- Volume 46 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
INFLUENCE OF SIGNAL-TO-NOISE RATIO ON EDDY CURRENT SIGNALS OF CRACKS IN STEAM GENERATOR TUBES
- Hur, Do Haeng (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Choi, Myung Sik (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Shim, Hee-Sang (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Deok Hyun (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Yoo, One (KEPCO E&C)
- Received : 2014.05.09
- Accepted : 2014.08.15
- Published : 2014.12.25
This work presents the influence of noise originating from the tube itself on the detectability and sizing accuracy for laboratory-induced outer diameter axial cracks in nuclear steam generator tubes. The variations of signal amplitude and phase angle of the same cracks were analyzed when increasing the signal-to-noise ratio of the tube itself from 9 to 18. It was experimentally verified that the detectability for small cracks was enhanced by increasing the signal-to-noise ratio. The phase angle also rotated to a value representing the actual position and depth of a crack when increasing the signal-to-noise ratio.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- S. Bakhtiari, D.S. Kupperman and W.J. Shack, "Assessment of Noise Level for Eddy Current Inspection of Steam Generator Tubes" NUREG/CR-6982, USNRC, Argonne (2009).
- J. Garcia-Martin, J. Gomez-Gil and E. Vazquez-Sanchez, "Non-destructive techniques based on eddy current testing", Sensors, vol. 11, pp. 2525-2565 (2011). https://doi.org/10.3390/s110302525
- Z. Liu, K. Tsukada, K. Hanasaki, M. Kurisu, "Two-dimensional eddy current signal enhancement via multifrequency data fusion", Res. Nondestruct. Eval., vol. 11, pp. 165-177 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1080/09349849909410029
- L.A.N.M. Lopez, "Wavelet transform and fuzzy logic in the eddy-current inspection of nuclear power plants steam generator tubes", Ph.D. Thesis, IPEN, Sao Paulo (2003).
- S. Bakhtiari, and T.W. Elmer, "Data analysis algorithms for flaw sizing based on eddy current rotating probe examination of steam generator tubes", Proc. of the 6th CNS International Steam Generator Conference, Ontario (2009).
- R. Grimberg, "Electromagnetic nondestructive evaluation: present and future" Journal of Mechanical Engineering, vol. 57, pp. 204-217 (2011).
- H . Huang, N. Sakurai, T. Takagi, T. Uchimoto, "Design of an eddy-current array probe for crack sizing in steam generator tubes", NDT&E International, vol. 36, pp. 515-522 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-8695(03)00050-1
- O. Miyahara, K. Hirai, S. Nishiyama, "S/N improvement and proposal of S/N calculation method for PWR SG tubing", Proc. of the 31st EPRI Steam Generator NDE Workshop, New Hampshire (2012).
- A.R. McIlree, "Guidelines for PWR Steam Generator Tubing Specifications and Repair", Volume 2, Rev. 1, TR-016743-V2R1, Electric Power Research Institute, Palo Alto (1999).
- L.A.N.M. Lopez, D.K.S. Ting, B.R. Upadhyaya, "Removing material noise in eddy-current inspections of steam generators tubes using wavelet transform", Proc. of the 18th International Congress of Mechanical Engineering, Ouro Preto, Brazil (2005).
- S. Brown, "MAPOD-R a tool for predicting eddy-current system detection probability" Proc. of the 31st EPRI Steam Generator NDE Workshop, New Hampshire (2012).
- E. Fuller, "Steam generator integrity assessment guidelines", Rev.2, Report No. 1012987, Electric Power Research Institute, Palo Alto (2006).
- H.M. Feldman, "Steam generator life management roadmap", Proc. of SGMP KHNP/EPRI Workshop, Daejeon, Korea (2011).
- R.S. Maurer, "Manufacturing specifications for ECT of AP-1000 steam generator tubing", Proc. of the 26th EPRI Steam Generator NDE Workshop, Montana (2007).
- Rényi Entropy Filter for Anomaly Detection With Eddy Current Remote Field Sensors vol.15, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/JSEN.2015.2450236
- Defect localization and characterization in eddy current nondestructive testing by change detection and global optimization vol.37, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1108/COMPEL-05-2017-0201