- Volume 7 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Unified equivalent frame method for flat plate slab structures under combined gravity and lateral loads - Part 1: derivation
- Kim, Kang Su (Department of Architectural Engineering, University of Seoul) ;
- Choi, Seung-Ho (Department of Architectural Engineering, University of Seoul) ;
- Ju, Hyunjin (Department of Architectural Engineering, University of Seoul) ;
- Lee, Deuck Hang (Department of Architectural Engineering, University of Seoul) ;
- Lee, Jae-Yeon (Division of Architecture, Mokwon University) ;
- Shin, Myoungsu (School of Urban and Environmental Engineering, UNIST)
- 투고 : 2013.10.11
- 심사 : 2014.10.08
- 발행 : 2014.11.25
The equivalent frame method (EFM) is widely used for the design of two-way reinforced concrete slab structures, and current design codes of practice permit the application of the EFM in analyzing the flat plate slab structures under gravity and lateral loads. The EFM was, however, originally developed for the flat plate structures subjected to gravity load, which is not suitable for lateral loading case. Therefore, this study, the first part of series research paper, proposed the structural analysis method for the flat plate slab structures under the combined gravity and lateral loads, which is named as the unified equivalent frame method (UEFM). In the proposed method, some portion of rotation induced in the torsional member is distributed to the flexibility of the equivalent columns, and the remaining portion is contributed to that of the equivalent slabs. In the consecutive companion paper, the proposed UEFM is verified by comparing with test results of multi-span flat plate structures. Also, a simplified nonlinear push-over analysis method is proposed, and verified by comparing to test results.
flat plate;slab;lateral load;gravity load;combined load;equivalent frame method;torsion
연구 과제 주관 기관 : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- ACI Committee 318 (2011), "Building code requirements for structural concrete and commentary (ACI 318M-11)", American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, 503.
- Alami, B. (1972), "Moment-rotation relation between column and slab", ACI J., Proc., 69(5), 263-269.
- Allen, F.H. and Darvall, P. (1977), "Lateral load equivalent frame", ACI J., Proc., 74(7), 294-299.
- Carpenter, J.E. (1965), "Flexural characteristics of flat plate floors in buildings subjected to lateral loads", Ph.D. Thesis, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN.
- ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers) (2007), ASCE/SEI 41-06: Seismic rehabilitation of existing buildings. ASCE, Reston, VA.
- Banchik, C.A. (1987), "Effective beam width coefficients for equivalent frame analysis of flat-plate structures", ME Thesis, University of California, Berkley, CA.
- Cano, M.T. and Kilngner, R.E. (1987), "Comparison of analysis procedures for tow-way slabs", ACI Struct. J., 85(6), 597-608.
- Choi, K.K. and Park, H.G. (2003), "Moment-rotation relationship and effective stiffness of flat plates under lateral load", J. Korean Concrete Inst., 15(6), 856-865. https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2003.15.6.856
- Choi, J.W. and Song, J.G. (2005), "A method for effective beam widths of slabs in flat plate structures under gravity and lateral loads", Struct. Eng. Mech., 21(4), 451-468 https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2005.21.4.451
- Corely, W.G., Sozen, M.A. and Siess, C.P. (1961), "The equivalent frame analysis for reinforced concrete slabs", Structural Research Series No. 218, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL.
- Corley, W.G. and Jirsa, J.O. (1970), "Equivalent frame analysis for slab design", ACI J., Proc., 67(11), 875-884.
- Ghali, A. and Gayed, R.B. (2012), "Requirements for seismic-resistant flat plates : Strength and ductility", ACI Special Publication, 287, 1-19.
- Grossman, J.S. (1997), "Verification of proposed design methodologies for effective width of slabs in slab-column frames", ACI Struct. J., 94(2), 181-196.
- Han, S.W., Park, Y.M. and Kee, S.H. (2009), "Stiffness reduction factor for flat slab structures under lateral loads", J. Struct. Eng. - ASCE, 135(6), 743-750. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000001
- Hwang, S.J. and Moehle, J.P. (1993). "An experimental study of flat-plate structures under vertical and lateral loads", University of California, Berkeley, CA.
- Hwang, S.J. and Moehle, J.P. (2000), "Models for laterally loaded slab-column frames", ACI Struct. J., 97(2), 345-352.
- Jirsa, J.O., Sozen, M.A. and Siess, C.P. (1969), "Pattern loadings on reinforced concrere floor slabs", J. Struct. Div.- ASCE, 96(ST5), 1117-1137.
- Lee, D.H., Kim, K.S., Kim, S.S., Kim, Y.N. and Lim, J.H. (2009), "Applicability of partial post-tension method for deflection control of reinforced concrete slabs", J. Korean Concrete Inst., 21(3), 347-358. https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2009.21.3.347
- KCI-M-12 (2012), Design Specifications for Concrete Structures. Korea Concrete Institute, Korea.
- Khan, F.R. and Sbarounis, J.A. (1964), "Interaction of Shear Walls and Frames", J. Struct. Div.- ASCE, 90(ST3), 285-335.
- Kim, H.S. and Lee, D.G. (2005), "Efficient analysis of flat slab structures subjected to lateral loads", Eng. Struct., 27(2), 251-263. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.10.005
- Lee, S.J., Lee, D.H., Kim, K.S., Oh, J.Y., Park, M.K. and Yang, I.S. (2013), "Seismic performances of RC columns reinforced with screw ribbed reinforcements connected by mechanical splice", Comput. Concr., 12(2), 131-149 https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2013.12.2.131
- Lee, S.Y. and Lee, D.G. (1994), "Effect of gravity load on seismic response of multistorey buildings", Eng. Struct., 16(6), 445-454. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(94)90059-0
- Lee, Y.W. and Kim, J.W. (2003), "An analysis of the flat plate structure with simplified equivalent beam model", J. Archit. Insti. Korea, 19(11), 57-64.
- Luo, Y.H. and Durrani, A.J. (1995a), "Equivalent beam model for flat slab buildings - part I: Interior connection", ACI Struct. J., 92(1), 115-124.
- Luo, Y.H. and Durrani, A.J. (1995b), "Equivalent beam model for flat slab buildings - Part II: Exterior connection", ACI Struct. J., 92(2), 250-257.
- Moehle, J.P. and Diebold, J.W. (1985), "Lateral load response of flat-plate frame", J. Struct. Eng.- ASCE, 111(10), 2149-2164. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1985)111:10(2149)
- Murray, K.A., Cleland, D.J., Gilbert, S.G. and Scott, R.H. (2003), "Improved equivalent frame method for flat plate structures in vicinity of edge column", ACI Struct. J., 100(4), 454-464.
- Park, Y.M. (2009), "Modified equivalent frame method for flat plate systems under lateral loads", Ph.D. thesis, Department of Architectural Engineering, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea.
- Park, Y.M., Han, S.W. and Kee, S.H. (2009), "A modified equivalent frame method for lateral load analysis", Mag. Concrete Res., 61(5), 359-370. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.2008.00081
- Park, Y.M., Rew, Y.H. and Han, S.W. (2012), "Stiffness reduction factor for post-tensioned flat plate slabs", Mag. Concrete Res., 64(1), 83-92. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.10.00150
- Robertson, I.N. (1997), "Analysis of flat slab structures subjected to combined lateral and gravity loads", ACI Struct. J., 94(6), 723-729.
- Pecknold, D.A. (1975), "Slab effective width for equivalent frame analysis", ACI J., Proc., 72(4), 135-137.
- Peiris, C. and Ghali, A. (2012), "Flexural reinforcement essential for punching shear resistance of slabs", ACI Special Publication, 287, 83-97.
- Robertson, I.N. (1990), "Seismic response of connections in indeterminate flat-slab subassemblies", Ph.D. thesis, Department of Civil Engineering, Rice University, Houston, TX.
- Schwaighofer, J. and Collins, M.P. (1977), "Experimental study of the behavior of reinforced concrete coupling slabs", ACI J., Proc., 74(3), 123-127.
- Vanderbilt, M.D. (1981), The Equivalent Frame Analysis for Reinforced Concrete Slabs, Structural Research Series No. 36, Civil Engineering Department, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO.
- Vanderbilt, M.D. and Corley, W.G. (1983), "Frame analysis for concrete buildings", Concrete Int.: Design construct., 5(12), 33-43.
- Xing, G.H., Wu, T., Niu, D.T. and Liu, X. (2013), "Seismic behavior of reinforced concrete interior beam-column joints with beams of different depths", Earthq. Struct., 4(4), 429-449. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.4.4.429
- Unified equivalent frame method for flat plate slab structures under combined gravity and lateral loads - Part 2: verification vol.7, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.5.735
- Evaluation of Ductility of RC Structures Constructed with Bubble Deck System 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40999-017-0158-y