- Volume 20 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Influences of Social Support, Self-esteem and Motivation for Rehabilitation on the Activities of Daily Living in Stroke Patients
뇌졸중 환자의 사회적 지지, 자아존중감 및 재활동기가 일상생활 수행능력에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2014.10.01
- Accepted : 2014.11.28
- Published : 2014.11.30
Purpose: The purposes of this study were to evaluate the degree of social support, self-esteem, and motivation for rehabilitation in stroke patients and examine correlations between activities of daily living and study variables. Furthermore, this study explored factors that influence on activities of daily living. Methods: The study population was 192 stroke patients admitted in two general hospitals and two rehabilitation hospitals in M city. We collected the data using the structured questionnaires from July 11 to September 30, 2013. Results: The higher degree of social support, self-esteem, motivation for rehabilitation, the higher performance level for activities of daily living. Influencing factors of activities of daily living in the participants were motivation for rehabilitation(
Stroke;Social support;Self-esteem;Rehabilitation;Motivation;Activities of Daily Living(ADL)
- Choi, M. A. (2013). Relationship between post-stroke Fatigue and Daily Activities. Unpublished master's thesis, Ajou University, Suwon.
- Adkins, E. R. H. (1993). Quality of life after stroke: Exposing a gap in nursing literature. Rehabilitation Nursing, 18(3), 144-147. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2048-7940.1993.tb00742.x
- Carod-Artal, F., Egido, J., Gonzalez, L., & Varela de Seijas, E. (2000). Quality of life among stroke survivors evaluated 1 year after stroke. Stroke, 31(12), 2995-3000. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.31.12.2995
- Cho, B. H. (2011). Effects of Video-guided Education for Primary Family-caregivers of Stroke Patients. Journal of Korean Acad Fundam Nursing, 20(2), 157-167.
- Han, H. S., & Lim, N. Y. (2001). Development of an instrument to measure motivation for rehabilitation in disabled. Journal of Korean Acad Adult Nursing, 14(4), 554-563.
- Jeon, B. J. (1974). Self-esteem: A test of its measurability. Yonsei Nonchong, 11, 107-129.
- Kim, D. H. (2013). Effect of Stroke Patient's ADL, Self-Esteem, and Caregivers on the Motivation for Rehabilitation. Unpublished master's thesis, Dong Shin University, Naju.
- Kim, E. H. (2008). The effects of clinical art therapy on self-esteem and motivation for rehabilitation in stroke patients. Journal of Korean Academy of Clinical Art Therapy, 3(2), 95-103.
- Kim, H. S., Hwang, Y. O., Yu, J. H., Jung, J. H., Woo, H. S., & Jung, H. S. (2009). The Correlation Between Depression, Motivation for Rehabilitation, Activities of Daily Living, and Quality of Life in Stroke Patients. Journal of Korean Society of Occupational Therapy, 17(3), 41-53.
- Kim, J. W. (2010). The Factors Affecting Activities of Daily Living of the Aged. Unpublished master's thesis, Han sei University, Gunpo.
- Kim, H. S. (2006). A Study on acute stroke Patient's Functional condition, The Family burden and The Family educational needs. Unpublished master's thesis, Soonchunhyang University, Asan.
- Kim, J. H., & Han, T. R. (2004). Rehabilitation medicine. Seoul: KoonJa Publishing.
- Kim, J. H., Lee, Y. M., Joung, H. Y., Choo, H. S., Won, S. J., Kwon, S. Y., et al. (2013). Effects of Emotional Labor, EmotionalIntelligence and Social Support on Job Stress in Clinical Nurses. Journal of Korean Acad Fundam Nurs ing, 20(2), 157-167. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2013.20.2.157
- Kim, K. A. (2008). Social Support and Independent Functions and Quality of Life in Stroke Patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Kim, K. I. (2010). Influence of Self-esteem, Depression and Body image on Marital intimacy of Stroke Patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Dong A University, Busan.
- Kim, N. H., Kwon, Y. S., Kim, M. A., Lee, K. H., & Kwak, H. W. (2011). A study on the Nutritional Status Symptoms, and Information Needs in Stroke Patients withDysphagia. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Sciences, 13(1), 72-80.
- Korean Geriatrics Society. (2005). Geriatrics. Seoul: Medical Publishers. http://www.Geriatrics.co.kr/
- Kwakkel, G., Wagenaar, R. C., Kollen, B. J., & Lankhorst, G. J. (1996). Predicting disability in stroke: A critical review of the literature. Age and ageing, 25(6), 479-489. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/25.6.479
- Maclean, N., Pound, P., Wolfe, C., & Rudd, A. (2000). Qualitative analysis of stroke patients' motivation for rehabilitation. British Medical Journal, 321(7268), 1051-1057. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.321.7268.1051
- National Health Statistics. (2010). Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(K-NHANES), (http://knhanes.cdc.go.kr).
- Madden, S., Hopman, W. M., Bagg, S., Verner, J. O., & Challaghan, C. J. (2006). Functional status and health-related quality of life during in patient stroke rehabilitation. American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 85(10), 831-838. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.phm.0000240666.24142.f7
- Monahan, F, D., & Phipps, W. J. (2007). Phipps' medical-surgical Nursing Health & Illness Perspectives(8th ed). 1428-1429. Missouri: Elsevier Mosby.
- Muhlenkamp, A. F., & Joyner, J. A. (1986). Arthritis patients' self-reported affective states and their caregivers' perceptions. Nursing Reserch, 35(1), 24-27.
- National stroke association. (2010). www.stroke.org
- Renwick, R., & Brown, N. M. (1996). Quality of life in health promotion and rehavilitation conceptual approaches, issues and application. CA, Sage, 150-153.
- Rosenberg, M. (1965). Society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton University Press.
- Son, B. S. (2005). Study on the factors affecting rehabilitation motive of elderly strokepatients living at home. Unpublished master's thesis, Hallym University, Chuncheon.
- Sturm, J. W., Dewey, H. M., Donnan, G. A., Macdonell, R. A. L., McNeil, J. J., & Thrift, A. G. (2002). Handicap after stroke: How does itrelate to disavility, perception of recovery, and stroke subtype. Stroke, 33(3), 762-768. https://doi.org/10.1161/hs0302.103815
- Suh, M. H., & Choi, S. M. (2009). Sleep-Wake Disturbance in Post-stroke Patients. Journalof Korean Biological Nursing Sciences, 11(1), 23-31.
- Zimet, G. D., Dahlem, W., Zimet, S. G., & Farley, G. K. (1988). The Multidimensional Scale of Perceived Social Support. Journal of Personality Assessment, 52(1), 30-41. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa5201_2
- The Mediating Effect of Resilience on Depression and Rehabilitation Motivation in Stroke Patients vol.23, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2016.23.1.19