- Volume 43 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Antioxidant and DNA Damage Protective Activities of Freeze-Dried Blue Mussel (Mytilus edulis)
동결건조 진주담치 추출물의 항산화 및 DNA 손상 보호 활성
- Lee, Seon Woo (Department of Food and Nutrition, Kyungnam University) ;
- Choi, Mi-Joo (Department of Food and Nutrition, Kyungnam University) ;
- Kim, Si-Kyung (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kyungnam University) ;
- Lee, Seung-Cheol (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kyungnam University) ;
- Park, Eunju (Department of Food and Nutrition, Kyungnam University)
- 이선우 (경남대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 최미주 (경남대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 김시경 (경남대학교 식품생명학과) ;
- 이승철 (경남대학교 식품생명학과) ;
- 박은주 (경남대학교 식품영양학과)
- Received : 2014.09.12
- Accepted : 2014.11.23
- Published : 2014.12.31
Blue mussels (Mytilus edulis) are widely distributed among the world's oceans in various habitats. The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of freeze-drying on the antioxidant and antigenotoxic activities of blue mussels collected in the Gyeongnam coast area of Korea. Raw (RM) and freeze-dried blue mussel flesh (FRM) were extracted with ethanol, methanol, and water. Antioxidant activities were evaluated on the basis of DPPH radical scavenging activity, oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC), cellular antioxidant capacity (CAC), and antigenotoxic activity (comet assay). Except for the water extract, RM and FRM showed DPPH radical scavenging activities, which increased upon freeze-drying in MeOH extract. The highest ORAC value was observed in water extract of RM and MeOH extract of FRM. CAC was protected against AAPH-induced oxidative stress in HepG2 cells by both RM and FRM extracts. Freeze-drying lowered ORAC value of water extract, whereas it increased CAC activity, suggesting that antioxidant activities varied according to the generated radicals. All extracts from RM and FRM showed antigenotoxic activities by reducing
- Choi MJ, Kim MJ, Park EJ. 2012. Changes in the antioxidant activities and antigenotoxic effect of ethanol extracts of nine spring greens during short-term frozen storage after blanching. J Cancer Prev 17: 141-150.
- Ji LL. 1993. Antioxidant enzyme response to exercise and aging. Med Sci Sports Exerc 25: 225-231.
- Bokov A, Chaudhuri A, Richardson A. 2004. The role of oxidative damage and stress in aging. Mech Ageing Dev 125: 811-826. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mad.2004.07.009
- Halliwell B. 1995. Antioxidant characterization: methodology and mechanism. Biochemical Pharmacology 49: 1341-1348. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2952(95)00088-H
- Kim MJ, Park E. 2012. Antioxidant and antigenotoxic effect of Schizandra chinensis B. extracted with water at various temperatures. J Cancer Prev 17: 128-140.
- Lee SH, Shin JH, Koo MO, Jung ES, Jeon GI, Park EJ, Park HR, Lee SC. 2007. Antioxidant and antigenotoxic activities of extracts from anglerfish. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 36: 1229-1234. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.10.1229
- Ngo DH, Wijesekara I, Vo TS, Van Ta Q, Kim SK. 2011. Marine food-derived functional ingredients as potential antioxidants in the food industry: An overview. Food Res Int 44: 523-529. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2010.12.030
- Jung ES, Park EJ, Park HR, Lee SC. 2008. Antioxidant activities of extracts from parts of Styela clava. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 1674-1678. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.12.1674
- Lee JH, Kim GH. 2013. Evaluation of antioxidant activity of marine algae-extracts from Korea. J Aquat Food Prod T doi: 10.1080/10498850.2013.770809. https://doi.org/10.1080/10498850.2013.770809
- Park JH, Seo BY, Lee SC, Park EJ. 2010. Effects of ethanol extracts from stalked sea squirt (Styela clava) on antioxidant potential, oxidative DNA damage and DNA repair. Food Sci Biotechnol 19: 1035-1040. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-010-0145-4
- Mamelona J, Pelletier E, Girard-Lalancette K, Legault J. 2007. Quantification of phenolic contents and antioxidant capacity of Atlantic sea cucumber, Cucumaria frondosa. Food Chem 104: 1040-1047. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.01.016
- Park SH. 2006. The interesting story of oceanic organism. Chusubat, Seoul, Korea. p 164-167.
- Choi WH. 1970. Studies on the variation in chemical constituents of the sea mussel, Mytilus edulis. Bull Korean Fish Soc 3: 38-44.
- Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries. 2013. Oceans and fisheries statistics annual report. Seoul, Korea. p 137.
- Cobb CS, Ernst E. 2006. Systematic review of a marine nutriceutical supplement in clinical trials for arthritis: the effectiveness of the New Zealand green-lipped mussel Perna canaliculus. Clin Rheumatol 25: 275-284. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10067-005-0001-8
- Kurihara H, Fukami H, Asami S, Totoda Y, Nakai M, Shibata H. 2004. Effects of oolong tea on plasma antioxidative capacity in mice loaded with restraint stress assessed using the oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC) assay. Biol Pharm Bull 27: 1093-1098. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.27.1093
- Coulson S, Vecchio P, Gramotnev H, Vitetta L. 2012. Greenlipped mussel (Perna canaliculatus) extract efficacy in knee osteoarthritis and improvement in gastrointestinal dysfunction: a pilot study. Inflammopharmacology 20: 71-76. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10787-012-0128-6
- Park JH, Kim SY, Kang MG, Yoon MS, Lee YI, Park EJ. 2012. Antioxidant activity and safety evaluation of juice containing Protaetia brevitarsis. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 41-48. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.1.041
- Lee EH, Ha JH, Cha YJ, Oh KS, Kwon CS. 1984. Preparation of powdered dried sea mussel and anchovy for instant soup. Bull Korean Fish Soc 17: 299-305.
- Ou B, Hampsch-Woodill M, Prior RL. 2001. Development and validation of an improved oxygen radical absorbance capacity assay using fluorescein as the fluorescent probe. J Agric Food Chem 49: 4619-4626. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf010586o
- Lautraite S, Bigot-Lasserre D, Bars R, Carmichael N. 2003. Optimisation of cell-based assays for medium throughput screening of oxidative stress. Toxicol In Vitro 7: 207-220.
- Singh NP, McCoy MT, Tice RR, Schneider EL. 1988. A simple technique for quantitation of low levels of DNA damage in individual cells. Exp Cell Res 175: 184-191. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-4827(88)90265-0
- Wang B, Li L, Chi CF, Ma JH, Luo HY, Xu YF. 2013. Purification and characterisation of a novel antioxidant peptide derived from blue mussel (Mytilus edulis) protein hydrolysate. Food Chem 138: 1713-1719. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2012.12.002
- Lee HJ, Kim MJ, Park JH, Park E. 2012. Antioxidative and antigenotoxic activity of white and yellow Chrysanthemum morifolium Ramat extracts. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 289-294. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.3.289
- Partali V, Tangen K, Liaaen-Jensen S. 1989. Carotenoids in food chain studies - III. Resorption and metabolic transformation of carotenoids in Mytilus edulis (edible mussel). Comp Biochem Physiol B: Biochem Mol Biol 92: 239-246. https://doi.org/10.1016/0305-0491(89)90272-1
- Lee HR, Hwang IW, Ha HT, Chung SK. 2013. The antioxidant capacities of imported red wines (Cabernet Sauvignon) from US and Chile. Korean J Food Preserv 20: 608-613. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2013.20.5.608
- Seo BY, Park JH, Park HR, Lee SC, Park EJ. 2008. Antioxidant and antigenotoxic effect of various solvent extracts from tunic, substrate and whole part of Styela clava. Kyungnam Food and Biotechnology 7: 57-63.
- Kang DS, Ha BS. 1991. Carotenoid pigments of bivalves 1. Comparison of carotenoid pigments from muscle of mussel and blue mussel. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 20: 369-375.
- Campbell SA. 1970. The carotenoid pigments of Mytilus edulis and Mytilus californianus. Comp Biochem Physiol 32: 97-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-406X(70)90159-3
- Orak HH, Aktas T, Yagar H, Isbilir SS, Ekinci N, Sahin FH. 2012. Effects of hot air and freeze drying methods on antioxidant activity, colour and some nutritional characteristics of strawberry tree (Arbutus unedo L) fruit. Food Sci Technol Int 18: 391-402. https://doi.org/10.1177/1082013211428213
- Das A, Raychaudhuri U, Chakraborty R. 2012. Effect of freeze drying and oven drying on antioxidant properties of fresh wheatgrass. Int J Food Sci Nutr 63: 718-721. https://doi.org/10.3109/09637486.2011.644769
- Kumar SS, Manoj P, Shetty NP, Giridhar P. 2014. Effect of different drying methods on chlorophyll, ascorbic acid and antioxidant compounds retention of leaves of Hibiscus sabdariffa L. J Sci Food Agric doi: 10.1002/jsfa.6879. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.6879
- Antioxidant, ACE inhibitory, and acetylcholinesterase inhibitory activities of subcritical water extract of blue mussel vol.27, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-018-0319-z