- Volume 7 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Optimal placement and design of nonlinear dampers for building structures in the frequency domain
- Fujita, Kohei (Department of Architecture and Architectural Engineering, Kyoto University) ;
- Kasagi, Masatoshi (Department of Architecture and Architectural Engineering, Kyoto University) ;
- Lang, Zi-Qiang (Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering, University of Sheffield) ;
- Penfei, Guo (Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering, University of Sheffield) ;
- Takewaki, Izuru (Department of Architecture and Architectural Engineering, Kyoto University)
- Received : 2014.02.27
- Accepted : 2014.06.29
- Published : 2014.12.25
In this paper, a systematic technique is proposed for the optimal placement and design of nonlinear dampers for building structures. The concept of Output Frequency Response Function (OFRF) is applied to analytically represent the output frequency response of a building frame where nonlinear viscous dampers are fitted for suppression of vibration during earthquakes. An effective algorithm is derived using the analytical representation to optimally determine the locations and parameters of the nonlinear dampers. Various numerical examples are provided to verify the effectiveness of the optimal designs. A comparison of the vibration suppression performance with that of the frame structure under a random or uniform damping allocation is also made to demonstrate the advantages of the new designs over traditional solutions.
- Adachi, F., Yoshitomi, S., Tsuji, M., Takewaki, I. (2013), "Nonlinear optimal oil damper design in seismically controlled multi-story building frame", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 44(1), 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2012.08.010
- Adachi, F., Fujita, K., Tsuji, M. and Takewaki, I. (2013), "Importance of interstory velocity on optimal along-height allocation of viscous oil dampers in super high-rise buildings", Eng. Struct., 56, 489-500. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.05.036
- Attard, TL. (2007), "Controlling all interstory displacements in highly nonlinear steel buildings using optimal viscous damping", J. Struct. Eng. ASCE, 133(9), 331-340.
- Aydin, E., Boduroglub, M.H., and Guney, D. (2007), "Optimal damper distribution for seismic rehabilitation of planar building structures", Eng. Struct., 29, 176-185. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.04.016
- Cimellaro, G.P. (2007), "Simultaneous stiffness-damping optimization of structures with respect to acceleration, displacement and base shear", Eng. Struct., 29, 2853-2870. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.01.001
- Fujita, K., Moustafa, A. and Takewaki, I. (2010), "Optimal placement of viscoelastic dampers and supporting members under variable critical excitations", Earthq. Struct., 1(1), 43-67. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2010.1.1.043
- Gasparini, D.A. and Vanmarcke, E.H. (1976) "Simulated earthquake motions compatible with prescribed response spectra - SIMOQKE", A computer program distributed by NISEE/Computer Applications, Berkeley.
- Goel,R.K. (2004). "Seismic response control of irregular structures using nonlinear dampers", 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, B.C., Canada, August 1-6, Paper No. 3212
- Guo, P.F. and Lang, Z.Q. (2011), "Nonlinear viscous damping design for civil structure vibration control using output frequency response function", Proceedings of 2011 World Congress on Advances in Structural Engineering and Mechanics, Seoul, Korea, 18-22, September.
- Hwang, J.S. (2002), "Seismic design of structures with viscous dampers", Proceedings of the International Training Programs for Seismic Design of Building Structures.
- Hwang, J.S., Lin, W.C. and Wu, N.J. (2013), "Comparison of distribution methods for viscous damping coefficients to buildings", Struct. Infrastruct. Eng., 9(1), 28-41.
- Laalej, H., Lang, Z.Q., Daley, S., Zazas, I., Billings, S.A. and Tomlinson, G.R. (2012), "Application of nonlinear damping to vibration isolation: an experimental study", Nonlinear Dynamics, 69, 409-421. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11071-011-0274-1
- Lang, Z.Q., Billings, S.A., Yue, R. and Li, J. (2007), "Output frequency response function of nonlinear Volterra systems", Automatica, 43, 805-816. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.automatica.2006.11.013
- Lang, ZQ, Guo, PF and Takewaki, I. (2013), "Output frequency response function based design of additional nonlinear viscous dampers for vibration control of multi-degree-of-freedom systems", J. Sound Vib., 332(19), 4461-4481. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2013.04.001
- Lang, Z.Q., Jing, X.J., Billings, S.A., Tomlinson, G.R. and Peng, Z.K. (2009), "Theoretical study of the effects of nonlinear viscous damping on vibration isolation of sdof systems", J. Sound Vib., 323, 352-365. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2009.01.001
- Lavan, O. and Levy, R. (2005), "Optimal design of supplemental viscous dampers for irregular shear-frames in the presence of yielding", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 34(8), 889-907. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.458
- Lavan, O. and Levy, R. (2006), "Optimal design of supplemental viscous dampers for linear framed structures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 35(3), 337-356. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.524
- Martinez-Rodrigo, M., Romero, M.L. (2003), "An optimum retrofit strategy for moment resisting frames with nonlinear viscous dampers for seismic applications", Eng. Struct., 25(7), 913-925. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(03)00025-7
- Murakami, Y., Noshi, K., Fujita, K., Tsuji, M. and Takewaki, I. (2013), "Simultaneous optimal damper placement using oil, hysteretic and inertial mass dampers", Earthq. Struct., 5(3), 261-276. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.5.3.261
- Palermo, M., Muscio, S., Silvestri, S., Landi, L. and Trombetti, T. (2013), "On the dimensioning of viscous dampers for the mitigation of the earthquake-induced effects in moment-resisting frame structures", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 11(6), 2429-2446. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-013-9474-z
- Silvestri, S., Gasparini, G. and Trombetti, T. (2010), "A five-step procedure for the dimensioning of viscous dampers to be inserted in building structures", J. Earthq. Eng., 14(3), 417-447. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632460903093891
- Singh, M.P. and Moreschi, L.M. (2001), "Optimal seismic response control with dampers", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 30(4), 553-572. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.23
- Soong, T.T. and Costantinou, M.C. (1994), Passive and Active Structural Vibration Control in Civil Engineering, Springer, Verlag Wien, New York.
- Takewaki, I. (1997), "Optimal damper placement for minimum transfer functions", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 26(11), 1113-1124. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199711)26:11<1113::AID-EQE696>3.0.CO;2-X
- Takewaki, I. (2009). Building Control with Passive Dampers: -Optimal Performance-based Design for Earthquakes-, John Wiley & Sons Ltd. (Asia), September.
- Trombetti, T. and Silvestri, S. (2004), "Added viscous dampers in shear-type structures: The effectiveness of mass proportional damping", J. Earthq. Eng., 8(2), 275-313.
- Uetani, K., Tsuji, M. and Takewaki, I. (2003), "Application of optimum design method to practical building frames with viscous dampers and hysteretic dampers", Eng. Struct., 25, 579-592. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(02)00168-2
- Determination of critical excitation in seismic analysis of structures vol.9, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.9.4.875