- Volume 27 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Annual Loss Probability Estimation of Steel Moment-Resisting Frames(SMRFs) using Seismic Fragility Analysis
지진취약도를 통한 철골모멘트골조의 연간 손실 평가
- Jun, Saemee (Department of Architectural Engineering, University of Seoul) ;
- Shin, Dong-Hyeon (Department of Architectural Engineering, University of Seoul) ;
- Kim, Hyung-Joon (Department of Architectural Engineering, University of Seoul)
- Received : 2014.11.17
- Accepted : 2014.12.02
- Published : 2014.12.31
The ultimate goal of seismic design is to reduce the probable losses or damages occurred during an expected earthquake event. To achieve this goal, this study represents a procedure that can estimate annual loss probability of a structure damaged by strong ground motion. First of all, probabilistic seismic performance assessment should be performed using seismic fragility analyses that are presented by a cumulative distribution function of the probability in each exceedance structural damage state. A seismic hazard curve is then derived from an annual frequency of exccedance per each ground motion intensity. An annual loss probability function is combined with seismic fragility analysis results and seismic hazard curves. In this paper, annual loss probabilities are estimated by the structural fragility curve of steel moment-resisting frames(SMRFs) in San Francisco Bay, USA, and are compared with loss estimation results obtained from the HAZUS methodology. It is investigated from the comparison that seismic losses of the SMRFs calculated from the HAZUS method are conservatively estimated. The procedure presented in this study could be effectively used for future studies related with structural seismic performance assessment and annual loss probability estimation.
seismic fragility analysis;seismic performance assessment;seismic hazard curve;annaul loss probability estimation
Grant : 지진재해로 인한 사회.경제적 피해예측 모델 개발
Supported by : 소방방재청
- AIK (2009) Korean Building Code for Structures, KBC 2009, Architectural Institute of Korea, Seoul, p.769.
- ATC (1985) Earthquake Damage Evaluation Data for California, ATC-13, Applied Technology Council, California, p.492.
- ATC (1996) Seismic Evaluation and Retrofit of Concrete Buildings Vol. 1, ATC-40, Applied Technology Council, California, p.346.
- ASCE (2010) Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures, ASCE/SEI 7-10, American Society of Civil Engineers, Virginia, p.658.
- Beak, D.G., Kwon, K.H., Kim, J.K. (2012) Fragility Analysis of Staggered Wall Structures, J. Comput. Struct. Eng. Inst. Korea, 25(5), pp.397-404. https://doi.org/10.7734/COSEIK.2012.25.5.397
- Carr, A.J. (2009) Ruaumoko Manual. User Manual for the 2-Dimensional Version : Ruaumoko 2D Vol. 2, University of Canterbury, New Zealand, p.98.
- Chopra, A.K. (2012) Dynamics of Structures: Theory and Applications to Earthquake Engineering, 4th Edition, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, p.992.
- Cornell, C.A., Krawinkler, H. (2000) Progress and Challenges in Seismic Performance Assessment, 3(2), PEER Center News, http://peer.berkeley.edu/news/2000spring/index.html.(accessed Nov., 14, 2014)
- FEMA (2000) Prestandard and Commentary for the Seismic Rehabilitation of Buildings, FEMA 356, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington, D.C., p.518.
- FEMA (2003) HAZUS-MH MR4 Technical Manual, Multi-hazard Loss Estimation Methodology Earthquake Model, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington, D.C., p.712.
- FEMA (2009) Quantification of Building Seismic Performance Factors, FEMA P695, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington, D.C., p.421.
- FEMA (2012) Seismic Performance Assessment of Buildings Vol. 1, FEMA P-58-1, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington, D.C., p.319.
- Kircher, C.A., Whitman, P.V. (1997) Estimation of Earthquake Losses to Buildings, Earthquake Spectra, 13(4), pp.703-720. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585976
- Ko, H., Park, Y.K., Lee, D.G. (2009) Fragility Analysis of RC Moment Resisting Frame with Masonry Infill Walls, J. Comput. Struct. Eng. Inst. Korea, 22(4), pp.355-362.
- NEMA (2009) Development of the Seismic Fragility Function for Buildings in Korea, National Emergency Management Agency in Korea, Seoul, p.418.
- Ramirez, O.M., Constantinou, M.C., Kircher, C.A., Whittaker, A.S., Johnson, M.W., Gomez, J.D., Chrysostomou, C.Z. (2000) Development and Evaluation of Simplified Procedures for Analysis and Design of Buildings with Passive Energy Dissipation Systems, MCEER 00-0010, Revision 1, Multidisciplinary Center for Earthquake Engineering Research, University at Buffalo, State University of New York, Buffalo.
- Uncertainties Influencing the Collapse Capacity of Steel Moment-Resisting Frames vol.28, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7734/COSEIK.2015.28.4.351