- Volume 7 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Optimal design of the seismic protection system for isolated bridges
- Losanno, Daniele (Department of Structures for Architecture and Engineering, University Federico II) ;
- Spizzuoco, Mariacristina (Department of Structures for Architecture and Engineering, University Federico II) ;
- Serino, Giorgio (Department of Structures for Architecture and Engineering, University Federico II)
- Received : 2014.02.13
- Accepted : 2014.06.10
- Published : 2014.12.25
Aim of the paper is the definition of optimal design parameters characterizing the isolation system of a bridge, both in the case of elastomeric (VI) and sliding bearings (SI), having viscoelastic or rigid-plastic behavior, respectively, installed between the piers and the deck. The problem is treated by means of an analytical approach. Using the frequency response analysis, a simple procedure is proposed to determine the optimal value of the viscous coefficient or the yield displacement of the isolators. The adequacy of the proposed procedure is finally verified through time-history analyses performed on a practical case under natural earthquakes.
- American Concrete Institute (ACI) Committee 318 (2011), "Building code requirement for structural concrete (ACI 318-11) and commentary", Farmington Hills, MI: American Concrete Institute
- American Society of Civil Engineers/Structural Engineering Institute (ASCE/SEI) Committee 41 (2007), "Seismic Rehabilitation of Existing Structures", ASCE 41-06 Reston, VI, 428.
- ASTM Standard A706/A706M-13 (2013), "Standard specification for low-alloy steel deformed and plain bars for concrete reinforcement", ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA
- ASTM Standard A615/A615M-13 (2013), "Standard specification for deformed and plain carbon-steel bars for concrete reinforcement", ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA
- Bae, B. and Bayrak, O. (2008), "Plastic hinge length of reinforced concrete columns", ACI Struct. J., 105(3), 290-300
- Baker, A. and Amarakone, A. (1965), "Inelastic hyperstatic frames analysis", ACI Special Publication, 12, 85-142
- Corley, W.G. (1966), "Rotational capacity of reinforced concrete beams", Proceedings of the American Society of Civil Engineers, ST 5, 121-146
- Cosenza E., Manfredi, G. and Ramasco, R. (1993), "The use of damage functionals in earthquake engineering: a comparison between different models", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 22, 855-868 https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290221003
- Eleftheriadou, A.K. and Karabinis, A.I. (1999), "Seismic vulnerability assessment of buildings based on damage data after a near field earthquake", Earthq. Struct., 3(2), 117-140
- Elwood, K.J. and Eberhard, M.O. (2009), "Effective stiffness of reinforced concrete columns", ACI Struct. J., 106(4), 476-484
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) (1997), "NEHRP Guidelines for the Seismic Rehabilitation of Buildings", FEMA-273, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington, DC, 435.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) (2007), Interim Testing Protocols for Determining the Seismic Performance Characteristics of Structural and Nonstructural Components, FEMA-461, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington, DC, 138.
- Ghannoum, W.M., and Moehle, J.P. (2012a), "Shake-table tests of a concrete frame sustaining column axial failures", ACI Struct. J., 109(3), 393-402.
- Ghannoum, W.M and Moehle, J.P. (2012b), "Dynamic collapse analysis of a concrete frame sustaining column axial failures", ACI Struct. J., 109(3), 403-412.
- Sezen, H. and Moehle, J.P. ( 2006), "Seismic tests of concrete columns with light transverse reinforcement", ACI Struct. J., 103(6), 842-849
- Ghannoum, W.M., Saouma, V., Haussmann, G., Polkinghorne, K., Eck, M. and Kang, D.H. (2012), "Experimental investigations of loading rate effects in reinforced concrete columns", J. Struct. Eng., 138(8), 1032-1041 https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000540
- Gerin, M. and Adebar, P. (2009), "Simple rational model for reinforced concrete subjected to seismic shear", J. Struct. Eng., 135(7), 753-761). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2009)135:7(753)
- IAAE 1996 - IAEE (1996), Regulations for Seismic Design. International Association for Earthquake Engineering, a world list.
- Kim, Y., Quinn, K.T., Satrom, C.N., Ghannoum, W.M. and Jirsa, J.O. (2011), "Shear strengthening RC Tbeams using CFRP laminates and anchors", ACI Special Publication, SP275-36, 1-18.
- Leborgne, M.R. (2012), "Modeling the post shear failure behavior of Reinforced concrete columns", Ph.D. dissertation, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX.
- Lehman, D., Moehle, J., Mahin, S., Calderone, A. and Henry, L. (2004), "Experimental evaluation of the seismic performance of reinforced concrete bridge columns", J. Struct. Eng., 130(6), 869-879. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:6(869)
- Lynn, A.K. (2001), "Seismic evaluation of existing reinforced concrete building columns", Ph.D. dissertation, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA.
- Mathworks (2014), "Matlab Image Processing Toolbox", http://www.mathworks.com/products/image/
- Macchi, G., Pinto, P.E. and Sanpaolesi, L. (1996), "Ductility requirements for reinforcement under Eurocodes", Struct. Eng. Int., 6(4), 249-254. https://doi.org/10.2749/101686696780496148
- Mendis, P. (2001), "Plastic hinge lengths of normal and high-strength concrete in flexure", Adv. Struct. Eng., 4(4), 189-195. https://doi.org/10.1260/136943301320896651
- National Instruments, 2014, "NI Vision Development Toolbox", http://www.ni.com/labview/vision/
- Park, Y.J and Ang, A.H.S. (1985), "Mechanical seismic damage model for reinforced concrete", ASCE, 111(4), 722-757 https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1985)111:4(722)
- Paulay, T. and Priestley, M.J.N. (1992), Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete and Masonry Buildings, John Wiley and Sons, Canada
- Priestley, M.J.N., Seible, F. and Calvi, G.M. (1996), Seismic Design and Retrofit of Bridges, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York
- Priestley, M.J.N. (2003), "Myths and fallacies in earthquake engineering, revisited" (In the Ninth Mallet Milne Lecture), Rose School, Pavia, Italy., 9-31
- Saatcioglu M. and Ozcebe, G. (1989), "Response of reinforced concrete columns to simulated seismic loading", ACI Struct. J., 86(1), 3-12
- Verderame, G.M., Fabbrocino, G. and Manfredi, G. (2008), "Seismic response of RC columns with smooth reinforcement. Part II: Cyclic tests", Eng. Struct., 30(9), 2289-2300 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.01.024
- Design and Retrofit of Multistory Frames with Elastic-Deformable Viscous Damping Braces 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2017.1387193
- An optimal design procedure for a simple frame equipped with elastic-deformable dissipative braces vol.101, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.07.055
- Design charts for eurocode-based design of elastomeric seismic isolation systems 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2017.12.017