- Volume 7 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Seismic behavior evaluation of exterior beam-column joints with headed or hooked bars using nonlinear finite element analysis
- Rajagopal, S. (Department of Civil Engineering, Mepco Schlenk Engineering College) ;
- Prabavathy, S. (Department of Civil Engineering, Mepco Schlenk Engineering College) ;
- Kang, Thomas H.K. (Department of Architecture and Architectural Engineering, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2013.11.03
- Accepted : 2014.03.08
- Published : 2014.11.25
This paper studies the response of seismic behavior of reinforced concrete exterior beam-column joints under reversal loading with different anchorages and joint core details. The joint core was detailed without much confinement (group-I) and/or with proposed X-cross bars in the core (group-II). The beam longitudinal reinforcement's anchorages were designed as per ACI 352 (headed bars), ACI 318 (conventional
reinforced concrete;exterior beam-column joint;headed bars;hooked bars;nonlinear finite element analysis;crack
- ACI 318 (2011), Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, Michigan.
- ACI 352 (2002), Recommendations for Design of Beam-Column Connections in Monolithic Reinforced Concrete Structures, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, Michigan.
- Al-Taan, S.A. and Ezzadeen, N.A. (1995), "Flexural analysis of reinforced fibrous concrete members using the FE method", Comput. Struct., 56(6), 1065- 1072. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(95)93124-8
- ANSYS (2009), ANSYS Structural Analysis Guide, Canonsburg, Pennsylvania.
- Ayoub, A. (2006), "Nonlinear analysis of reinforced concrete beam-columns with bond-slip", ASCE J. Eng. Mech., 132(11), 1177-1186. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2006)132:11(1177)
- Baglin, P.S. and Scott, R.H. (2000), "Finite element modeling of reinforced concrete beam-column connection", ACI Struct. J., 97(6), 886-894.
- Dahmani, L., Khennane, S. and Kaci, S. (2010), "Crack identification in reinforced concrete beams using ANSYS", Strength Mater., 42(2), 232-240. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11223-010-9212-6
- Bindhu, K.R., Jaya, K.P. and Manicka Selvam, V.K. (2008), "Seismic resistance of exterior beam-column joints non-conventional reinforcement detailing", Struct. Eng. Mech., 30(6), 733-761. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2008.30.6.733
- Bindhu, K.R. and Jaya, K.P. (2010), "Strength and behaviour of exterior beam-column joints with diagonal cross bracing bars", Asian J. Civil Eng. (Building & Housing), 11(3), 397-410.
- Chun, S.C., Lee, S.H., Kang, T.H.-K., Oh, B. and Wallace, J.W. (2007), "Mechanical anchorage in exterior beam-column joints subjected to cyclic loading", ACI Struct. J., 104(1), 102-113.
- Hegger, J., Sherif, A. and Roeser, W. (2004), "Nonlinear finite element analysis of reinforced concrete beam-column connections", ACI Struct. J., 101(5), 604-614.
- Ibrahim Ary, M. and Kang, T.H.-K. (2012), "Shear-strengthening of reinforced & prestressed concrete beams using FRP: part I - review of previous research," Int. J. Conc. Struct. Mater., 6(1), 41-47. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40069-012-0004-1
- IS 456 (2000), Plain and Reinforced Concrete - Code of Practice, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India.
- IS 1893 (2002), Criteria for Earthquake Resistant Design of Structures - Part 1 : General Provisions and Buildings, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India.
- Kachlakev, D.I., Miller, T., Yim, S., Chansawat, K. and Potisuk, T. (2001), Finite Element Modeling of Reinforced Concrete Structures Strengthened With FRP Laminates, Research Report, Oregon Department of Transportation, Oregon.
- Kang, T.H.K., Ha, S.S. and Choi, D.U. (2010), "Bar pullout tests and seismic tests of small-headed bars in beam-column joints", ACI Struct. J., 107(1), 32-42.
- Kang, T.H.-K., Howell, J., Kim, S. and Lee, D.J. (2012), "A state-of-the-art review on debonding failures of FRP laminates externally adhered to concrete," Int. J. Conc. Struct. Mater., 6(2), 123-134. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40069-012-0012-1
- Kang, T.H.-K. and Mitra, N. (2012), "Prediction of performance of exterior beam-column connections with headed bars subject to load reversal", Eng. Struct., 41, 209-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.03.036
- Kang, T.H.-K., Shin, M., Mitra, N. and Bonacci, J.F. (2009), "Seismic design of reinforced concrete beam-column joints with headed bars", ACI Struct. J., 106(6), 868-877.
- Park, S. and Mosalam, K.M. (2012), "Analytical model for predicting shear strength of unreinforced exterior beam-column joints", ACI Struct. J., 109(2), 149-160.
- Kwak, H.G. and Filippou, F.C. (1997), "Nonlinear FE analysis of RC structures under monotonic loads", Comput. Struct., 65(1), 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(96)00299-4
- Lam, K. M., Kim, W., Van Zandt, M. and Kang, T.H.-K. (2011), "An experimental study of reinforced concrete beams with closely-spaced headed bars", Int. J. Conc. Struct. Mater., 5(2), 77-85. https://doi.org/10.4334/IJCSM.2011.5.2.77
- Li, B. and Kulkarni, S. (2010), "Seismic behavior of reinforced concrete exterior wide beam-column joints", ASCE J. Struct. Eng., 136(1), 26-36. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2010)136:1(26)
- Rajagopal, S. and Prabavathy, S. (2013), "Study of exterior beam-column joint with different joint core and anchorage details under reversal loading", Struct. Eng. Mech. in-press.
- Raongjant, W. and Jaig, M. (2008), "Finite element analysis on lightweight reinforced concrete shear wall with different web reinforcement", Proceedings of the 6th Prince of Songkla University Engineering Conference, Songkhla, India, May.
- Shrestha, R., Smith, S.T. and Samali, B. (2013), "Finite element modeling of FRP-strengthened RC beam-column connections with ANSYS", Comput. Concr., 11(1), 1-20. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2013.11.1.001
- Tavarez, F.A. (2001), "Simulation of behavior of composite grid reinforced concrete beams using explicit finite element methods", M.S. thesis, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wisconsin.
- Willam, K.J. and Warnke, E.P. (1974), "Constitutive model for triaxial behaviour of concrete, Seminar on concrete structures subjected to triaxial stresses", Proceedings of International IABSE Conference on Concrete Structures Subject to Tri-Axial Stresses, Bergamo, Italy.
- Wolanski, J.A. (2004), "Flexural behavior of reinforced and prestressed concrete beam using finite element analysis", M.S. thesis, Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Xilin, L., Tonny, H.U., Sen, L. and Fangshu, L. (2012), "Seismic behavior of interior RC beam-column joints with additional bars under cyclic loading", Earthq. Struct., 3(1), 37-57. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2012.3.1.037
- Xing, G.H., Wu, T., Niu, D.T. and Liu, X. (2013), "Seismic behavior of reinforced concrete interior beam-column joints with beams of different depths", Earthq. Struct., 4(4), 429-449. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.4.4.429