- Volume 7 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Comparative in-plane pushover response of a typical RC rectangular wall designed by different standards
- Dashti, Farhad (Department of Civil and Natural Resources Engineering, University of Canterbury) ;
- Dhakal, Rajesh P. (Department of Civil and Natural Resources Engineering, University of Canterbury) ;
- Pampanin, Stefano (Department of Civil and Natural Resources Engineering, University of Canterbury)
- Received : 2014.02.28
- Accepted : 2014.05.08
- Published : 2014.11.25
Structural walls (also known as shear walls) are one of the common lateral load resisting elements in reinforced concrete (RC) buildings in seismic regions. The performance of RC structural walls in recent earthquakes has exposed some problems with the existing design of RC structural walls. The main issues lie around the buckling of bars, out-of plane deformation of the wall (especially the zone deteriorated in compression), reinforcement getting snapped beneath a solitary thin crack etc. This study compares performance of a typical wall designed by different standards. For this purpose, a case study RC shear wall is taken from the Hotel Grand Chancellor in Christchurch which was designed according to the 1982 version of the New Zealand concrete structures standard (NZS3101:1982). The wall is redesigned in this study to comply with the detailing requirements of three standards; ACI-318-11, NZS3101:2006 and Eurocode 8 in such a way that they provide the same flexural and shear capacity. Based on section analysis and pushover analysis, nonlinear responses of the walls are compared in terms of their lateral load capacity and curvature as well as displacement ductilities, and the effect of the code limitations on nonlinear responses of the different walls are evaluated. A parametric study is also carried out to further investigate the effect of confinement length and axial load ratio on the lateral response of shear walls.
reinforced concrete;shear wall;design codes;comparative performance;confinement length;axial load ratio
- CEN, C. E. d. N. (2004), "Eurocode 8: Design of structures for earthquake resistance", Part 1, 1998-1991.
- ACI318 (2011), Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete (ACI 318-11) and Commentary (ACI318R-11). American Concrete Instritute, Farmington Hills, Michigan.
- Boulanger, B., Paultre, P. and Lamarche, C.P. (2013), "Analysis of a damaged 12-storey frame-wall concrete building during the 2010 Haiti earthquake - Part II: Nonlinear numerical simulations", Can. J. Civ. Eng., 40(8), 803-814. https://doi.org/10.1139/cjce-2012-0099
- Dhakal, R. and Maekawa, K. (2002), "Modeling for Postyield Buckling of Reinforcement", J. Struct. Eng., 128(9), 1139-1147. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2002)128:9(1139)
- DIANA, T. (2011), Finite Element Analysis User's Manual - Release 9.4.4, TNO DIANA.
- Kam, W. Y., S. Pampanin and K. Elwood (2011), "Seismic performance of reinforced concrete buildings in the 22 February Christchurch (Lyttelton) earthquake", Bull. New Zealand Soc. Earthq. Eng., 44(4), 239-278. J R SOC NEW ZEAL
- Dunning Thornton Report (2011), Report on the Structural Performance of the Hotel Grand Chancellor in the Earthquake of 22 February 2011. Report for the Department of Building & Housing. http://www.dbh.govt.nz/userfiles/File/Reports/quake-structural-performance-hotel-grand-chancellor.pdf, Dunning Thornton Consultants Ltd.
- EERI (2011), The M 6.3 Christchurch, New Zealand, Earthquake of February 22, EERI Special Earthquake Report.
- Elwood, K.J. (2013), "Performance of concrete buildings in the 22 February 2011 Christchurch earthquake and implications for Canadian codes 1", Can. J. Civ. Eng., 40(3), 1-18. https://doi.org/10.1139/cjce-2011-0052
- Luu, H., Ghorbanirenani, I., Leger, P. and Tremblay, R. (2013), "Numerical modeling of slender reinforced concrete shear wall shaking table tests under high-frequency ground motions", J. Earthq. Eng., 17(4), 517-542. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2013.767759
- Mander, J., Priestley, M.N. and Park, R. (1988), "Theoretical stress-strain model for confined concrete", J. Struct. Eng., 114(8), 1804-1826. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1988)114:8(1804)
- Massone, L.M., Orakcal, K. and Wallace, J.W. (2009), "Modeling of squat structural walls controlled by shear", ACI Struct. J., 106(5).
- Menegotto, M. and Pinto, P. (1973), Method of Analysis for Cyclically Loaded Reinforced Concrete Plane Frames Including Changes in Geometry and Non-elastic Behavior of Elements Under Combined Normal Force and Bending. IABSE Symposium on the Resistance and Ultimate Deformability of Structures Acted on by Well-Defined Repeated Loads, Lisbon.
- NZRC (2012), Canterbury Earthquakes Royal Commission Reports, http://canterbury.royalcommission.govt.nz/Final-Report-Volume-Two-Contents.
- NZS3101 (2006), NZS 3101:2006 Concrete Structures Standard. Part 1: The Design of Concrete Structures.
- Orakcal, K., Massone, L.M. and Wallace, J.W. (2006), "Analytical modeling of reinforced concrete walls for predicting flexural and coupled-shear-flexural responses", Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center, College of Engineering, University of California, Berkeley.
- Panagiotou, M., Restrepo, J.I., Schoettler, M. and Kim, G. (2012), "Nonlinear cyclic truss model for reinforced concrete walls", ACI Struct. J., 109(2), 205-214.
- Sullivan, T.J. (2010), "Capacity design considerations for RC frame-wall structures", Earthq. Struct., 1(4), 391-410. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2010.1.4.391
- Peng, B., Dhakal, R., Fenwick, R., Carr, A. and Bull, D. (2013), "Multispring hinge element for reinforced concrete frame analysis", J. Struct. Eng., 139(4), 595-606. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000690
- Priestley, M. N. (1996), Seismic design and retrofit of bridges, Wiley-Interscience.
- Song, W., Dyke, S. and Harmon, T. (2013), "Application of nonlinear model updating for a reinforced concrete shear wall", J. Eng. Mech.-Asce, 139(5), 635-649. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000519
- Telleen, K., Maffei, J., Heintz, J. and Dragovich, J. (2012a), "Practical lessons for concrete wall design, Based on studies of the 2010 chile earthquake", 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, 24-28 September 2012, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Telleen, K., Maffei, J., Willford, M., Aviram, A., Huang, Y., Kelly, D. and Bonelli, P. (2012b), Lessons for Concrete Wall design from the 2010 Maule Chile Earthquake, Proceedings of the International Symposium on Engineering Lessons Learned from the 2011, Great East Japan Earthquake, March 1-4, 2012, Tokyo, Japan.
- Thomsen IV, J.H. and Wallace, J.W. (1995), Displacement-Based Design of Reinforced Concrete Structural Walls: An Experimental Investigation of Walls with Rectangular and T-Shaped Cross-Sections, Report No. CU/CEE-95-06, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Clarkson University, Potsdam, N.Y.
- Thomsen IV, J.H. and Wallace, J.W. (2004), "Displacement-based design of slender reinforced concrete structural walls-experimental verification", J. Struct. Eng., 130(4), 618-630. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:4(618)
- TRC (2011), XTRACT, Imbsen Software Systems, 9912 Business Park Drive, Suite 130, Sacramento, CA 95827.
- Vecchio, F.J. and Collins, M.P. (1986), "The modified compression-field theory for reinforced concrete elements subjected to shear", ACI J., 83(2), 219-231.
- Wallace, J. (2012), "Behavior, design, and modeling of structural walls and coupling beams - Lessons from recent laboratory tests and earthquakes", Int. J. Concrete Struct. Mater., 6(1), 3-18. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40069-012-0001-4
- Wallace, J. and Moehle, J. (2012), "Behavior and design of structural walls-Lessons from recent laboratory tests and earthquakes", Proceedings of the International Symposium on Engineering Lessons Learned from the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake, March 1-4, 2012, Tokyo, Japan.
- Wan, H. and Li, P. (2012), "Finite element simulation of RC shear wall components", Progress in Civil Engineering, Pts 1-4.
- Chu, M.J., Li, X.G., Lu, J.Z., Hou, X.M. and Wang, X., Amsterdam, Elsevier Science Bv. 170-173, 3594-3597.
- Seismic deformation demands on rectangular structural walls in frame-wall systems vol.10, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.10.2.329
- Seismic assessment of slender high rise buildings with different shear walls configurations vol.1, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/acd.2016.1.3.221
- A parametric investigation on applicability of the curved shell finite element model to nonlinear response prediction of planar RC walls pp.1573-1456, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-019-00582-8