- Volume 21 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Exercise Program on Pain and Quality of Life for Patients with Knee Osteoarthritis: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
무릎 골관절염 환자에게 적용된 운동 프로그램이 통증 및 삶의 질에 미치는 영향: 체계적 문헌고찰과 메타분석
- Received : 2014.07.15
- Accepted : 2014.10.14
- Published : 2014.12.31
Purpose: This study examined the effects of exercise programs on the pain and quality of life in patients with knee osteoarthritis. Methods: Electronic bibliographic databases of KiSTi, KoreaMed, KISS and KERIS were searched to identify studies of randomized controlled trials and non-randomized controlled trials. As a result, 1213 publications identified and 16 studies met inclusion and exclusion criteria. All studies examined for quality assessment of studies using Cochrane's risk of bias. Results: The 16 studies were eligible for inclusion criteria, then the meta-analysis was conducted to examine effectiveness of exercise programs on pain and quality of life in patients with knee osteoarthritis. The meta- analysis based on the random effect model showed that the exercise program was beneficial in decreasing pain (effect size .69; 95% confidence interval 0.45~0.91). Also, the exercise programs have been shown to be effective in significantly improving the quality of life. However, it was not statistically significant due to severe deviations of studies (effect size 1.06; 95% confidence interval -0.34~2.46). Conclusion: Exercise programs had positive effects on pain relief and improvement of the quality of life in patients with knee osteoarthritis, although the quality of life was not statistically significant due to severe deviations of studies.
Osteoarthritis;Exercise;Pain;Quality of life
- Baker, K. R., Felson, D. T., Layne, J. E., Nelson, M. E., & Roubenoff, R. (1999). The efficacy of home-based progressive strength training for knee osteoarthritis (KOA). Arthritis Rheum, 28 (7), 1655-65.
- Brismee, J. M., Boatright, J. D., Chyu, M. C., Frenq, D., Hagar, J. M., McCaleb, J. A., et al. (2007). Group and home-based tai chi in elderly subjects with knee osteoarthritis: A randomized controlled trial. Clinical Rehabilitation, 21 (2), 99-111. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0269215506070505 https://doi.org/10.1177/0269215506070505
- Byun, H. S., Choi, H. S., Hong, H. P., Ko, Y. G., Kim, S. C., Lim, S. G., et al.(2011). Effect of gender on moderate to severe traumatic brain injury: A meta-analysis and systematic review. Journal of The Korean Society of Emergency Medicine, 22 (3), 206-216.
- Cheon, E. Y., & Lee, M. S. (2009). Effects of an exercise program using social networks on elders with osteoarthritis. Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing Society, 11 (2), 152-161.
- Choi, H. J., Kang, H. S., Kim, I. J., & Kim, J. I. (1997). The effect of aquatic exercise program on pain, physical index, selfefficacy, and quality of life in patients with osteoarthritis. Journal of Rheumatology Health, 4 (1), 15-25.
- Choi, H. K,. Kim, H. S., & Kim, N. S. (2009). Effects of water exercise program on the physical stiffness, pain, and quality of life in patients with osteoarthritis. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 16 (1), 55-65.
- Choi, H. K. (2009). Effects of water exercise on physical fitness, pain and quality of life in patients with osteoarthritis. Unpublished master's thesis. Seoul National University of Science and Technology, Seoul.
- Choi, S. H. (2001). The effects of health promotion program on health of the clients with arthritis in primary health care center. Journal of Community Health Nursing, 2 (12), 344-360.
- Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd ed.). NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc.
- Gil, M. S. (2010). Analgesic effects of acupuncture and physical treatments for knee osteoarthritis: A meta-analysis of placebo-controlled randomized trials. Unpublished master's thesis, Kyung Hee University, Seoul.
- Gine-Garriga, M., Roque-Figuls, M., Coll-Planas, L., Sitja-Rabert, M., & Salva A. (2014). Physical exercise interventions for improving performance-based measures of physical function in community-dwelling, fail older adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 95 (4), 753-769. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2013.11.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2013.11.007
- Glass, G. V. (1976). Primary, secondary, and meta-analysis of research. Educational Researcher, 5 (10), 3-8.
- Hopman, R. M., & Westhoff, M. H. (2000). The effects of a health educational and exercise program for older adults with osteoarthritis for the hip or knee. Journal of Rheumatology, 27 (8), 1947-1954. http://dx.doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-151-4-200908180-00135 https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-151-4-200908180-00135
- Kang, Y. H. (2008). Encyclopedia of life science. Seoul, Korea: Academy Pub.
- Kim, J. K., & Roh, S. K. (2009). Effect of Nordic walking and aquatic exercise on oxidative stress and pain in women with degenerative arthritis. Exercise Science, 18 (4), 549-558. https://doi.org/10.15857/ksep.2009.18.4.549
- Kim, Y. J., Seo N. S., Lim, Y. N., Kim, H, S., Kim, Y. S., & Kim, S. J. (2012). Effects of taekwondo exercise program in women with osteoarthritis. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 19 (2), 210-222. http://dx.doi.org/10.5953/jmjh.2012.19.2.210 https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2012.19.2.210
- Lauche, R., Langhorst, J., Dobos, G., & Cramer, H. (2013). A systematic review and meta-analysis of Tai Chi for osteoarthritis of the knee. Complementary Therapies in Medicine, 21 (4), 396-406. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2013.06.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2013.06.001
- Lee, E. O., Lee, I. O., & Song, R. Y. (2002). Pre-post comparisons on physical symptoms balance, muscle strength, physical functioning and depression in women with osteoarthritis after 12 weeks tai chi exercise. Journal of Rheumatology Health, 9 (1), 28-39.
- Lee, E. O., Suh, M. J., Kim, K. S., Kang, H. S., Han, S. S., Lim, N. Y., et al. (2002). The effects of self-help health promotion program for arthritis patients from year 1997 to 2000. Journal of Rheumatol Health, 9 (1), 5-17.
- Lee, E. Y., & Lim, N. Y. (1997). Effect of short term self-help education on pain, depression, self-efficacy, and quality of life in patients having chronic arthritis. Journal of Rheumatology Health, 4 (2), 249-261.
- Matsuno, K., Ibi, M., Shiba, D., Katsuyama, M., Iwata, K., Kahehi, T., et al. (2008). Reactive oxygen species derived from NOX1/ NADPH oxidase enhance inflammatory pain. Journal of Neuroscience, 28 (38), 9486-9494. http://dx.doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.1857-08.2008 https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.1857-08.2008
- Messier, S. P., Loeser, R. F., & Mitchell, M. N. (2000). Exercise and weight loss in obese older adults with knee osteoarthritis: A preliminary study. Journal of American Geriatric Society, 48, 1062-1072. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2000.tb04781.x
- Moher, D., Liberati, A., Tetzlaff, J., Altman, D. G., & the PRISMA Group. (2009). Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: The PRISMA statement. Annals of Internal Medicine, 151, 264. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-151-4-200908180-00135
- Negm, A., Lorbergs, A., & Macintyre, N. J. (2013). Efficacy of low frequency pulsed subsensory threshold electrical stimulation vs placebo on pain and physical function in people with knee osteoarthritis: Systematic review with meta-analysis. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, 21 (9), 1281-1289. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2013.06.015 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2013.06.015
- Orwin, R. (1983). A fail-safe N for effect size in meta-analysis. Journal of Educational Statistics, 8 (2), 157-159.
- Park, S. Y., Son, J. T., Park, S. H., Lee, K. H., & Kim, J. S. (2004). Effects of self help program for pain, ADL, exercise self-efficacy and knowledge about arthritis in patients with osteoarthritis. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 11 (1), 31-41.
- Rosenthal, R. (1991). Meta-analytic procedures for social research. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage.
- So, A. Y., Lee, K. S., Choi, J. S., & Lee, E. H. (2010). The effects of a tai chi exercise program for patients with arthritis in rural areas. Journal of Korean Acad Community Health Nursing, 1 (21), 118-127. http://dx.doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2010.21.1.118 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2010.21.1.118
- Statistics Korea. (2012). Statistics of the elderly. Seoul: Social Statistics Planning Division.
- Effects of the New Version of the Arthritis Self-management Program in Patients with Osteoarthritis vol.22, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2015.22.2.105
- The Effects of Exercise Intervention for Fall Prevention in Persons with Arthritis: A Meta Analysis vol.29, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2017.29.6.587
- Effect of Exercise Intervention on Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain in Older Adults: Meta-analysis vol.30, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2018.30.5.455