation and associated metabolism in relation to water deficits in higher plants. Plant, Cell and Environment 25, 275-294. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0016-8025.2001.00814.x
- Lawlor, D. W., 2002: Limitation to photosynthesis in waterstressed leaves: stomata vs. metabolism and the role of ATP. Annals of Botany 89, 871-885. https://doi.org/10.1093/aob/mcf110
Lawson, T., K. Oxborough, J. I. L. Morison, and N. R. Baker, 2003: The responses of guard and mesophyll cell photosynthesis to
$CO_2$, $O_2$, light, and water stress in a range of species are similar. Journal of Experimental Botany 54, 1743-1752. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erg186
- Lim, C. S., 2010: Selection of cultivars and organic solvents to improve fruit set of greenhouse watermelon during cold period. Journal of Bio-Environment Control 19, 147-152.
Leakey, A. D. B., E. A. Ainsworth, C. J. Bernacchi, A. Rogers, S. P. Long, and D. R. Ort, 2009: Elevated
$CO_2$effects on plant carbon, nitrogen, and water relations: six important lessons from FACE. Journal of Experimental Botany 60, 2859-2876. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erp096
- Lee, C. S., J. H. Kim, H. Yi, and Y. H. You, 2004: Seedling establishment and regeneration of Korean red pine(Pinus densiflora S. et Z.) forests in Korea in relation to soil moisture. Forest Ecology and Management 199, 423-432. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2004.05.053
- Lee, K. J., H. Y. Won, and H. T. Mun, 2012: Contribution of root respiration to soil respiration for Quercus acutissima forest. Korean Journal of Environmental Ecology 26, 780-786.
- Lee, W. Y., E. J. Park, B. H. Cheon, and S. U. Han, 2011: Relationships of growth characteristics between adult trees and their seedlings in open-pollinated Pinus densiflora families. The Korean Society of Breeding Science 43, 262-268.
- Loveys, B. R., I. Scheurwater, T. L. Pons, A. H. Fitter, and O. K. Atkin, 2002: Growth temperature influences the underlying components of relative growth rate: an investigation using inherently fast-and slow-growing plant species. Plant, Cell and Environment 25, 975-987. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-3040.2002.00879.x
- Matthias, A., K. Thomas, S. G. G. Madeleine, and D. Matthias, 2011: Provenance-specific growth responses to drought and air warming in three European oak species (Quercus robur, Q. petraea and Q. pubescens). Tree Physiology 31, 287-297. https://doi.org/10.1093/treephys/tpr004
- Oh, C. Y., 2010: Physiological responses of superior and inferior families from open-pollinated progeny tests of Pinus densiflora to drought stress. Ph. D. Dissertation. Seoul National University.
Onoda, Y., T. Hirose, and K. Hikosaka, 2009: Does leaf photosynthesis adapt to
$CO_2$-enriched environments? An experiment on plants originating from three natural $CO_2$springs. New Phytologist 182, 698-709. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8137.2009.02786.x
- Pallardy, S. G. and J. L. Rhoads, 1993: Morphological adaptations to drought in seedlings of deciduous angiosperms. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 23, 1766-1774. https://doi.org/10.1139/x93-223
- Parry, M. A. J., P. J. Andralojc, S. Khan, P. J. Lea, and A. J. Keys, 2002: Rubisco activity: effect of drought stress. Annals of Botany 89, 833-839. https://doi.org/10.1093/aob/mcf103
- Rustad, L. E., J. L. Campbell, G. M. Marion, R. J. Norby, M. J. Mitchell, A. E. Hartley, J. H. C. Cornelissen, and J. Gurevitch, 2001: A meta-analysis of the response of soil respiration, net nitrogen mineralization, and aboveground plant growth to experimental ecosystem warming. Oecologia 126, 543-562. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004420000544
- Reyes, E. and P. H. Jennings, 1994: Response of cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) and squash (Cucurbita pepo L. var. melopepo) roots to chilling stress during early stages of seedling development. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 119, 964-970.
- Richard, J. N., M. L. Tammy, S. H. R. Jennifer, and G. O. N. Elizabeth, 2000: Nitrogen resorption in senescing tree leaves in a warmer; CO2-enriched atmosphere. Plant and Soil 224, 15-29. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1004629231766
- Richards, R. A. and A. G. Condon, 1993: Challenges ahead in using carbon isotope discrimination in plant-breeding programs. Academic Press, Inc. pp. 451-462.
- Ryan, M. G. and B. E. Law, 2005: Interpreting, measuring, and modeling soil respiration. Biogeochemistry 73, 3-27. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10533-004-5167-7
- Shao, H. B., L. Y. Chu, M. A. Shao, A. J. Cheruth, and H. M. Mi, 2008: Higher plant antioxidants and redox signaling under environmental stresses. Comptes Rendus Biologies 331, 433-441. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crvi.2008.03.011
Volder, A., E. J. Edwards, J. R. Evans, B. C. Robertson, M. Schortemeyer, and R. M. Gifford, 2004: Does greater night-time, rather than constant, warming alter growth of managed pasture under ambient and elevated atmospheric
$CO_2$? New Phytologist 162, 397-411. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8137.2004.01025.x
- Wan, S., R. J. Norby, K. S. Pregitzer, J. Ledford, and E. G. O'Neill, 2004: CO2 enrichment and warming of the atmosphere enhance both productivity and mortality of maple tree fine roots. New Phytologist 29, 1469-8137.
- Way, D. A. and R. Oren, 2010: Differential responses to changes in growth temperature between trees from different functional groups and biomes: a review and synthesis of data. Tree Physiology 30, 669-688. https://doi.org/10.1093/treephys/tpq015
- Wu, Z., P. Dijkstra, G. W. Koch, J. Penuelas, and B. A. Hungate, 2011: Responses of terrestrial ecosystems to temperature and precipitation change: a meta-analysis of experimental manipulation. Global Change Biology 17, 927-942. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2486.2010.02302.x
- Xu, Z., T. Hu, and Y. Zhang, 2012: Effects of experimental warming on phenology, growth and gas exchange of treeline birch (Betula utilis) saplings, Eastern Tibetan Plateau, China. European Journal of Forest Research 13, 811-819.
- Zhao, C. and Q. Liu, 2009: Growth and photosynthetic responses of two coniferous species to experimental warming and nitrogen fertilization. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 39, 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1139/X08-152
- Yin, H. J., Q. Liu, and T. Lai, 2008: Warming effects on growth and physiology in the seedlings of the two conifers Picea asperata and Abies faxoniana under two contrasting light conditions. Ecological Research 23, 459-469. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11284-007-0404-x
- Zang, U., M. Goisser, K. H. Häberle, R. Matyssek, E. Matzner, and W. Borken, 2014: Effects of drought stress on photosynthesis, rhizosphere respiration, and fine-root characteristics of beech saplings: A rhizotron field study. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science 177, 168-177. https://doi.org/10.1002/jpln.201300196
- Zhang, J. and W. J. Davies, 1990: Changes in the concentration of ABA in xylem sap as a function of changing soil water status can account for changes in leaf conductance and growth. Plant, Cell and Environment 13, 277-285. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3040.1990.tb01312.x
- Effects of Water Stress on Carotenoid and Proline Contents in Kale (Brassica oleracea var. acephala) leaves vol.36, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2017.36.2.16