- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of rock load based on critical shear strain concept on tunnels
한계전단변형률 개념을 이용한 터널의 지반이완하중 평가
- Kim, Jung-Joo (Hanyang university) ;
- Lee, Jae-Kook (Hanyang university) ;
- Kim, Jong-Uk (Hanyang university) ;
- Yoo, Han-Kyu (Hanyang university)
- Received : 2013.11.16
- Accepted : 2013.11.28
- Published : 2013.11.30
After studying the characteristics of three different evaluation methods of rock load; namely theoretical method, empirical method and numerical method, there were too many limitations for them to be applied on tunnels. Therefore, in this research paper, the method based on numerical analysis is selected to use as this method is the most reasonable one since it considers all parameters that are necessary for rock load estimations, and it also considers the interaction between ground and tunnel support. The critical shear strain concept formulated by Sakurai (1981) was used in order to measure exact rock load values based on numerical analysis. Evaluation on a Level 1 rock load height, which is depicted by the stable region in the graph shows that rock load is not affecting between ground grade 1~3, and it was evaluated that the fourth and fifth grades show less values of rock load height which led to the conclusion of a more economical design of concrete lining.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Bierbaumer, A. (1913), "Die dimensionnierung des tunnelmanerwerks." pp. 101.
- Bieniawski, Z.T. (1989), "Engineering rock mass classifications", John Wiley & Sons, pp. 162-169.
- Chun, B.S., Shin, Y.W. (2000), "A case study on the design loads of tunnel concrete lining." Civil Expo, pp. 5-8.
- Chun, B.S., Shin, Y.W. (2001), "A study on the design loads of NATM tunnel concrete lining." J. of Korean Society for Rock Mechanics TUNNEL & UNDERGROUND, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 96-108.
- Grimstad, E., Barton, N. (1993), "Updating the Q-system for NMT." Proc. int. symp. on sprayed concrete - modern use of wet mix sprayed concrete for underground support, Fagernes. Oslo, pp. 46-66.
- Huh, D.H., Chang, S.B., Moon, H.K. (2008), "A study on the secondary tunnel lining design using a ground lining interaction model." J. of The Korean Society for Geosystem Engineering, Vol. 45, No. 4, pp. 370-380.
- Korean Tunneling Association. (2009), A manual of tunnel design criteria, CIR, Korea, pp. 145-165.
- Kim, S.H., Park, I.J., Moon, H.K., Shin, Y.S. (2010), "A study on behavioral characteristics of concrete lining based on the equations of relaxed rock loads." J. of Korean Tunnelling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 443-450.
- Kim, S.H., Kim, K.L., Jeong, S.S., Choi, W.I. Lee, K.J., Lee, S.W. (2012), "Estimation of the ground loads acting on concrete lining in NATM tunnel." Korean Society for Railway pp. 415-420.
- Kwa'sniewsji, M., Takahashi, M. (2010), "Strainbased failure criteria for rocks : State of the art and recent advances." Rock Mechanics in Civil Environmental Engineering. pp. 45-56.
- Park, J.J., Kim, Y.M., Hwang, T.J., Jeong, S.S. (2011), "Numerical analysis of tunnel lining under lossening Load." J. of THE KOREAN GEOTECHNICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 27, No. 7, pp. 35-45.
- Park, S.H. (2013), "Engineering interpretation of critical strains in the ground and a new approach to assess the tunnel stability." Proc. of Tunnelling and Underground Space Construction for Sustainable Development., Korea Tunnelling Underground Space Association, Seoul, Korea, pp. 273-276.
- Park, K.H., Shin, Y.W., Kim, J.J., Yoo, H.K. (2013), "A study on the estimation method of rock load applied to concrete lining using back analysis." J. of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 33, No. 5, pp. 1957-1968. https://doi.org/10.12652/Ksce.2013.33.5.1957
- Rose, D. (1982), "Revising Terzaghi's tunnel rock load coefficient", Proc. 23rd U.S Symposium on Rock Mechanics., AIME, New york, pp. 953-960.
- Ryu, D.H., Kim, S.C., Lee, C.J., Park, J.Y., Lim J.G., Moon, J.W. (2012), "A study on the application based on the equations of loosening loads for the optimized design of concrete lining." Korean Society for Railway, pp. 7-18.
- Sakurai, S. (1981), "Direct strain evaluation technique in construction of underground opening", Proc. 22nd U,S, Sympo. Rock Mech., Cambridge, MIT, pp. 298-302.
- Sakurai, S. (1982), "An evaluation technique of displacement measurements in tunnels", Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, JSCE, Vol, 317, pp 93-100.
- Sakurai, S., I.Kawashima & T.Otani. (1995), "A criterion for assessing the stability of tunnels." Eurock'93, Ribeiro e Sousa & Grossmann(eds), pp. 969-973.
- Sakurai, S. (1997), "Lesson learned from field measurements in tunnelling", Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 453-460. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0886-7798(98)00004-2
- Seo, S.H., Chang, S.B., Lee, S.D. (2002), "An analysis model of the secondary tunnel lining Considering ground-primary support-secondary lining interaction." J. of Korean Society for Rock Mech, Vol. 12, No 2, pp. 107-114.
- Shin, Y.S., Park, S.H. (2009), "Engineering interpretation of critical strains in the ground based on the tunnel engineering." J. of TUNNELLING TECHNOLOGY, Vol 11, No. 4, pp. 403-410.
- Terzaghi, K. (1943), Theoretical soil mechanics, John Wiley and Sons, New York, pp. 66-76.
- The British Tunnelling Society and The Institution of Civil Engineers. (2004), Tunnel lining design guide, Thomas Telford, UK, pp. 92-95.
- Unal, E. (1983), Design guideline and roof control standards for coal mine roofs, Ph.D. Thesis, The Pennsylvania State University.
- Venkateswarlu, V. (1986), "Geomechanics classification of coal measure rocks vis-a-vis roof supports", Engineering Rock Mass Classification (ed. Bieniawski, Z. T.), John Wiley & Sons.
- Yoo, K.H., Lee D.H., (2007), "The estimation of the relaxed rock mass height of a subsea tunnel under the overstressed ground conditions in coupled analysis." J. of Korean Society for Rock Mechanics, pp. 137-146.
- Structural performance of final lining according to the rock load shape vol.20, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-015-0308-1
- Prediction of ground load by performing back analysis using composite support model in concrete lining design vol.19, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-015-1514-6