- Volume 7 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Unified equivalent frame method for flat plate slab structures under combined gravity and lateral loads - Part 2: verification
- Choi, Seung-Ho (Department of Architectural Engineering, University of Seoul) ;
- Lee, Deuck Hang (Department of Architectural Engineering, University of Seoul) ;
- Oh, Jae-Yuel (Department of Architectural Engineering, University of Seoul) ;
- Kim, Kang Su (Department of Architectural Engineering, University of Seoul) ;
- Lee, Jae-Yeon (Division of Architecture, Mokwon University) ;
- Shin, Myoungsu (School of Urban and Environmental Engineering, UNIST)
- Received : 2014.03.05
- Accepted : 2014.05.06
- Published : 2014.11.25
In the previous paper, authors proposed the unified equivalent frame method (UEFM) for the lateral behavior analysis of the flat plate structure subjected to the combined gravity and lateral loads, in which the rotations of torsional members were distributed to the equivalent column and the equivalent slab according to the relative ratio of gravity and lateral loads. In this paper, the lateral behavior of the multi-span flat plate structures under various levels of combined gravity and lateral loads were analyzed by the proposed UEFM, which were compared with test results as well as those estimated by existing models. In addition, to consider the stiffness degradation of the flat plate system after cracking, the stiffness reduction factors for torsional members were derived from the test results of the interior and exterior slab-column connection specimens, based on which the simplified nonlinear push-over analysis method for flat plate structures was proposed. The simplified nonlinear analysis method provided good agreements with test results and is considered to be very useful for the practical design of the flat plate structures under the combined gravity and lateral loads.
flat plate;lateral load;gravity load;equivalent frame method;torsion;stiffness degradation, push-over analysis
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- ACI Committee 318 (2011), Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary (ACI 318M-11), American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, 503.
- Banchik, C.A. (1987), "Effective beam width coefficients for equivalent frame analysis of flat-plate Structures", ME Thesis, University of California, Berkley, CA.
- Cano, M.T. and Kilngner, R.E. (1987), "Comparison of analysis procedures for tow-way slabs", ACI Struct. J., 85(6), 597-608.
- Carvalho, G., Bento, R. and Bhatt, C. (2013), "Nonlinear static and dynamic analyses of reinforced concrete buildings - comparison of different modelling approaches", Earthq. Struct., 4(5), 451-470 https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.4.5.451
- Carr, A.J. (2005), RUAUMOKO-Inelastic Dynamic Analysis Program, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand.
- Choi, K.K. and Park, H.G. (2003), "Moment-Rotation Relationship and Effective Stiffness of Flat Plates under Lateral Load", J. Korean Concrete Inst., 15(6), 856-865. https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2003.15.6.856
- Coronelli, D. and Corti, G. (2014), "Nonlinear static analysis of flat slab floors with grid model (with Appendix)", ACI Struct. J., 111(2), 343-352.
- Corely, W.G., Sozen, M.A. and Siess, C.P. (1961), "The equivalent frame analysis for reinforced concrete slabs", Structural Research Series No. 218, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL.
- Corley, W.G. and Jirsa, J.O. (1970), "Equivalent frame analysis for slab design", ACI J., Proc., 67(11), 875-884.
- Coronelli, D. (2010), "Grid model for flat-slab structures", ACI Struct. J., 107(6), 645-653.
- Du, Y. (1993), "Seismic resistance of slab-column connection in existing non-ductile flat-plate buildings", PhD. thesis, Rice University, Houston, TX.
- Elnashai, A.S., Papanikolaou, V. and Lee, D. (2010), Zeus-NL - A System for Inelastic Analysis of Structures - User Manual, Mid-America Earthquake Center, Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL.
- Ghobarah, A. (2001), "Performance-based design in earthquake engineering: State development", Eng. Struct., 23(8), 878-884. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(01)00036-0
- Grossman, J.S. (1997), "Verification of proposed design methodologies for effective width of slabs in slab-column frames", ACI Struct. J., 94(2), 181-196.
- Han, S.W., Park, Y.M. and Kee, S.H. (2009), "Stiffness reduction factor for flat slab structures under lateral loads", J. Struct. Eng. - ASCE, 135(6), 743-750. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000001
- Hwang, S.J. and Moehle, J.P. (1993). "An experimental study of flat-plate structures under vertical and lateral loads", University of California, Berkeley, CA.
- Hwang, S.J. and Moehle, J.P. (2000), "Models for laterally loaded slab-column frames", ACI Struct. J., 97(2), 345-352.
- Karimiyan, S., Moghadam, A.S. and Vetr, M.G. (2013), "Seismic progressive collapse assessment of 3-story RC moment resisting buildings with different levels of eEccentricity in plan", Earthq. Struct., 5(3), 277-296 https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.5.3.277
- Kim, K.S., Choi, S.H., Ju, H.J., Lee, D.H., Lee, J.Y. and Shin, M.S. (2014), "Unified equivalent frame method for flat plate slab structures under combined gravity and lateral loads - Part 1: derivation", 7(5). https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.5.719
- McKenna, F., Fenves, G.L., Scott, M.H. (2000), Open System for Earthquake Engineering Simulation, University of California, Berkeley, CA, Available from: http://opensees.berkeley.edu.
- Lee, S.J., Lee, D.H., Kim, K.S., Oh, J.Y., Park, M.K. and Yang, I.S. (2013), "Seismic performances of RC columns reinforced with screw ribbed reinforcements connected by mechanical splice", Comput. Concrete., 12(2), 131-149. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2013.12.2.131
- Luo, Y.H. and Durrani, A.J. (1995a), "Equivalent beam model for flat slab buildings - part I: Interior connection", ACI Struct. J., 92(1), 115-124.
- Luo, Y.H. and Durrani, A.J. (1995b), "Equivalent beam model for flat slab buildings - Part II: Exterior connection", ACI Struct. J., 92(2), 250-257.
- Moehle, J.P. and Diebold, J.W. (1985), "Lateral load response of flat-plate frame", J. Struct. Eng. - ASCE, 111(10), 2149-2164. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1985)111:10(2149)
- Murray, K.A., Cleland, D.J., Gilbert, S.G. and Scott, R.H. (2003), "Improved Equivalent Frame Method for Flat Plate Structures in Vicinity of Edge Column", ACI Struct. J., 100(4), 454-464.
- Pan, A. and Moehle, J.P. (1988), "Reinforced Concrete Flat Plates under Lateral Load: An Experimental Study Including Biaxial Effects", Report No. UCB/EERC-88/16, Earthquake Engineering Research Center, University of California, Berkeley, CA.
- Park, Y.M., Han, S.W. and Kee, S.H. (2009), "A modified equivalent frame method for lateral load analysis", Mag. Concrete Res., 61(5), 359-370. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.2008.00081
- Prakash, V., Powell, G.H. and Campbell, S. (1993), DRAIN-2DX Base Program Description and User Guide: Version 1.10. SEMM Report No. 93/17, University of California at Berkeley, CA.
- Robertson, I.N. (1990), "Seismic response of connections in indeterminate flat-slab subassemblies", Ph.D. thesis, Department of Civil Engineering, Rice University, Houston, TX.
- Robertson, I.N. (1997), "Analysis of flat slab structures subjected to combined lateral and Gravity Loads", ACI Struct. J., 94(6), 723-729
- Robertson, I.N., Kawai, T., Lee, J. and Enomoto, B. (2002), "Cyclic testing of slab-column connections with shear reinforcement", ACI Struct. J., 99(5), 605-613.
- Robertson, I.N. and Johnson, G. (2006), "Cyclic lateral loading of non-ductile slab-column connections", ACI Struct. J., 103(3), 356-364.
- Schwaighofer, J. and Collins, M.P. (1977), "Experimental study of the behavior of reinforced concrete coupling slabs", ACI J., Proc., 74(3), 123-127.
- Vanderbilt, M.D. (1981), The Equivalent Frame Analysis for Reinforced Concrete Slabs, Structural Research Series No. 36, Civil Engineering Department, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO.
- Vanderbilt, M.D. and Corley, W.G. (1983), "Frame analysis for concrete buildings", Concrete Int.: Des. Construct., 5(12), 33-43.
- Evaluation of Ductility of RC Structures Constructed with Bubble Deck System 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40999-017-0158-y