- Volume 7 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effect of reducing tsunami damage by installing fairing in Kesen-Bridge
- Abukawa, Takahiro (Department of Design, CHODAI) ;
- Nakamura, Yuto (Department of Civil Engineering, Hachinohe Institute of Technology) ;
- Hasegawa, Akira (Department of Civil Engineering, Hachinohe Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2014.03.07
- Accepted : 2014.06.09
- Published : 2014.12.25
The 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake brought serious damage around the Tohoku district in Japan, and much human life and fortune were lost. Bridges were damaged by this earthquake. It was the most serious damage that the superstructures of bridges were flowed out by tsunami. Earthquakes of the same scale are predicted in other areas of Japan. It is necessary to take measures for bridges near coast. In order to understand the tsunami force acting on the bridge, hydraulic model experiments was conducted. In addition, this paper focused on fairing that is effective in wind resistant stability. Installing fairing to bridges has been verified by experiments whether it is possible to reduce the force of tsunami.
- Kosa, K., Uchida, S., Unjho, S. and Shoji, G. (2007), "Investigation and analysis of the damaged bridges due to the sumatora", J. Earthq. Eng., 29, 895-901.
- Itonaga, W., Nakao, H., Izuno, K. and Kobayashi, H. (2012), "Experimental study on Tsunami forces against plate girder bridge", J. JSCE(A1), 68(4), I_1126-I_1133.
- Nakao, H., Izuno, K. and Kobayashi, H. (2010), "Study on relation of velocity and wave height to hydrodynamic force on bridges by tsunami", J. Struct. Eng., 56(A), 564-575.
- Nakao, H., Itonaga, W., Nozaka, K., Izuno, K. and Kobayashi, H. (2012), "Pressure characteristics of rectangular section girder bridge due to Tsunami", J. JSCE(A1), 68(4), I_1145-I_1150.
- Nii, S., Kosa, K.,Shoji, G. and Kimura, K. (2009), "Experimental examination concerning tidal wave action power to bridge", J. Struct. Eng., 55(1A), 471-482.
- Shoji, G., Hiraki, Y., Ezura, Y., Iidaka, M., Fujima, K. and Shigihara, Y. (2012), "Experimental study on the mechanism of horizontal and vertical wave forces acting on a bridge deck subjected to breaker bores", J. JSCE(A1), 68(4) , I_1134-I_1144
- Zhang, G., Usui, T. and Hoshikuma, J.I. (2010), "Experimental study on a countermeasure for reducing tsunami wave force acting on superstructure of bridges", J. Struct. Eng., 66(1), 425-433.
- Zheng, Y. Kosa, K. Fu, L. (2013), "Evaluation for outflow of girder due to tsunami", JSCE Annual. Meeting, I-029, 57-58.