- Volume 21 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Printing Morphology and Rheological Characteristics of Lead-Free Sn-3Ag-0.5Cu (SAC) Solder Pastes
- Sharma, Ashutosh ;
- Mallik, Sabuj ;
- Ekere, Nduka N. ;
- Jung, Jae-Pil
- Received : 2014.12.08
- Accepted : 2014.12.26
- Published : 2014.12.30
Solder paste plays a crucial role as the widely used joining material in surface mount technology (SMT). The understanding of its behaviour and properties is essential to ensure the proper functioning of the electronic assemblies. The composition of the solder paste is known to be directly related to its rheological behaviour. This paper provides a brief overview of the solder paste behaviour of four different solder paste formulations, stencil printing processes, and techniques to characterize solder paste behaviour adequately. The solder pastes are based on the Sn-3.0Ag-0.5Cu alloy, are different in their particle size, metal content and flux system. The solder pastes are characterized in terms of solder particle size and shape as well as the rheological characterizations such as oscillatory sweep tests, viscosity, and creep recovery behaviour of pastes.
solder paste;flip chip packaging;rheology;stencil printing;viscosity
- W.-S. Seo, B.-W. Min, J.-H Kim, N.-K Lee and J.-B. Kim, "An Analysis of Screen Printing using Solder Paste", J. Microelectron. Packag. Soc., 17 (1), 47 (2010).
- R. P. Anjard Sr., "Solder Pastes for Microelectronics", Microelectr. J., 15(2), 53 (1984). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0026-2692(84)80034-8
- R. J. Rowland, "Surface Mount Manufacturing Technology Quality and Automation", Microelectr. J., 17(3), 22 (1986). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0026-2692(86)80174-4
- J. Mahon, N. Harris and D. Vernon, "Automated Visual Inspection of Solder Paste Deposition on Surface Mount Technology PCBs", Comput. Ind., 12, 31 (1989). https://doi.org/10.1016/0166-3615(89)90029-8
- S.-H. Kwon, J.-H. Kim, C.-W Lee and S. Yoo, "Evaluation of Solder Printing Efficiency with the Variation of Stencil Aperture Size", J. Microelectron. Packag. Soc., 18 (4), 71 (2011).
- J. Pan, G. L. Tonkay, R. H. Storer, R. M. Sallade and D. J. Leandri, "Critical Variables of Solder Paste Stencil Printing for Micro-BGA and Fine-Pitch QFP" IEEE Trans. Electron. Packag. Manuf., 27(2), 125 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1109/TEPM.2004.837965
- J. Kloeser, K. Heinricht, E. Jung, L. Lauter, A. Ostmann, R. Aschenbrenner and H. Reichl, "Low cost bumping by stencil printing: process qualification for 200 lm pitch" Micron. Reliab., 40, 497 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0026-2714(99)00237-1
- R. Durairaj, T. A. Nguty and N. N. Ekere, "Critical factors affecting paste flow during the stencil printing of solder paste", Solder. Surf. Mount. Technol., 30, 1 (2001).
- R. Durairaj, A. Seman and N. N. Ekere, "Development of Quality Control (QC) Tools for Solder Pastes used for Flip Chip Assembly based on Oscillatory Tests", Proc. Electronics Systemintegration Technology Conference, Dresden, Germany, 1, 347, IEEE (2006).
- T. A. Nguty, M. H. A. Riedlin, N. N. Ekere, "Evaluation of Process Parameters for Flip Chip Stencil Printing", Proc. Int. Electronics Manufacturing Technology Symposium, Austin TX, 206 IEEE (1998).
- E. H. Amalu, N. N. Ekere and S. Mallik, "Evaluation of rheological properties of lead-free solder pastes and their relationship with transfer efficiency during stencil printing process", Mater. Des., 32, 3189 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2011.02.045
- R. Durairaj, S. Ramesh, S. Mallik, A. Seman and N. N. Ekere, "Rheological characterisation and printing performance of Sn/Ag/Cu solder pastes", Mater. Des., 30 3812 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2009.01.028
- R. Durairaj, S. Mallik, A. Seman, A. Marks and N. N. Ekere, "Rheological characterisation of solder pastes and isotropic conductive adhesives used for flip-chip assembly", J. Mater. Proc. Technol., 209, 3923 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2008.09.013
- J. W. Evans and J. K. Beddow, "Characterisation of particle morphology and rheological behaviour in solder pastes", IEEE Trans. Compon. Hybrids Manuf. Technol., 10, 224 (1987). https://doi.org/10.1109/TCHMT.1987.1134725
- G. J. Jackson, M. W. Hendriksen, R. W. Kay, M. Desmulliez, R. K. Durairaj and N. N. Ekere, "Sub process challenges in ultra fine pitch stencil printing of type-6 and type-7 Pb-free solder pastes for flip chip assembly applications", J. Solder. Surf. Mount Technol., 17, 24 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1108/09540910510579212
- X. Bao, N. C. Lee, R. B. Raj, K. P. Rangen and A. Maria, "Engineering solder paste performance through controlled stress rheology analysis", J. Solder. Surf. Mount Technol., 10 (2) 26 (1998).
- Effects of AlN Nanoparticles on the Microstructure, Solderability, and Mechanical Properties of Sn-Ag-Cu Solder vol.48, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11661-017-4178-7
- Influence of dual ceramic nanomaterials on the solderability and interfacial reactions between lead-free Sn-Ag-Cu and a Cu conductor 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2018.02.017
- Rheological characterization and jet printing performance of Sn–58Bi solder pastes 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10854-017-8408-y
- Influence of La2O3 nanoparticle additions on microstructure, wetting, and tensile characteristics of Sn–Ag–Cu alloy vol.87, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2015.07.137
- Thermal cycling, shear and insulating characteristics of epoxy embedded Sn-3.0Ag-0.5Cu (SAC305) solder paste for automotive applications vol.704, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2017.02.036