- Volume 44 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Development and Effects of Emotional Intelligence Program for Undergraduate Nursing Students: Mixed Methods Research
간호대학생을 위한 감성지능 향상 프로그램 개발 및 효과검증: 혼합연구 설계 적용
- Lee, Oi Sun (Department of Nursing, Changshin University) ;
- Gu, Mee Ock (College of Nursing.Gerontological Health Research Center, Institute of Health Sciences, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2014.07.22
- Accepted : 2014.10.30
- Published : 2014.12.31
Purpose: This study was conducted to develop and test the effects of an emotional intelligence program for undergraduate nursing students. Methods: The study design was a mixed method research. Participants were 36 nursing students (intervention group: 17, control group: 19). The emotional intelligence program was provided for 4 weeks (8 sessions, 20 hours). Data were collected between August 6 and October 4, 2013. Quantitative data were analyzed using Chi-square, Fisher's exact test, t-test, repeated measure ANOVA, and paired t-test with SPSS/WIN 18.0. Qualitative data were analyzed using content analysis. Results: Quantitative results showed that emotional intelligence, communication skills, resilience, stress coping strategy, and clinical competence were significantly better in the experimental group compared to the control group. According to the qualitative results, the nursing students experienced improvement in emotional intelligence, interpersonal relationships, and empowerment, as well as a reduction in clinical practice stress after participation in the emotional intelligence program. Conclusion: Study findings indicate that the emotional intelligence program for undergraduate nursing students is effective and can be recommended as an intervention for improving the clinical competence of undergraduate students in a nursing curriculum.
- Beauvais AM, Brady N, O'Shea ER, Griffin MT. Emotional intelligence and nursing performance among nursing students. Nurse Education Today. 2011;31(4):396-401. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2010.07.013 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2010.07.013
- Lofmark A, Smide B, Wikblad K. Competence of newly-graduated nurses-a comparison of the perceptions of qualified nurses and students. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2006;53(6):721-728. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2006.03778.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2006.03778.x
- Por J, Barriball L, Fitzpatrick J, Roberts J. Emotional intelligence: Its relationship to stress, coping, well-being and professional performance in nursing students. Nurse Education Today. 2011;31(8):855-860. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2010.12.023 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2010.12.023
- Lee OS, Gu MO. The relationship between emotional intelligence and communication skill, clinical competence & clinical practice stress in nursing students. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society. 2013;14(6):2749-2759. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2749 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2749
- Kim JS. The influence of ego-resilience and stress of clinical practice on clinical competence in nursing students. Korean Journal of Health Communication. 2012;7(2):94-102.
- Yoo MS, Kim YS, Hwang MS, Ahn JA. Analysis of self-esteem, interpersonal communication competence, and problem-solving capacity in undergraduate nursing students. Korean Journal of Health Communication. 2012;7(1):18-27.
- Lee EJ, Yi YJ, Kim YS, Jo HS, Kim HS, Kim YM, et al. Comparison of factors affecting clinical competence between associate and bachelor nursing students completed nursing courses. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2011;17(2):218-225. http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.2.218 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.2.218
- Shin EJ, Park YS. Emotional intelligence, ego resilience, stress in clinical practice of nursing students. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society. 2013;14(11):5636-5645. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.11.5636 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.11.5636
- Wong CS, Law KS. The effects of leader and follower emotional intelligence on performance and attitude: An exploratory study. The Leadership Quarterly. 2002;13(3):243-274. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(02)00099-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(02)00099-1
- Park HJ. The effect of emotional leadership program on emotional leadership, organizational commitment and job satisfaction of head nurses [dissertation]. Jinju: Gyeongsang National University; 2010.
- Han SY, Lee YM. The effect of emotional intelligence on organization communication satisfaction and job satisfaction. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society. 2011;12(12):5493-5499. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.12.5493 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.12.5493
- Tak J. Differences in both emotional intelligence and the relations of emotional intelligence to job stress and stress coping based on sex and job position. The Korean Journal of Health Psychology. 2007;12(2):307-324.
- Tugade MM, Fredrickson BL. Resilient individuals use positive emotions to bounce back from negative emotional experiences. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 2004;86(2):320-333. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1680 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1240
- Faul F, Erdfelder E, Buchner A, Lang AG. Statistical power analyses using G*Power 3.1: Tests for correlation and regression analyses. Behavior Research Methods. 2009;41(4):1149-1160. http://dx.doi.org/10.3758/brm.41.4.1149 https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- Baek M. Effects of coaching program on nurses's emotional intelligence, coaching skills, self-efficacy and job satisfaction [dissertation]. Gwangju: Chonnam National University; 2010.
- Hwang PJ, Lee IS, Jeon MK. The influence of employees' emotional intelligence on job satisfaction and organizational citizenship behavior. Productivity Review. 2011;25(3):311-330. https://doi.org/10.15843/kpapr.25.3.201109.311
- Rubin RB. Communication competence. In: Phillips GM, Wood JT, editors. Speech communication: Essays to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the Speech Communication Association. Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University Press; 1990. p. 94-129.
- Hur GH. Construction and validation of a global interpersonal communication competence scale. Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies. 2003;47(6):380-408.
- Reivich K, Shatte A. The resilience factor: 7 keys to finding your inner strength and overcoming life's hurdles. New York, NY: Broadway Books; 2002.
- Shin WY, Kim MG, Kim JH. Developing measures of resilience for Korean adolescents and testing cross, convergent, and discriminant validity. Studies on Korean Youth. 2009;20(4):105-131.
- Amirkhan JH. A factor analytically derived measure of coping: The coping strategy indicator. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1990;59(5):1066-1074. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1996
- Shin HJ, Kim CD. A validation study of coping strategy indicator (CSI). The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy. 2002;14(4):919-935.
- Schwirian PM. Evaluating the performance of nurses: A multidimensional approach. Nursing Research. 1978;27(6):347-351.
- Lee WH, Kim CJ, Yoo JS, Hur HK, Kim KS, Lim SM. Development of clinical competency measurement tool for student. Journal Nursing Science. 1990;13:17-29.
- Choi MS. A study on the relationship between teaching effectiveness of clinical nursing education and clinical competency in nursing students [master's thesis]. Seoul: Ewha Womans University; 2005.
- Mayer JD, Salovey P, Caruso DR. Emotional intelligence as Zeitgeist, as personality, and as a mental ability. In: Bar-On R, Parker JDA, editors. The handbook of emotional intelligence: The theory and practice of development, evaluation, education, and application-at home, school, and in the workplace. New York, NY: Jossey-Bass; 2000. p. 92-117.
- Boyatzis R, McKee A, Goleman D. Reawakening your passion for work. Harvard Business Review. 2002;80(4):86-94.
- Hahm KJ. Some people regulate emotions or some people do not regulate emotions. Seoul: Chungrim; 2010.
- Choi YJ, Lee GW, Jung CH, Lee AR. The effects of self-disclosure and rational-emotive training on communication ability, stress coping behavior, and self-efficacy of nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2009;18(2):186-196.
- Lee KH, Song JS. The effect of emotional intelligence on self-efficacy and job stress of nurses: Mediating role of self-efficacy. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2010;16(1):17-25. http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.1.17 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.1.17