- Volume 7 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Cyclic loading tests for precast concrete cantilever walls with C-type connections
- Lim, Woo-Young (Department of Architecture and Architectural Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Hong, Sung-Gul (Department of Architecture and Architectural Engineering, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2014.08.28
- Accepted : 2014.10.04
- Published : 2014.11.25
This study investigates the behavior of precast concrete cantilever wall systems with new vertical connections under cyclic loading. C-type steel connections for PC wall systems are proposed for the transfer of bending moments between walls in the vertical direction, whereas a shear key in the center of the wall is prepared to transfer shear forces by bearing pressure. The proposed connections are assembled easily because the directions of the slots are different at the edges of the walls. Structural performance characteristics such as the strength, ductility, and failure modes of test specimens were investigated. The longitudinal reinforcing steel bars, which are connected to the C-type connections, yielded first. Ultimate deformation was terminated owing to premature failure of the connections. The strength and deformation obtained from the cross-sectional analysis were generally similar to experimental data.
precast concrete wall;C-type connections;failure mode;strength;deformation
Supported by : Ministry of Construction and Transportation of Korea
- Rahman, A.M. and Restrepo, J.I. (2000), Earthquake Resistant Precast Concrete Buildings : Seismic Performance of Cantilever Walls Prestressd Using Unbonded Tendons, Civil Engineering Research Report No. 2000-5, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand.
- Holden, T.J. (2001), A Comparison of the Seismic Performance of Precast Wall Construction : Emulation an Hybrid Approaches, Civil Engineering Research Report No. 2001-4, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand.
- Perez, F.J., Pessiki, S., Sause, R. and Lu, L.W. (2003), "Lateral load tests of unbonded post-tensioned precast concrete walls", Large Scale-Scale Structural Testing, Edited by Ma. A. Issa, Y.L. Mo, America Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, Michigan, 161-183.
- Perez, F.J., Sause, R. and Pessiki, S. (2007), "Analytical and Experimental Lateral Load Behavior of Unbonded Posttensioned Precast Concrete Walls", J. Struct. Eng., 133(11), 1531-540. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2007)133:11(1531)
- Soudki, K.A., Rizkalla, S.H. and LeBlanc, B. (1995a), "Horizontal Connections for Precast Concrete Shear Walls subjected to Cyclic Deformations. Part 1: Mild steel connections", PCI J., 40(4), 78-97. https://doi.org/10.15554/pcij.07011995.78.96
- Soudki, K.A., Rizkalla, S.H. and LeBlanc, B. (1995b), "Horizontal Connections for Precast Concrete Shear Walls subjected to Cyclic Deformations. Part 2: Prestressed connections", PCI J., 40(5), 82-96.
- Silvestri, S., Gasparini, G. and Trombetti, T. (2011), "Seismic design of a precast R.C. structure equipped with viscous dampers", Earthq. Struct., 2(3), 297-321. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2011.2.3.297
- CEB-FIP fib (2003), "Seismic design of precast concrete building structures: State-of-art report", Task Group 7.3 Federation internationale du beton, 254.
- ACI 318-08 (2008), Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary, ACI Committee 318, American Concrete Institute, 473.
- Park, H.G. and Eom, T.S. (2006), "A simplified method for estimating the amount of energy dissipated by flexure-dominated reinforced concrete members for moderate cyclic deformations", Earthq. Spectra, 22(3), 1351-1363.
- ASTM (2001), "Standard test method for compressive strength of cylindrical concrete specimens", C39/C39M-01, West Conshohocken, PA.
- Sittipunt, C., Wood, S.L., Lukkunaprasit, P. and Pattararattanakul, P. (2001) "Cyclic behavior of reinforced concrete structural walls with diagonal web reinforcement", ACI Struct. J., 98(4), 554-562.
- Shaingchin, S., Lukkunaprasit, P. and Wood, S.L. (2007), "Influence of diagonal web reinforcement on cyclic behaivor of structural walls", Eng. Struct., 29(4), 498-510. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.05.016
- Eom, T.S. and Park, H.G. (2010), "Evaluation of energy dissipation of slender reinforced concrete members and Its applications", Eng. Struct., 32(9), 2884-2893. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.05.007
- Panneton, M., Leger, P. and Tremblay, R. (2006), "Inelastic analysis of a reinforced concrete shear wall building according to the national building code of canada 2005", Can. J.Civil Eng., 854-871.
- Farrar, C.R. and Baker, W.E. (1990), "Stiffness and hysteretic energy loss of a reinforced-concrete shear wall", Experim. Mech., 30(1), 95-100. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02322709
- Experimental assessment of seismic vulnerability of precast concrete beam-to-beam connections with steel slit damper vol.17, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-017-9030-9