- Volume 7 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Nonlinear modeling parameters of RC coupling beams in a coupled wall system
- Gwon, Seongwoo (School of Urban and Environmental Engineering, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST)) ;
- Shin, Myoungsu (School of Urban and Environmental Engineering, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST)) ;
- Pimentel, Benjamin (Rosenwasser Grossman Consulting Engineers) ;
- Lee, Deokjung (Interdisciplinary School of Green Energy, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST))
- Received : 2014.06.07
- Accepted : 2014.09.27
- Published : 2014.11.25
ASCE/SEI 41-13 provides modeling parameters and numerical acceptance criteria for various types of members that are useful for evaluating the seismic performance of reinforced concrete (RC) building structures. To accurately evaluate the global performance of a coupled wall system, it is crucial to first properly define the component behaviors (i.e., force-displacement relationships of shear walls and coupling beams). However, only a few studies have investigated on the modeling of RC coupling beams subjected to earthquake loading to date. The main objective of this study is to assess the reliability of ASCE 41-13 modeling parameters specified for RC coupling beams with various design details, based on a database compiling almost all coupling beam tests available worldwide. Several recently developed coupling beam models are also reviewed. Finally, a rational method is proposed for determining the chord yield rotation of RC coupling beams.
ASCE/SEI 41-13;modeling parameters;coupling beam;chord yield rotation
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Tassios, T.P., Moretti, M. and Bezas, A. (1996), "On the behavior and ductility of reinforced concrete coupling beams of shear walls", ACI Struct. J., 93(6), 711-720.
- Cowper, G.R. (1966), "The shear coefficient in Timoshenko's beam theory", J. Appl.Mech., 33(2), 335-340. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3625046
- Paulay, T. and Priestley, M.J.N. (1992), Seismic design of reinforced concrete and masonry structures. John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA.
- Technical Committee CEN/TC 250 (2004), Eurocode 8: Design of structures for earthquake resistance - Part 1: General rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings. European Committee for Standardization, Brussels, Belgium.
- Canadian Standards Association (2010), CAN/CSA A23.3-04: Design of concrete structures. Canadian Standards Association, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.
- New Zealand Standards Council (2006), NZS 3101-1: Concrete structures standard - The design of concrete structures. Standards New Zealand, Wellington, New Zealand.
- Paulay, T. (1971), "Coupling beams of reinforced concrete shear walls", J. Struct. Div., 97(3), 843-862.
- Galano, L. and Vignoli, A. (2000), "Seismic behavior of short coupling beams with different reinforcement layouts", ACI Struct. J., 97(6), 876-885.
- Yun, H.D., Kim, S.W., Jeon, E., Park, W.S. and Lee, Y.T. (2008), "Effects of fibre-reinforced cement composites' ductility on the seismic performance of short coupling beams", Mag. Concrete Res., 60(3), 223-233. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.2007.00081
- ASCE (2010), Minimum design loads for building and other structures (ASCE/SEI 7-10). American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston, VA, USA.
- ASCE (2013), Seismic rehabilitation of existing buildings (ASCE/SEI 41-13), American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston, VA, USA.
- ACI Committee 318 (2011), Building code requirements for structural concrete (318-11) and commentary (318R-11), American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI, USA.
- ICC (2012), International building code, International Code Council, Washington, DC, USA.
- ACI Committee 369 (2011), Guide for seismic rehabilitation of existing concrete frame buildings and commentary (ACI 369R-11), American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI, USA.
- Ihtiyar, O. and Brena, S.F. (2006), Force-deformation response of conventionally reinforced coupling beams: evaluation of FEMA 356 and FEMA 306. 8th National Conference on Earthquake Engineering.
- Bristowe, S. (2006), Seismic response of normal and high strength concrete members, PhD Thesis, McGill University, Montreal, Canada.
- Ihtiyar, O. and Brena, S.F. (2007), Assessment of FEMA 356 techniques for orthogonally reinforced coupling beams through experimental testing. ASCE Structures Congress: Structural Engineering Research Frontiers.
- Brena, S.F., Fernández Ruiz, M., Kostic, N. and Muttoni, A. (2009), Modelling techniques to capture the backbone envelope behaviour of coupling beams subjected to seismic loading. Studi e ricerche, Starrylink, 29 (EPFL-ARTICLE-143412).
- Barney, G.B. (1980), Behavior of coupling beams under load reversals. Portland Cement Association, Skokie, IL, USA.
- Hong, S.G. and Jang, S.K. (2006), "The mechanism of load resistance and deformability of reinforced concrete coupling beams", J. Earthq. Eng.Soc. Korea, 10(3), 113-123. https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2006.10.3.113
- Paulay, T. and Binney, J.R. (1974), Diagonally reinforced coupling beams of shear walls. Shear in reinforced concrete, SP-42, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI, USA, 579-598.
- Lequesne, R., Setkit, M., Parra-Montesinos, G.J. and Wight, J.K. (2010), Seismic detailing and behavior of coupling beams with high-performance fiber-reinforced concrete. SP-271, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI, USA, 189-204.
- Canbolat, B.A., Parra-Montesinos, G.J. and Wight, J.K. (2005), "Experimental study on seismic behavior of high-performance fiber-reinforced cement composite coupling beams", ACI Struct. J., 102(1), 159-166.
- Shimazaki, K. (2004), De-bonded diagonally reinforced beam for good repairability. 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Paper No. 3173.
- Hindi, R. and Hassan, M. (2007), "Simplified trilinear behavior of diagonally reinforced coupling beams", ACI Struct. J., 104(2), 199-206.
- Mander, J.B., Priestley, M. J. and Park, R. (1988), "Theoretical stress-strain model for confined concrete", J. Struct. Eng., 114(8), 1804-1826. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1988)114:8(1804)
- Shin, M., Gwon, S.W., Lee, K., Han, S.W. and Jo, Y.W. (2014), "Effectiveness of high performance fiber-reinforced cement composites in slender coupling beams", Construct. Build. Mater., 68, 476-490. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.06.089
- Wallace, J.W. (2007), "Modelling issues for tall reinforced concrete core wall buildings", Struct. Des. Tall Special Build., 16(5), 615-632. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.440
- FEMA (2000), Prestandard and commentary for the seismic rehabilitation of buildings (FEMA 356), Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington, DC, USA.
- Naish, D., Fry, A., Klemencic, R. and Wallace, J. (2013), "Reinforced concrete coupling beams-part II: modeling", ACI Struct. J., 110(06), 1067-1075.
- Wallace, J.W. (2012), "Behavior, design, and modeling of structural walls and coupling beams - lessons from recent laboratory tests and earthquakes. International Journal of concrete structures and materials", 6(1), 3-18. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40069-012-0001-4
- Kim, I.H., Sun, C.H. and Shin, M. (2012), "Concrete contribution to initial shear strength of RC hollow bridge columns", Struct. Eng. Mech., 41(1), 43-65. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2012.41.1.043
- Investigation on the Structural Behavior of Shear Walls with Steel Truss Coupling Beams under Seismic Loading vol.2018, pp.1687-8442, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/5602348