- Volume 7 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Optimum tuned mass damper approaches for adjacent structures
- Nigdeli, Sinan Melih (Department of Civil Engineering, Istanbul University) ;
- Bekdas, Gebrail (Department of Civil Engineering, Istanbul University)
- Received : 2014.04.11
- Accepted : 2014.07.01
- Published : 2014.12.25
Pounding of adjacent structures are always a notable reason for damages after strong ground motions, but it is already unforeseen detail in newly constructed structures. Thus, several approaches have been proposed in order to prevent the pounding of structures. By using optimally tuned mass dampers, it is possible to decrease the displacement vibrations of structures. But in adjacent structures, the response of both structures must be considered in the objective function of optimization process. In this paper, two different designs of Tuned Mass Dampers (TMD) are investigated. The first design covers independent TMDs on both structures. In the second design, adjacent structures are coupled by a TMD on the top of the structures. Optimum TMD parameters are found by using the developed optimization methodology employing harmony search algorithm. The proposed method is presented with single degree of freedom and multiple degree of freedom structures. Results show that the coupled design is not effective on multiple degree of freedom adjacent structures. The coupled design is only effective for rigid structures with a single degree of freedom while the use of independent TMDs are effective on both rigid and flexural structures.
Supported by : Istanbul University
- Akin, A. and Saka, M.P. (2010), "Optimum Detailed Design of Reinforced Concrete Continuous Beams using the Harmony Search Algorithm", in B.H.V. Topping, J.M. Adam, F.J. Pallares, R. Bru, M.L. Romero, (Editors), "Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Computational Structures Technology", Civil-Comp Press, Stirlingshire, UK, Paper 131.
- Anagnostopoulos, S.A. and Karamaneas, C.E. (2008), "Use of collision shear walls to minimize seismic separation and to protect adjacent buildings from collapse due to earthquake-induced pounding", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 37, 1371-1388. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.817
- Bekdas, G. and Nigdeli, S.M. (2011), "Estimating optimum parameters of tuned mass dampers using harmony Search", Eng. Struct., 33, 2716-2723. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2011.05.024
- Bekdas, G. and Nigdeli, S.M. (2012), "Preventing the pounding of adjacent buildings with harmony search optimized tuned mass damper", In: 3rd European Conference of Civil Engineering, December 2-4 2012, Paris, France.
- Bekdas, G. and Nigdeli, S.M. (2013a), "Optimization of T-shaped RC flexural members for different compressive strengths of concrete", Int. J. Mech., 7, 109-119.
- Bekdas, G. and Nigdeli, S.M. (2013b), "Optimization of Tuned Mass Damper with Harmony Search", In Metaheuristic Applications in Structures and Infrastructures, Edited by Amir Hossein Gandomi, Xin-She Yang, Amir Hossein Alavi, Siamak Talatahari. Elsevier.
- Bekdas, G. and Nigdeli, S.M. (2013c), "Mass ratio factor for optimum tuned mass dmper strategies", Int. J. Mech. Sci., 71, 68-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2013.03.014
- Bharti, S.D., Dumne, S.M. and Shrimali, M.K. (2010), "Seismic response analysis of adjacent buildings connected with MR dampers", Eng. Struct., 32, 2122-2133. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.03.015
- Bigdeli, K. and Hare, W. (2012), "Tesfamariam S. Configuration optimization of dampers for adjacent buildings under seismic excitations", Eng Optim, 44, 1491-1509. https://doi.org/10.1080/0305215X.2012.654788
- Chang, C.C. (1999), "Mass dampers and their optimal designs for building vibration control", Engineering Structures, 21, 454-463. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(97)00213-7
- Cimellaro, G.P. and Lopez-Garcia, D. (2011), "Algorithm for design of controlled motion of adjacent structures", Struct. Control Health Monit., 18, 140-148. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.357
- Cundumi, O. and Suarez, L.E. (2008), "Numerical Investigation of a Variable Damping Semiactive Device for the Mitigation of the Seismic Response of Adjacent Structures", Computer-aided civil and infrastructure engineering, 23, 291-308. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8667.2007.00537.x
- Den Hartog, J.P. (1947), Mechanical Vibrations, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Erdal, F., Dogan, E. and Saka, M.P. (2011), "Optimum Design of Cellular Beams Using Harmony Search and Particle Swarm Optimizers", Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 67(2), 237-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2010.07.014
- Frahm, H. (1911), Device for damping of bodies, U.S. Patent No: 989,958.
- Geem, Z.W. (2008), "Novel derivative of harmony search algorithm for discrete design variables", Applied Mathematics and Computation, 199, 223-230. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2007.09.049
- Geem, Z.W. (2009), "Harmony search optimisation to the pump-included water distribution network design", Civil Eng. Environ. Syst., 26(3), 211-221. https://doi.org/10.1080/10286600801919813
- Geem, Z.W. (2010), "Multiobjective optimization of time-cost trade-off uing harrmony search", J. Construct. Eng.Manag.-ASCE, 136(6), 711-716. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CO.1943-7862.0000167
- Geem, Z.W. (2011), "Parameter estimation of the nonlinear muskingum model using parameter-setting-free harmony search", J. Hydrologic Eng., 16(8), 684-688. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)HE.1943-5584.0000352
- Geem, Z.W, Cho, Y.-H. (2011), "Optimal design of water distribution networks using parameter-settingfree harmony search for two major parameters", J. Water Resources Plan. Manag.-ASCE, 137(4), 377-380. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000130
- Geem, Z.W., Kim, J.H. and Loganathan, G.V. (2001), "A new heuristic optimization algorithm: harmony search", Simul., 76, 60-68. https://doi.org/10.1177/003754970107600201
- Hadi, M.N.S. and Arfiadi, Y. (1998), "Optimum design of absorber for MDOF structures", J. Struct. Eng.-ASCE, 124, 1272-1280. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1998)124:11(1272)
- Hasancebi, O., Carbas, S., Dogan, E., Erdal, F. and Saka, M.P. (2010), "Comparison of non-deterministic search techniques in the optimum design of real size seel fames", Comput. Struct., 88(17-18), 1033-1048. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2010.06.006
- Jeng, V. and Tzeng, W.L. (2000), "Assessment of seismic pounding hazard for Taipei City", Eng. Struct., 22, 459-471. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(98)00123-0
- Kim, G.C. and Kang, J.W. (2011), "Seismic response control of adjacent building by using hybrid control algorithm of MR", Procedia Eng., 14, 1013-1020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2011.07.127
- Lee, K.S. and Geem, Z.W. (2004), "A new structural optimization method based on the harmony search algorithm", Comput. Struct., 82, 781-798. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2004.01.002
- Lee, K.S. and Geem, Z.W. (2005), "A new meta-heuristic algorithm for continuous engineering optimization:Harmony search theory and practice", Comput.Meth. Appl. Mech. Eng., 194, 3902-3933. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2004.09.007
- Lee, K.S., Geem, Z.W., Lee, S.H. and Bae, K.W. (2005), "The harmony search heuristic algorithm for discrete structural optimization", Eng. Optimization, 37, 663-684. https://doi.org/10.1080/03052150500211895
- Leung, A.Y.T. and Zhang, H. (2009), "Particle swarm optimization of tuned mass dampers", Eng. Struct., 31, 715-728. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.11.017
- Leung, A.Y.T., Zhang, H., Cheng, C.C. and Lee, Y.Y. (2008), "Particle swarm optimization of TMD by non-stationary base excitation during earthquake", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 37, 1223-1246. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.811
- Mathworks (2010) MATLAB R2010a. The MathWorks Inc., Natick, MA,USA.
- Marano, G.C., Greco, R. and Chiaia, B. (2010), "A comparison between different optimization criteria for tuned mass dampers design", J. Sound Vib., 329, 4880-4890. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2010.05.015
- Matsagar, V.A. and Jangid, R.S. (2005), "Viscoelastic damper connected to adjacent structures involving seismic isolation", J. Civil Eng. Manag., 11(4), 309-322. https://doi.org/10.1080/13923730.2005.9636362
- Ni, Y.Q., Ko, J.M. and Ying, Z.G. (2001), "Random Seismic Response Analysis of Adjacent Buildings Coupled with Non-Linear Hysteretic Dampers", J. Sound Vib., 246(3), 403-417. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.2001.3679
- Nigdeli, S.M. and Bekdaş, G. (2013), "Optimum tuned mass damper design for preventing brittle fracture of RC buildings", Smart Struct. Syst., 12, 137-155. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2013.12.2.137
- Ormondroyd, J. and Den Hartog, J.P. (1928), "The theory of dynamic vibration absorber", Transact. Am.. Soc.Mech.Eng., 50, 9-22.
- Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center (PEER NGA DATABASE) http://peer.berkeley.edu/nga.
- Park, K.-S. and Ok S.-Y. (2012), "Optimal design of actively controlled adjacent structures for balancing the mutually conflicting objectives in design preference aspects", Eng. Struct., 45, 213-222. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.06.020
- Polycarpou, P.C. and Komodromos, P. (2010), "Earthquake-induced poundings of a seismically isolated building with adjacent structures", Eng. Struct., 32, 1937-1951. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.03.011
- Polycarpou, P.C., Komodromos, P. and Polycarpou, A.C. (2013), "A nonlinear impact model for simulating the use of rubber shock absorbers for mitigating the effects of structural pounding during earthquakes", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 42, 81-100. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2194
- Sadek, F., Mohraz, B., Taylor, A.W. and Chung, R.M. (1997), "A method of estimating the parameters of tuned mass dampers for seismic applications", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 26, 617-635. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199706)26:6<617::AID-EQE664>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Sheikh, M.N., Xiong, J. and Li, W.H. (2012), "Reduction of seismic pounding effects of base-isolated RC highway bridges using MR damper", Struct. Eng.Mech., 41(6), 791-803. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2012.41.6.791
- Singh, M.P., Singh, S. and Moreschi, L.M. (2002), "Tuned mass dampers for response control of torsional buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 31, 749-769. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.119
- Steinbuch, R. (2011), "Bionic optimisation of the earthquake resistance of high buildings by tuned mass dampers", J. Bionic. Eng., 8, 335-344. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1672-6529(11)60036-X
- Togan, V., Daloglu, A.T. and Karadeniz, H. (2011), "Optimization of Trusses under Uncertainties with Harmony Search", Struct. Eng.Mech., 37(5), 543-560. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2011.37.5.543
- Toklu, Y.C., Bekdas, G. and Temur, R. (2013), "Analysis of trusses by total potential optimization method coupled with harmony search", Struct. Eng. Mech., 45(2), 183-199. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.45.2.183
- Trombetti, T. and Silvestri, S. (2007), "Novel schemes for inserting seismic dampers in shear-type systems based upon the mass proportional component of the Rayleigh damping matrix", J. Sound Vib., 302, 486-526 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2006.11.030
- Tubaldi, E., Barbato, M. and Ghazizadeh, S. (2012), "A probabilistic performance-based risk assessment approach for seismic pounding with efficient application to linear systems", Struct. Safety, 36-37, 14-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.strusafe.2012.01.002
- Warburton, G.B. (1982), "Optimum absorber parameters for various combinations of response and excitation parameters", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 10, 381-401. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290100304
- Yang, X.S. (2010), Engineering Optimization: An Introduction with Metaheuristic Applications, Wiley New Jersey.
- Ying, Z.G., Ni, Y.Q. and Ko, J.M. (2003), "Stochastic optimal coupling-control of adjacent building structures", Comput. Struct., 81, 2775-2787. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(03)00332-8
- Xu, Y.L. and Zhang, W.S. (2002), "Closed-form solution for seismic response of adjacent buildings with linear quadratic Gaussian controllers", Earthq. Eng.Struct. Dyn., 31, 235-259. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.107
- Tuned mass damper system of high-rise intake towers optimized by improved harmony search algorithm vol.138, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2017.02.011
- Design of double dynamic vibration absorbers for reduction of two DOF vibration system vol.57, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2016.57.1.161
- Application of artificial neural networks in optimal tuning of tuned mass dampers implemented in high-rise buildings subjected to wind load vol.17, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11803-018-0483-4
- Optimum design of multiple positioned tuned mass dampers for structures constrained with axial force capacity pp.15417794, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1593