- Volume 21 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Power Module Packaging Technology with Extended Reliability for Electric Vehicle Applications
전기자동차용 고신뢰성 파워모듈 패키징 기술
- Received : 2014.12.10
- Accepted : 2014.12.15
- Published : 2014.12.30
The paper gives an overview of the concepts, basic requirements, and trends regarding packaging technologies of power modules in hybrid (HEV) and electric vehicles (EV). Power electronics is gaining more and more importance in the automotive sector due to the slow but steady progress of introducing partially or even fully electric powered vehicles. The demands for power electronic devices and systems are manifold, and concerns besides aspects such as energy efficiency, cooling and costs especially robustness and lifetime issues. Higher operation temperatures and the current density increase of new IGBT (Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor) generations make it more and more complicated to meet the quality requirements for power electronic modules. Especially the increasing heat dissipation inside the silicon (Si) leads to maximum operation temperatures of nearly
Power electronics;Power device;Power module packaging;Electric vehicle;Reliability
- Y. Liu, "Challenges of power electronic packaging", in Power Electronic Packaging: Design, Assembly Process, Reliability and Modeling, pp.1-8, Springer Science+Business Media, New York (2012).
- N. Y. N. Shammas, "Present problems of power module packaging technology", Microelectron. Reliab., 43, 519 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0026-2714(03)00019-2
- R. John, O. Vermesan and R. Bayerer, "High temperature power electronics IGBT modules for electrical and hybrid vehicles", Proc. International Conference on High Temperature Electronics (HiTEC), Oxford, 199, International Microelectronics Assembly and Packaging Society (iMAPS) (2009).
- Y. H. Byun, C. M. Jeong, J. W. Yoon, C. H. Kim, C. S. Kim, B. W. Lee, S. W. Booh and U. I. Chung, "A novel and simple fabrication technology for high power module with enhanced thermal performance", Proc. 8th IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC 2012), Seoul, 1070 (2012).
- Z. Liang, "Status and trend of automotive power packaging", Proc. 24th International Symposium on Power Semiconductor Devices and ICs (ISPSD), Bruges, 325, IEEE Power Electronics Society (PELS) (2012).
- B. W. Kim and J. Hur, "Technology trend of green car power module", Communications of the Korea Information Science Society, 28(7), 21 (2010).
- K. S. Kim, D. H. Choi and S. B. Jung, "Overview on thermal management technology for high power device packaging", J. Microelectron. Packag. Soc., 21(2), 13 (2014). https://doi.org/10.6117/kmeps.2014.21.2.013
- I. W. Suh, H. S. Jung, Y. H. Lee, Y. H. Kim and S. H. Choa, "Heat dissipation technology of IGBT module package", J. Microelectron. Packag. Soc., 21(3), 7 (2014). https://doi.org/10.6117/kmeps.2014.21.3.007
- H. Lu, C. Bailey and C. Yin, "Design for reliability of power electronics modules", Microelectron. Reliab., 49(9-11), 1250 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microrel.2009.07.055
- V. A. Samuel, "On the perspectives of wide-band gap power devices in electronic-based power conversion for renewable systems", Doctor degree thesis, University of Kassel, (2013).
- X. Cao, T. Wang, G. Q. Lu and K. D. T. Ngo, "Characterization of lead-free solder and sintered nano-silver die-attach layers using thermal impedance", Proc. International Power Electronics Conference (IPEC), Sapporo, 546 (2010).
- L. Jiang, "Thermo-mechanical reliability of sintered-silver joint versus lead-free solder for attaching large-area devices", Master degree thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, (2010).
- S. W. Yoon, M. D. Glover and K. Shiozaki, "Nickel-Tin transient liquid phase bonding toward high-temperature operational power electronics in electrified vehicles", IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 28(5), 2448 (2012).
- C. Gbl and J. Faltenbacher, "Low temperature sinter technology Die attachment for power electronic applications", Proc. 6th International Conference on Integrated Power Electronics Systems (CIPS), Nuremberg, 1 (2010).
- K. Guth, D. Siepe, J. Grlich, H. Torwesten, R. Roth, F. Hille and F. Umbach, "New assembly and interconnects beyond sintering methods", Proc. 2010 International Exhibition and Conference for Power Electronics, Intelligent Motion and Power Quality (PCIM), Nuremberg, 1 (2010).
- K. Guth, N. Oeschler, L. Boewer, R. Speckels, G. Strotmann, N. Heuck,, S. Krasel and A. Ciliox, "New assembly and interconnect technologies for power modules", Proc. 2012 7th International Conference on Integrated Power Electronics Systems (CIPS), Nuremberg, 1 (2012).
- S. W. Yoon, K. Shiozaki and T. Kato, "Double-sided nickel-tin transient liquid phase bonding for double-sided cooling", Proc. 2014 Twenty-Ninth Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), Fort Worth, TX, 527 (2014).
- P. Ning, "Design and development of high density high temperature power module with cooling system", Doctor degree thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, (2010).
- M. Marz, A. Schletz, B. Eckardt, S. Egelkraut and H. Rauh, "Power electronics system integration for electric and hybrid vehicles", Proc. 6th International Conference on Integrated Power Electronics Systems (CIPS), Nuremberg, 1 (2010).
- Patent Application: US 2009-0219694-A1
- C. M. Johnson, C. Buttay, S. J. Rashid, F. Udrea, G. A. J. Amaratunga, P. Ireland and R. K. Malhan, "Compact double-side liquid-impingement-cooled integrated power electronic module", Proc. 19th International Symposium on Power Semiconductor Devices and IC's, 2007. (ISPSD), Jeju Island, 53 (2007).
- J. M. Morelle, "Innovative connectivity for power dice in mechatronic packaging of automotive power electronics", Proc. International Conference on Automotive Power Electronics (APE), Paris, (2007).
- T. Martens, "Double-sided IPEM cooling using miniature heat pipes", IEEE Transactions on Components and Packaging Technologies, 28(4), 852 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1109/TCAPT.2005.848591
- M. Schneider-Ramelow, T. Baumann and E. Hoene, "Design and assembly of power semiconductors with double-sided water cooling", Proc. 5th International Conference on Integrated Power Systems (CIPS), Nuremberg, 83 (2008).
- Information Network, "Next-generation power semiconductors: markets materials, technologies", Market research reports, (2014).
- Information Network, "Silicon vs. WBG: Demystifying prospects of GaN and SiC in the electrified vehicle market", Market Research Reports, (2014).
- J. Millan, "A review of WBG power semiconductor devices", Proc. 2012 International Semiconductor Conference (CAS), Sinaia, 57, (2012).
- J. A. Jr. Cooper and A. Agarwal, "SiC power-switching devices-the second electronics revolution?", Proceedings of the IEEE, 90(6), 956 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2002.1021561
- J. B. Casady, A. K. Agarwal, S. Seshadri, R. R. Siergiej, L. B. Rowland, M. F. MacMillan, D. C. Sheridan, P. A. Sanger and C. D. Brandt, "4H-SiC power devices for use in power electronic motor control", Solid-State Electronics, 42(12), 2165 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0038-1101(98)00212-3
- F. Xu, T. J. Han, D. Jiang, L. M. Tolbert, F. Wang, J. Nagashima, S. J. Kim, S. Kulkarni and F. Barlow, "Development of a SiC JFET-based six-pack power module for a fully integrated inverter", IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 28(3), 1464 (2012).
- M. Ostling, R. Ghandi and C. M. Zetterling, "SiC power devices - Present status, applications and future perspective", Proc. 2011 IEEE 23rd International Symposium on Power Semiconductor Devices and ICs (ISPSD), San Diego, 10, (2011).
- L. Coppola, D. Huff, F. Wang, R. Burgos, and D. Boroyevich, "Survey on high-temperature packaging materials for SiC-based power electronics modules", Proc. 2007 Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC 2007), IEEE, Orlando, 2234, (2007).
- R. Singh, "Reliability and performance limitations in SiC power devices", Microelectronics Reliability, 46, 713 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microrel.2005.10.013
- P. Ning, R. Lai, D. Huff, F. Wang, K. D. T. Ngo, V. D. Immanuel and K. J. Karimi, "SiC wirebond multichip phase-leg module packaging design and testing for harsh environment", IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 25(1), 16 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2027324
- A. Otto, E. Kaulfersch, K. Brinkfeldt, K. Neumaier, O. Zschieschang, D. Andersson and S. Rzepka, "Reliability of new SiC BJT power modules for fully electric vehicles", Proc. 18th International Forum on Advanced Microsystems for Automotive Application (AMAA), Berlin, 1, (2014).
- N. Ikeda, Y. Niiyama, H. Kambayashi, Y. Sato, T. Nomura, S. Kato and S. Yoshida, "GaN power transistors on Si substrates for switching applications", Proc. IEEE, 98(7), 1151 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2009.2034397
- M. Acanski, J. Popovic-Gerber and J. A. Ferreira, "Comparison of Si and GaN power devices used in PV module integrated converters", Proc. 2011 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), Phoenix, AZ, 1217, (2011).
- M. S. Shur, "GaN based transistors for high power applications", Solid-State Electronics, 42(12), 2131 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0038-1101(98)00208-1
- P. Saunier, C. Lee, A. Balistreri, D. Dumka, J. Jimenez, H. Q. Tserng, M. Y. Kao, P. C. Chao, K. Chu, A. Souzis, I. Eliashevich, S. Guo, J. del Alamo, J. Joh and M. Shur, "Progress in GaN performances and reliability", Proc. 2007 65th Annual Device Research Conference, Notre Dame, IN, 1548, (2007).
- T. Kachi, D. Kikuta and T. Uesugi, "GaN power device and reliability for automotive applications", Proc. 2012 IEEE International Reliability Physics Symposium (IRPS), Anaheim, CA, 3D.1.1 (2012).