- Volume 7 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Different macroscopic models for slender and squat reinforced concrete walls subjected to cyclic loads
- Shin, Jiuk (School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology) ;
- Kim, JunHee (Department of Architectural Engineering, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2014.03.27
- Accepted : 2014.08.30
- Published : 2014.11.25
The purpose of this study is to present adequate modeling solutions for squat and slender RC walls. ASCE41-13 (American Society of Civil Engineers) specifies that the aspect ratios of height to width for the RC walls affect the hysteresis response. Thus, this study performed non-linear analysis subjected to cyclic loading using two different macroscopic models: one of macroscopic models represents flexural failure of RC walls (Shear Wall Element model) and the other (General Wall Element model) reflects diagonal shear failure occurring in the web of RC walls. These analytical results were compared to previous experimental studies for a slender wall (> aspect ratio of 3.0) and a squat wall (= aspect ratio of 1.0). For the slender wall, the difference between the two macroscopic models was negligible, but the squat wall was significantly affected by parameters for shear behavior in the modeling method. For accurate performance evaluation of RC buildings with squat walls, it would be reasonable to use macroscopic models that give consideration to diagonal shear.
macroscopic model;nonlinear analysis;reinforced concrete (RC) wall;aspect ratio
Supported by : Yonsei University
- ACI Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary (2008), ACI 318-08, American Concrete Institute, Detroit, Mich.
- AIK-Architectural Institute of Korea (2009), Korea Building Code - KBC 2009.
- ASCE (2014), Seismic Evaluation and Retrofit of Existing Buildings, ASCE/SEI 41-13, American Society of Civil Engineers.
- CEN Technical Committee 250/SC8 (1995), "Eurocode 8: Earthquake Resistant Design of Structures - Part 1: General Rules (ENV 1998 1-1, 1-2 and 1-3)", CEN, Brussels.
- Computer and Structures Inc. (2006), Nonlinear Analysis and Performance Assessment for 3D Structures, Berkeley, CA.
- Eom, T.S. and Park, H.G. (2004), "Energy-based hysteretic models for R/C members", J. Earthq. Eng. Society Korea, 8(5), 45-54. https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2004.8.5.045
- Gulec, C.K. and Whittaker, A.S. (2009), Performance-Based Assessment and Design of Squat Reinforced Concrete Shear Walls, Technical Report No. MCEER-09-0010, MCEER, University at Buffalo, State University of New York.
- Kabeyasawa, T., Otani, S. and Aoyama, H. (1983), "Nonlinear earthquake response analysis of RC wall frame structure", Trans. Japan Conc. Institute.
- Kim, J.H., Ghaboussi J. and Elnashai A.S. (2010), "Mechanical and informational modeling of steel beam-to-column connections", Eng. Struct. 32(2), 449-458. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.10.007
- Kim, J.H., Ghaboussi J. and Elnashai A.S. (2012), "Hysteretic mechanical-informational modeling of bolted steel frame connections", Eng. Struct. 45, 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.06.014
- Mander, J.B., Priestley, M.J.N. and Park, R. (1988), "Theoretical stress-strain model for confined concrete", J. Struct. Eng. ASCE, 114(8), 1804-1826. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1988)114:8(1804)
- Kim, T.W., Foutch, D.A., LaFave, J.M. and Wilcoski, J. (2004), "Performance assessment of reinforced concrete structural walls for seismic loads", Structural Research Series - No. 634, Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Kim, M.S., Yun S.H., Lee Y.H. and Kim H.C. (2009), "Analysis of lateral retrofitting effect by FRP and BRB for beam-column element joint of low-rise piloti buildings", J. Earthq. Eng. Society Korea, 13(2), 69-77. https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2009.13.2.069
- Linde, P. (1993), Numerical Modeling and Capacity Design of Earthquake-Resistant Reinforced Concrete Walls, Report No. 200, Institute of Structural Engineering, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zurich, Birkhauser, Basel.
- Milev, J. (1996), "Two-dimensional analytical model of reinforced concrete shear walls", Proceeding of 11th World Conference Earthquake Engineering, Paper No. 320.
- Orakcal, K., Massone, L.M. and Wallace, W.J. (2006), "Analytical modeling of reinforced concrete walls for predicting flexural and coupled-shear-flexural response", Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center, University of California, Los Angeles.
- Park, H.G. and Eom, T.S. (2007), "Truss model for nonlinear analysis of RC members subjected to cyclic loading", J. Struct. Eng., 133(10), 1351-1363. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2007)133:10(1351)
- Salonikios, T.N., Kappos, A.J., Tegos, I.A. and Penelis, G.G. (1999), "Cyclic load behavior of low-slenderness reinforce concrete walls: design basis and test results", ACI Struct. J., 96(4), 649-660.
- Salonikios, T.N., Kappos, A.J., Tegos, I.A. and Penelis, G.G. (2000), "Cyclic load behavior of low-slenderness reinforce concrete walls: Failure modes, strength analysis, and design implications", ACI Struct. J., 97(1), 132-141.
- Shin, J., Kim, J. and Lee, K. (2014), "Seismic assessment of damaged piloti-type RC building subjected to successive earthquakes", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D.: doi: 10.1002/eqe.2412. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2412
- Sullivan, T.J. (2010), "Capacity design considerations for RC frame-wall structures", Earthq. Struct., 1(4), 391-410. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2010.1.4.391
- Takabatake, H. (2010), "Two-dimensional rod theory for approximate analysis of building structures", Earthq. Struct., 1(1), 1-19. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2010.1.1.001
- Thomsen, J.H. and Wallace, J.W. (2004), "Displacement-based design of sSlender reinforced concrete structural walls - experimental verification", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 130(4), 618-630. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:4(618)
- Tiong, P.L.Y., Adnan, A. and Hamid, N.H.A. (2013), "Behaviour factor and displacement estimation of low-ductility precast wall system under seismic actions", Earthq. Struct., 5(6), 625-655. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.5.6.625
- Vulcano, A. and Bertero, V.V. (1987), Analytical Models for Predicting the Lateral Response of RC Shear Walls: Evaluation of Their Reliability, Report No. UCB/EERC-87/19, EERC, University of California, Berkeley, California.