- Volume 27 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Genetic Parameters for Real-time Ultrasound Measurements for Hanwoo Cows at Different Ages and Pregnancy Status
- Lee, J.H. (Gyeongbuk Provincial College) ;
- Lee, Y.M. (School of Biotechnology Yeungnam University) ;
- Oh, S.H. (Department of Animal Sciences, North Carolina A&T State University) ;
- Son, H.J. (Gyeongbuk Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Jeong, D.J. (Gyeongbuk Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Whitley, Niki (Department of Animal Sciences, North Carolina A&T State University) ;
- Kim, J.J. (School of Biotechnology Yeungnam University)
- Received : 2013.07.17
- Accepted : 2013.11.01
- Published : 2014.02.01
The purpose of this study was to estimate genetic parameters of ultrasound measurements for longissimus dorsi muscle area (LMA), backfat thickness (BFT), and marbling score (MS) in Hanwoo cows (N = 3,062) at the ages between 18 and 42 months. Data were collected from 100 Hanwoo breeding farms in Gyeongbuk province, Korea, in 2007 and 2008. The cows were classified into four different age groups, i.e. 18 to 22 months (the first pregnancy period), 23 to 27 (the first parturition), 28 to 32 (the second pregnancy), and 33 to 42 (the second parturition), respectively. For each age group, a multi-trait animal model was used to estimate variance components and heritabilities of the three traits. The averages of LMA, BFT, and MS measurements across the cows of all age groups were 50.1
- BIF. 1996. Minutes of the Beef Improvement Federation Real-time Ultrasound Committee Meeting. April 2, 1996. St. Joseph, MO.
- Choy, Y. H., J. K. Son, H. S. Kong, H. K. Lee, and K. D. Park. 2011. Estimation of genetic parameters for economic traits of Hanwoo cows using ultrasound. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 53:505-509. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2011.53.6.505
- Crews Jr., D. H. and R. A. Kemp. 2002. Genetic evaluation of carcass yield using ultrasound measures on young replacement beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 80:1809-1818.
- Crews Jr., D. H., E. J. Pollak, and R. L. Quaas. 2004. Evaluation of Simmental carcass EPD estimated using live and carcass data. J. Anim. Sci. 82:661-667.
- Gilmour, A. R., B. R. Cullis, S. J. Welham, and R. Thompson. 1999. "NSW Agriculture Biometric Bulletin No. 3. ASREML Reference Manual". NSW Agriculture, Orange, NSW, Australia.
- Gotoh, T., E. Albrecht, F. Teuscher, K. Kawabata, K. Sakashita, H. Iwamoto, and J. Wegner. 2009. Differences in muscle and fat accretion in Japanese Black and European cattle. Meat Sci. 82:300-308. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.01.026
- Hassen, A., D. E. Wilson, G. H. Rouse, and R. G. Tait Jr. 2004. Partitioning variances of growth in ultrasound longissimus muscle area measures in Angus bulls and heifers. J. Anim. Sci. 82:1272-1279.
- Herring, W. O., L. A. Kriese, J. K. Bertrand, and J. Crouch. 1998. Comparison of four real-time ultrasound systems that predict intramuscular fat in beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 76:364-370.
- Houghton, P. L. and L. M. Turlington. 1992. Application of ultrasound for feeding and finishing animals: A review. J. Anim. Sci. 70:930-941.
- Howry, D. H. and W. R. Bliss. 1952. Ultrasonic visualization of soft tissue structures of the body. J. Lab. Clin. Med. 40:579-592.
- Koo, Y. M. 2007. Estimation of genetic correlation and parameter for ultrasound measurements and performance test data in Hanwoo cows (Korean cattle). Gyeongsang national university PhD paper.
- Ludwig, G. D. 1950. The velocity of sound through tissues and the acoustic impedants of tissues. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 22:862-866. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.1906706
- Moser, D. W., J. K. Bertrand, I. Misztal, L. A. Kriese, and L. L. Benyshek. 1998. Genetic parameter estimates for carcass and yearling ultrasound measurements in Brangus cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 76:2542-2548.
- Perkins, T. L., R. D. Green, and K. E. Hamlin. 1992. Evaluation of ultrasonic estimates of carcass fat thickness and longissimus muscle area in beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 70:1002-1010.
- Pinheiro, T. R., M. E. Z. Mercadante, L. G. Albuquerque, J. N. S. G. Cyrillo, and R. H. Branco. 2011. Phenotypic and genetic parameters compared during repeated measures of longissimus muscle area and subcutaneous fat thickness in Nelore cattle. Genet. Mol. Res. 10:2944-2952. https://doi.org/10.4238/2011.November.29.5
- Reverter, A., D. J. Johnston, H. U. Graser, M. L. Wolcott, and W. H. Upton. 2000. Genetic analyses of live-animal ultrasound and abattoir carcass traits in Australian Angus and Hereford cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 78:1786-1795.
- Roberts, A. J., S. I. Paisley, T. W. Geary, E. E. Grings, R. C. Waterman, and M. D. MacNeil. 2007. Effects of restricted feeding of beef heifers during the postweaning period on growth, efficiency, and ultrasound carcass characteristics. J. Anim. Sci. 85:2740-2745. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0141
- Roh, S. H., C. Y. Kim, Y. S. Won, C. J. Park, S. S. Lee, and J. G. Lee. 2010. Studies on genetic parameter estimation and sire selection to ultrasound measurement traits of Hanwoo. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 52:1-8. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.1.001
- Shepard, H. H., R. D. Green, B. L. Golden, K. E. Hamlin, T. L. Perkins, and J. B. Diles. 1996. Genetic parameter estimates of live animal ultrasonic measures of retail yield indicators in yearling breeding cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 74:761-768.
- Stelzleni, A. M., T. L. Perkins, A. H. Brown Jr., F. W. Pohlman, Z. B. Johnson, and B. A. Sandelin. 2002. Genetic parameter estimates of yearling live animal ultrasonic measurements in Brangus cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 80:3150-3153.
- Temple, R. S., H. H. Stonaker, D. Howry, G. Posakony, and M. H. Hazeleus. 1956. Ultrasonic and conductivity methods for estimating fat thickness in live cattle. Proc. West. Sect. Am. Soc. Him. Prod. 7:4TI.
- Waldner, D. N., M. E. Dikeman, R. R. Schalles, W. G. Olson, P. L. Houghton, J. A. Unruh, and L. R. Corah. 1992. Validation of real-time ultrasound technology for predicting fat thicknesses, longissimus muscle areas, and composition of Brangus bulls from 4 months to 2 years of age. J. Anim. Sci. 70:3044-3054.
- Yokoo, M. J., L. G. Albuquerque, R. B. Lobo, L. A. F. Bezerra, F. R. C. Araujo, J. A. V. Silva, and R. D. Sainz. 2008. Genetic and environmental factors affecting ultrasound measures of longissimus muscle area and backfat thickness in Nelore cattle. Livest. Sci. 117:147-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.12.006
- Yoon, W. J. 2010. Study on genetic improvement for meat quality of Hanwoo cows using ultrasonic measurements. Hankyong National University. PhD dissertation.
- Zhou, G. H., L. Liu, X. L. Xiu, H. M. Jian, L. Z. Wang, B. Z. Sun, and B. S. Tong. 2001. Productivity and carcass characteristics of pure and crossbred Chinese Yellow Cattle. Meat Sci. 58:359-362. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(00)00160-1