- Volume 49 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Influence of the axial force on the behavior of endplate moment connections
- Ghassemieh, Mehdi (School of Civil Engineering, University of Tehran) ;
- Shamim, Iman (Department of Civil Engineering and Applied Mechanics, McGill University) ;
- Gholampour, Ali Akbar (School of Civil Engineering, University of Tehran)
- Received : 2012.03.05
- Accepted : 2013.12.09
- Published : 2014.01.10
In this article, using finite element method of analysis (FEM), behavior of the endplate moment connection subjected to axial force and bending moment is investigated. In the FEM model, all the nonlinear characteristics such as material, geometry, as well as contact have been included. First, in order to verify the numerical model of the connection, an analysis of the endplate moment connection conducted without the application of the axial force. Results obtained from FEM indicating a close and good correlation with the experimental results. Then to investigate the influence of the axial forces, the connections subjected to axial forces as well as the bending moment are analyzed. To observe the overall effect of these actions, the momentaxial force interaction diagrams are drawn. It is observed that the presence of axial force even in a small value can change the behavior of the connection significantly. It is also shown that the axial forces can alter the failure mode of the connection; and therefore it could result in a different than the predicted moment capacity of the connection.
- ABAQUS User's Manual (2003), Version 6.4, ABAQUS Inc., Providence, R.I.
- Adey, B.T., Grondin, G.Y. and Cheng, J.J.R. (1998), "Extended endplate moment connections under cyclic loading", J. Constr. Steel Res., 46(1-3), 435-446. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(98)80073-4
- Adey, B.T., Grondin, G.Y. and Cheng, J.J.R. (2000), "Cyclic loading of endplate moment connections", Can. J. Civil Eng., 27(4), 683-701. https://doi.org/10.1139/l99-080
- Aggarwal, A.K. (1994), "Comparative tests on endplate beam-to-column connections", J. Constr. Steel Res., 30, 151-175. https://doi.org/10.1016/0143-974X(94)90048-5
- Ahuja, V., Kukreti, A.R. and Murray, T.M. (1982), "Analysis of stiffened endplate connections using the finite element method", Research Report No. FSEL/MBMA 82-01, Fears Structural Engineering Laboratory, School of Civil Engineering and Environmental Science, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma.
- ANSI/AISC 358-05 (2005), "Prequalified connections for special and intermediate steel moment frames for seismic applications", American Institute of Steel Construction, Chicago, Illinois, USA.
- Bahaari, M.R. and Sherbourne, A.N. (1994), "Computer modeling of an extended endplate bolted connection", Comput. Struct., 52(5), 879-893. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(94)90073-6
- Bond, D.E. and Murray, T.M. (1989), "Analytical and experimental investigation of a flush moment endplate connection with six bolts at the tension flange", Research Report No. CE/VPI-ST-89/10, Dept. of Civil Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA.
- Borgsmiller, J.T. (1995), "Simplified method for design of moment endplate connections", M.S. Thesis, Department of civil Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia.
- Bose, B., Wang, Z.M. and Sarkar, S. (1997), "Finite-element analysis of unstiffened flush endplate bolted joints", J.Struct. Eng., 123(12), 1614-1621. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1997)123:12(1614)
- Coelho, A.M.G., Bijlaard, F.S.K. and Da Silva, L.S. (2004), "Experimental assessment of the ductility of extended endplate connections", Eng. Struct., 26(9), 1185-1206. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2000.09.001
- Coelho, A.M.G. and Bijlaard, F.S.K. (2007), "Experimental behavior of high strength steel endplate connections", J. Constr. Steel Res., 63, 1228-1240. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2006.11.010
- Da Silva, L. (2008), "Towards a consistent design approach for steel joints under generalized loading", J. Constr. Steel Res., 64(9), 1059-1075. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.02.017
- Da Silva, L., De Lima, L.R.O., Vellasco, P.C.G. and De Andrade, S.A.L. (2004), "Behaviour of flush endplate beam-to-column joints under bending and axial force", Int. J. Steel Compos. Struct., 4(2), 77-94. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2004.4.2.077
- De Lima, L.R.O., Da Silva, L., Vellasco, P.C.G. and De Andrade, S.A.L. (2004), "Experimental evaluation of extended endplate beam-to-column joints subjected to bending and axial force", Eng. Struct., 26(10), 1333-1347. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.04.003
- Diaz, C., Victoria, M., Marti, P. and Querin, O.M. (2011), "FE model of beam-to-column extended endplate joints", J. Constr. Steel Res., 67(10), 635-649.
- Eurocode 3 (1993), Design of steel structures: Part 1.1-General rules and rules for buildings - Revised annex J: Joints in building frames, European Prenorm, CEN, Brussels, Europe.
- Ghassemieh, M., Kukreti, A.R. and Murray, T.M. (1983), "Inelastic finite element analysis of stiffened endplate moment connections", Research Report No. FSEL/MBMA 83-02, Fears Structural Engineering Laboratory, School of Civil Engineering and Environmental Science, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma.
- Jaspart J.P., Braham M. and Cerfontaine, F. (1999), "Strength of joints subject to combined action of bending moments and axial forces", Proceedings of the Conference Eurosteel '99, 2, CTU Prague, Prague.
- Krishnamurthy, N. and Graddy, D.E. (1976), "Correlation between 2- and 3-dimensional finite element analysis of steel bolted endplate connections", Comput. Struct., 6(4-5), 381-389. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(76)90016-X
- Lemonis, M.E. and Gantes, C.J. (2009), "Mechanical modeling of the nonlinear response of beam-to-column joints", J. Constr. Steel Res., 65(4), 879-890. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.11.007
- Maggi, Y.I., Goncalves, R.M., Leon, R.T. and Ribeiro, L.F.L. (2004), "Parametric analysis of steel bolted end plate connections using finite element modeling", J. Constr. Steel Res., 61(5), 689-70.
- Mann, A.P. (1968), "Plastically designed endplate connections", Ph.D. Thesis, University of Leeds, England.
- Mays, T.W. (2000), "Application of the finite element method to the seismic design and analysis of large moment end-plate connections", Ph.D. Dissertation, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia.
- Meng, R.L. (1996), "Design of moment end-plate connections for seismic loading", Ph.D. Dissertation Submitted to Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia.
- Murray, T.M. (1990), AISC Design Guide Series 4, Extended Endplate Moment Connections, American Institute of Steel Construction, Chicago.
- Murray, T.M. and Shoemaker, W.L. (2002), "Steel design guide series 16, flush and extended multiple-row moment endplate connections", American Institute of Steel Construction, Chicago, IL.
- Nogueiro, P., Da Silva, L., Bento, R. and Simoes, R. (2009), "Calibration of model parameters for the cyclic response of end-plate beam-to-column steel-concrete composite joints", Steel Compos. Struct., 9(1), 39-58. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2009.9.1.039
- Sherbourne, A. (1961), "Bolted beam-to-column connections", Struct. Eng., 39(6), 203-210.
- Sokol, Z., Wald, F., Delabre, V., Muzeau, J.P. and Svarc, M. (2002), "Design of end plate joints subject to moment and normal force", Proceedings of the Conference Eurosteel.
- Sumner, E.A. and Murray, T.M. (2001), "Experimental investigation of four bolts wide extended endplate moment connections", Research Report No. CE/VPI-ST-01/15, Submitted to Star Building System, Inc., Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA.
- Urbonas, K. and Daniunas, A. (2006), "Behavior of semi-rigid steel beam-to-beam joints under bending and axial forces", J. Constr. Steel Res., 62(12), 1244-1249. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2006.04.024
- Yang, C.M. and Kim, Y.M. (2007), "Cyclic behavior of bolted and welded beam-to-column joints", Int. J. Mech. Sci., 49(5), 635-649. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2006.09.022
- Adopting flexibility of the end-plate connections in steel moment frames vol.18, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.18.5.1215
- Seismic response of current RC buildings in Kathmandu Valley vol.53, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.53.4.791
- Axial load effects on flush end-plate moment connections vol.170, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1680/jstbu.15.00042