- Volume 7 Issue 6
This study is aimed to investigate the seismic performance of low-rise precast wall system with base isolation. Three types of High Damping Rubber Bearing (HDRB) were designed to provide effective isolation period of 2.5 s for three different kinds of structure in terms of vertical loading. The real size HDRB was manufactured and tested to obtain the characteristic stiffness as well as damping ratio. In the vertical stiffness test, it was revealed that the HDRB was not an ideal selection to be used in isolating lightweight structure. Time history analysis using 33 real earthquake records classified with respective peak ground acceleration-to-velocity (a/v) ratio was performed for the remaining two types of HDRB with relatively higher vertical loading. HDRB was observed to show significant reduction in terms of base shear and floor acceleration demand in ground excitations having a/v ratio above
high damping rubber bearing;seismic base isolation;precast wall;damping ratio;passive earthquake mitigation
- Abrishambaf, A. and Ozay, G. (2010), "Effects of isolation damping and stiffness on the seismic behavior of structures", Proceedings of the Advances in Control, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering Conference, Tenerife, Spain, November-December.
- Ahmadi, H.R., Fuller, K.N.G. and Muhr, A.H. (1995), "Design and performance of high damping natural rubber base-isolators", Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Seismology and Earthquake Engineering, Tehran, Iran.
- Bljuger, F. (1988). Design of Precast Concrete Structures, Ellis Horwood, West Sussex, England.
- Braga, F. and Laterza, M. (2004), "Field testing of low-rise base isolated building", Eng. Struct., 26(11), 1599-1610. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.06.002
- British Standards Institution (1996), BS 6399: Loading for buildings. Part 1- Code of practice for dead and imposed loads, British Standards Institution, London, UK.
- CEN (2007), EN 15129: Anti Seismic Devices, British Standards Institution, London, UK.
- CEN (2005), BS EN 1337-3:2005 Structural Bearings - Part 3: Elastomeric Bearings, British Standards Institution, London, UK.
- Chung, W.J., Yun, C.B., Kim, N.S. and Seo, J.W. (1999), "Shaking table and pseudo-dynamic tests for the evaluation of the seismic performance of base-isolated structures", Eng. Struct., 21(4), 365-379. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(97)00211-3
- Danila, G. (2013), "Seismic isolation systems for buildings subjected to Vrancea earthquakes", Buletinul Institutului Politehnic Din Iasi, 9(13), 91-102.
- Danila, G., Chesca, A.B. and Petrescu, V. (2014), "Innovative method for buildings protection to seismic actions', Bulletin of the Transilvania University of Brasov Series I: Engineering Sciences, 7(56), 63-70.
- Elnashai, A.S. and Mcclure, D.C. (1996), "Effect of modeling assumptions and input motion characteristics on seismic design parameters of RC bridge piers", Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 25, 435-463. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199605)25:5<435::AID-EQE562>3.0.CO;2-P
- Falborski, T. and Jankowski, R. (2012), "Shaking table experimental study on the base isolation sytem made of polymer bearings", Proceedings of the 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal, September.
- Forni, M. (2010), Guidelines proposal for seismic isolation of nuclear power plant. Unpublished note, Economic Development Ministry.
- Hashemi, S.S., Tasnimi, A.A. and Soltani, M. (2009), "Nonlinear cyclic analysis of reinforced concrete frames, utilizing new joint element", Scientia Iranica Transaction A: Civil Engineering, 16(6), 490-501.
- Kelly, J.M. (1999), "The role of damping in seismic isolation", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 28(1), 3-20. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199901)28:1<3::AID-EQE801>3.0.CO;2-D
- Kelly, T.E. (2001), Base Isolation of Structures: Design Guidelines, Holmes Consulting Group Ltd, Wellington, NZ.
- Kikuchi, M. and Aiken, I.D. (1997), "An analytical hysteresis model for elastomeric seismic isolation bearings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 26(2), 215-231. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199702)26:2<215::AID-EQE640>3.0.CO;2-9
- Kubin, J., Kubin, D., Ozmen, A., Sadan, O.B., Eroglu, E., Sucuoglu, H. and Akkar, S. (2012). "Seismic Isolated Hospital Design Practice in Turkey: Erzurum Medical Campus", Proceedings of the 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal, September.
- Malek, K.A., Ahmadi, H.R., Muhr, A.H., Stephens, I.J., Gough, J., Picken, J.K., Lee, J.J., Zulkefli, M.U. and Taib, I.M. (2012), "Seismic protection of 2nd Penang Crossing using high damping natural rubber isolators", Proceedings of the 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal, September.
- Mayes, R.L. and Naeim, F. (2001), Chapter 14: Design of Structure with Seismic Isolation. In: Naeim, F. (Ed.) The Seismic Design Handbook, (2nd Edition), Kluwer Academic Pub, Boston.
- Moroni, M.O., Sarrazin, M., Brull, J. and Munoz, R. (2006), "Shaking table tests of a scaled base isolated shear wall building", Proceedings of the 8th US National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, San Francisco, USA, April.
- Naeim, K. and Kelly, J.M. (1999), Design of Seismic Isolated Structures - From Theory to Practice, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA.
- NBCC (1985), National Building Code of Canada 1985, National Research Council of Canada, Ontario, Canada.
- Politopoulos, I. (2008), "A review of adverse effects of damping in seismic isolation", Earthq.Eng. Struct. Dyn., 37(3), 447-465. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.763
- Sarrazin, M.J. (1992), "Design and construction of a building on seismic isolators", Bull. IISEE. 26, 481-497.
- Sayani, P.J. (2009), "Relative performance comparison and loss estimation of seismically isolated and fixedbased buildings using PBEE approach", Ph.D. Dissertation, Utah State University, Utah.
- Soudki, K.A., West, J.S., Rizkalla, S.H. and Blackett, B. (1996), "Horizontal connections for precast concrete shear wall panels under cyclic shear loading", PCI J., 41(3), 64-80.
- Taniwangsa, W. (2002), "Design considerations for a base isolated demonstration building", Earthq. Spect., 18(4), 761-776. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1516752
- Thurston, S.J. (2006), Base Isolation of Low Rise Light and Medium-Weight Buildings. Unpublished note, BRANZ.
- Tiong, P.L.Y. (2014), "Performance of load-bearing precast concrete wall with base isolation subjected to seismic loadings", Ph.D. Dissertaion, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Skudai.
- Tiong, P.L.Y., Adnan, A. and Hamid, N.H.A. (2013), "Behaviour factor and displacement estimation of low-ductility precast wall system under seismic actions", Earthq. Struct., 5(6), 625-655. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.5.6.625
- Warn, G.P. and Ryan, K.L. (2012), "A review of seismic isolation for buildings: Historical development and research needs", Build., 2, 300-325. https://doi.org/10.3390/buildings2030300
- Wu, Y.M. and Samali, B. (2002), "Shake table testing of a base isolated model", Eng. Struct., 24(9), 1203-1215. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(02)00054-8
- Yoo, B. and Kim, Y.H. (2002), "Study on effects of damping in laminated rubber bearings on seismic responses for a 1/8 scale isolated test structure", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 31(10), 1777-1792. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.186
- Zhu, T.J., Heidebrecht, A.C. and Tso, W.K. (1988), "Effect of peak ground acceleration to velocity ratio on ductility demand of inelastic systems", Earthq. Eng. Struct .Dyn., 16, 63-79. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290160106