- Volume 7 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
On the response of base-isolated buildings using bilinear models for LRBs subjected to pulse-like ground motions: sharp vs. smooth behaviour
- Mavronicola, Eftychia ;
- Komodromos, Petros
- Received : 2014.03.12
- Accepted : 2014.10.14
- Published : 2014.12.25
Seismic isolation has been established as an effective earthquake-resistant design method and the lead rubber bearings (LRBs) are among the most commonly used seismic isolation systems. In the scientific literature, a sharp bilinear model is often used for capturing the hysteretic behaviour of the LRBs in the analysis of seismically isolated structures, although the actual behaviour of the LRBs can be more accurately represented utilizing smoothed plasticity, as captured by the Bouc-Wen model. Discrepancies between these two models are quantified in terms of the computed peak relative displacements at the isolation level, as well as the peak inter-storey deflections and the absolute top-floor accelerations, for the case of base-isolated buildings modelled as multi degree-of-freedom systems. Numerical simulations under pulse-like ground motions have been performed to assess the effect of non-linear parameters of the seismic isolation system and characteristics of both the superstructure and the earthquake excitation, on the accuracy of the computed peak structural responses. Through parametric analyses, this paper assesses potential inaccuracies of the computed peak seismic response when the sharp bilinear model is employed for modelling the LRBs instead of the more accurate and smoother Bouc-Wen model.
seismic isolation;base-isolation;lead rubber bearings;bilinear model;Bouc-Wen model
- AASHTO American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (1991), Guide Specifications for Seismic Isolation Design, Washington D.C.
- Abe, M., Yoshida, J. and Fujino, Y. (2004), "Multiaxial behaviors of laminated rubber bearings and their modeling. II: Modeling", Struct. Eng., 130, 1133-1144. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:8(1133)
- Baker, J.W. (2007), "Quantitative classification of near-fault ground motions using wavelet analysis", Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., 97(5), 1486-1501. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120060255
- Bouc, R. (1967), "Forced vibration of mechanical systems with hysteresis", Proceedings of the Fourth Conference on Nonlinear Oscillation, Prague, Czechoslovakia.
- Bessason, B. (1992), "Assessment of Earthquake Loading and Response of Seismically Isolated Bridges", Ph.D. dissertation, Norwegian Institute of Technology.
- Chopra, A.K. and Chintanapakdee, C. (2001), "Comparing response of SDF systems to near-fault and farfault earthquake motions in the context of spectral regions", Earthq. Eng. Struct.l Dyn., 3, 1769-1789.
- Computers and Structures, Inc. SAP2000 (2011), Static and Dynamic Finite Element Analysis of Structures, Version 15.1.8, Berkeley, CA.
- Constantinou, M.C., Mokha, A. and Reinhorn, A.M. (1990), "Teflon bearings in base isolation II:Modeling", Struct. Eng., 116(2), 455-474. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1990)116:2(455)
- Fenves, G.L., Huang, W.-H., Whittaker, A.S., Clark, P.W. and Mahin, S.A. (1998), "Modeling and characterization of seismic isolation bearings", Proceedings of the US-Italy Workshop on Seismic Protective Systems for Bridges, New York.
- Hameed, A., Koo, M.S., Do, T.D. and Jeong, J.H. (2008), "Effect of lead rubber bearing characteristics on the response of seismic-isolated bridges", KSCE J. Civ. Eng., 12(3), 187-196. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-008-0187-9
- Higashino, M. and Okamoto, S. (2006), Response control and seismic isolation of buildings, Taylor & Francis, Oxon, UK.
- Huang, W.-H., Fenves, G.L., Whittaker, A.S. and Mahin, S.A. (2000), "Characterization of seismic isolation bearings for bridges from bidirectional testing", Proceedings of the 12th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Jangid, R.S. (2007), "Optimum lead-rubber isolation bearings for near-fault motions", Eng. Struct., 29(10), 2503-2513. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.12.010
- Jin, J.J., Zhou, F.L., Tan, P., Huang, X.Y., Zhuang, X.Z. and Shen, C.Y. (2008), "Study on preyield shear stiffness of differential restoring force model for lead rubber bearing, Proceedings of the14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, October 12-17, 2008, Beijing, China.
- Kalpakidis, I.V., Constantinou, M.C. and Whittaker, A.S. (2010), "Modeling strength degradation in lead- rubber bearings under earthquake shaking", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 39(13), 1533-1549. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1039
- Kampas, G., and Makris, N. (2012), "Time and frequency domain identification of seismically isolated structures: advantages and limitations", Earthq.Struct., 3(3-4), 249-270. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2012.3.3_4.249
- Kikuchi, M. and Aiken, I.D. (1997), "An analytical hysteresis model for elastomeric seismic isolation bearings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 26(2), 215-231. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199702)26:2<215::AID-EQE640>3.0.CO;2-9
- Komodromos, P. (2000) Seismic Isolation for Earthquake Resistant Structures. WIT Press: Southampton.
- Kulkarni, J.A. and Jangid, R.S. (2002), "Rigid body response of base-isolated structures", Journal of Structural Control, 9, 171-188. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.11
- Mahmoud, S. and Jankowski, R. (2010), "Pounding-involved response of isolated and non-isolated buildings under earthquake excitation", Earthq. Struct., 1(3), 231-252. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2010.1.3.231
- Makris, N. and Black, C. (2003), Dimensional analysis of inelastic structures subjected to near fault ground motions: Earthquake Engineering Research Center, EERC 2003-05, Berkeley, California.
- Makris, N. and Black, C. (2004), "Dimensional Analysis of Bilinear Oscillators under Pulse Type Excitations", Eng. Mech., 130(9), 1019-1031. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2004)130:9(1019)
- Makris, N. and Vassiliou, M.F. (2011), "The existence of 'complete similarities' in the response of seismic isolated structures subjected to pulse like ground motions and their implications in analysis", Earthquake Eng. Struct. Dyn., 40(10), 1103-1121. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1072
- Malhotra, P.K. (1999), "Response of buildings to near-field pulse-like ground motions", Earthq.Eng. Struct. Dyn., 28, 1309-1326. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199911)28:11<1309::AID-EQE868>3.0.CO;2-U
- Masroor, A. and Mosqueda, G. (2012), "Experimental simulation of base-isolated buildings pounding against moat wall and effects on superstructure response", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 41(14), 2093-2109. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2177
- Matsagar, V.A. and Jangid, R.S. (2008), "Influence of isolator characteristics on the response of baseisolated structures", Eng. Struct., 26, 1735-1749. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.06.011
- Mavroeidis, G.P., Dong, G., and Papageorgiou, A.S. (2004), "Near-fault ground motions, and the response of elastic and inelastic single-degree-of-freedom (SDOF) systems", Earthq. Eng. Struct.l Dyn., 33 (9), 1023-1049. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.391
- Mavronicola, E. and Komodromos, P. (2011), "Assessing the suitability of equivalent linear elastic analysis of seismically isolated multi-storey buildings", Comput. Struct., 89(21-22), 1920-1931. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2011.05.010
- Naeim, F. and Kelly, J.M. (1999), Design of seismic isolated structures: From theory to practice, John Wiley & Sons Inc, Hoboken NJ, USA.
- Nagarajaiah, S., Reinhorn, A.M. and Constantinou, M.C. (1991), "Nonlinear dynamic analysis of 3-D base isolated structures", Struct. Eng., 117(7), 2035-2054. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1991)117:7(2035)
- Nagarajaiah, S. and Xiaohong, S. (2000), "Response of base-isolated USC hospital building in Northridge Earthquake", Struct. Eng., 126(10), 1177-1186. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:10(1177)
- Ozdemir, G. (2014), "Lead core heating in lead rubber bearings subjected to bidirectional ground motion excitations in various soil types", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 43(2), 267-285. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2343
- Park, Y.J., Wen, Y.K. and Ang, A.H-S. (1986), "Random vibration of hysteretic systems under bidirectional ground motions", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn.14, 543-557. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290140405
- Park, J.-G. and Otsuka, H. (1999), "Optimal yield level of bilinear seismic isolation devices", Eng. Struct. Dyn., 28, 941-955. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199909)28:9<941::AID-EQE848>3.0.CO;2-5
- PEER. Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center. Ground motion database, 2011 (Available from: http://peer.berkeley.edu/peer_ground_motion_database).
- Polycarpou, P.C. and Komodromos, P. (2010), "On poundings of a seismically isolated building with adjacent structures during strong earthquakes", Earthq.Eng. Struct. Dyn., 39(8), 933-940.
- Polycarpou, P.C. and Komodromos, P. (2011), "Numerical investigation of potential mitigation measures for poundings of seismically isolated buildings", Earthq. Struct., 2(1), 1-24. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2011.2.1.001
- Providakis, C.P. (2008), "Effect of LRB isolators and supplemental viscous dampers on seismic isolated buildings under near-fault excitations", Eng. Struct., 30(5), 1187-1198. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.07.020
- Ramallo, J.C., Johnson, E.A. and Spencer, B.F. Jr. (2002), "Smart base isolation systems", Eng. Mech., 128(10), 1088-1099. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2002)128:10(1088)
- Robinson, W.H. (1982), "Lead-rubber hysteretic bearings suitable for protecting structures during earthquakes", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 10, 593-604. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290100408
- Sain, P.M., Sain, M.K. and Spencer, B.F. (1997), "Models for hysteresis and application to structural control", Proceedings of the American Control Conference, 1, 16-20.
- Shrimali, M.K. and Jangid, R.S. (2002), "Non-linear seismic response of base-isolated liquid storage tanks to bi-directional excitation", Nuclear Eng. Des., 217(1-2), 1-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(02)00134-6
- Skinner, R.I., Robinson, W.H. and McVerry G.H. (1993), An introduction to seismic isolation, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, West Sussex, UK.
- Varnava, V. and Komodromos, P. (2013), "Assessing the effect of inherent nonlinearities in the analysis and design of a low-rise base isolated steel building", Earthq. Struct., 5(5), 499-526. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.5.5.499
- Vassiliou, M.F., Tsiavos, A. and Stojadinovic, B. (2013), "Dynamics of inelastic base-isolated structures subjected to analytical pulse ground motions", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 42(14), 2043-2060.
- Wen, Y.K. (1976), "Method for random vibration of hysteretic systems", Eng. Mech., 102(2), 249-263.
- Effect of Planar Impact Modeling on the Pounding Response of Base-Isolated Buildings vol.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3389/fbuil.2016.00011
- Experimental Study on Effectiveness of a Prototype Seismic Isolation System Made of Polymeric Bearings vol.7, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/app7080808
- Spatial seismic modeling of base-isolated buildings pounding against moat walls: effects of ground motion directionality and mass eccentricity vol.46, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2850
- Non-iterative computational model for fiber-reinforced elastomeric isolators vol.137, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2017.01.056
- Seismic evaluation and retrofitting of reinforced concrete buildings with base isolation systems vol.10, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.10.2.293
- Optimized retrofit of multi-storey buildings using seismic isolation at various elevations: assessment for several earthquake excitations vol.13, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-015-9737-y
- Advanced Hysteretic Model of a Prototype Seismic Isolation System Made of Polymeric Bearings vol.8, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/app8030400