- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
The association between menarche experience and mental health in middle school girls
여중생의 초경경험과 정신건강의 연관성 연구
- Ahn, Kyung-Min (Sahmyook Health University Beauty Hair) ;
- Hong, Kyung-Hee (Sahmyook Health University Liberal Arts)
- Received : 2013.10.22
- Accepted : 2013.11.07
- Published : 2013.11.30
This study was performed to identify the association between the menarche experience and mental health in middle school girls aged 14. The subjects were selected using data from the 8th Korean Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey (KYRBWS-V), which included 5,991 girls in 1st grade of middle school. Data were analyzed using the PASW 18.0 program for frequency analysis, t-test, chi square and logistic regression analysis. As to results, we found 4,473 girls who had experienced menarche (mean age, 12.8 0.9 years) and 1,518 girls hadn't experienced menarche. In the logistic regression analysis between the menarche experience and mental health behaviors, the odds ratio (OR) [95% confidence interval (CI)] for perceived stress (OR=1.39, 1.20-1.62, p<0.001), perceived depression (OR=1.25, 1.10-1.42, p<0.05), suicide thinking (6OR=1.60, 1.38-1.87, <0.001), suicide planning (OR=1.66, 1.33-2.81, p<0.001) and suicide trial (OR=1.42, 1.09-1.86, p<0.05) were higher in the menarche experience group than in the menarche non-experience group. Our results indicate, a viable association between the menarche experience and mental health in the 1st grade of middle school girls, and suggests that the menarche experience is an important factor influencing adolescent girls' mental health.
- H, Sebald, "Adolescence: A Sociological Analysis" New York: Appleton, 1968.
- J. H. Park, K. S. Kim, K. H. Kim, G. W. Nam, K. W. Min, S. S. Lee, C. H. Jeong, H. S. Lee, H. J. Lee, "Association of Demographic Characteristics and Delinquent Behaviors and Level of Stress among Korean Senior High School Students", The Korea Institute of Electronic Communication Science, Vol. 8, No. 6, pp. 971-978, 2013. https://doi.org/10.13067/JKIECS.2013.8.6.971
- D. H. Ahn, "Mental Disorders in Adolescents", Journal of the Korean Medical Association, Vol. 52, No. 8, pp. 745-757, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2009.52.8.745 https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2009.52.8.745
- G. M. Kim, J. W. Kim, J. H. Kim, "Current state of research on youth depression and suicide prevention", Journal of the Korean Medical Association, Vol. 55, No. 4, pp. 356-361, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2012.55.4.356 https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2012.55.4.356
- H. Remschmidt, M. Belfer, "Mental health care for children and adolescents worldwide", A review, World Psychiatry, Vol. 4, pp. 147-153, 2005.
- "The Statistics of the 8th Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey(KYRBWS) in 2012", Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2012.
- "The Statistics of 5th Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES V-S) in 2011", Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2011.
- M. S. Park, Y. K. Min, "Validation of Menstrual Attitude Scale and Effects of Menarche-Related Variables on Mestrual Attitude of Early Adolescent Females", Korean Journal of Psychology, Vol. 3, No. 9, pp. 43-67, 2004.
- U. H. Baek, "An Analysis on Physique, Body Mass Index and Bone Mineral Density According to Period of Elementary Schoolgirls'Menarche", Journal of Physical Growth and Motor Development, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 153-157, 2009
- H. J. Kim, "Study on an Attitude toward Menstruation, Perimenstrual Symptoms, and Coping of Nursing Students", Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 288-295, 2005.
- M. H. Sung, K. S. Joo, "Relationships among Attitudes toward Menstruation, Peri-menstrual Symptoms, and Coping in Adolescent Girls", Korean Journal of Health Promotion, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 106-114, 2011.
- H. W. Kim, M. K. Kwon, "A Study of Menstruation of Middle School Students", Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 148-155, 2005.
- M. F. Bear, B. W. Connors, and M. A, "PARADISO Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain, 3rd Ed", Lippincott Willams&Wilkins, 2006
- M. J. Park, I. S. Lee, E. K. Shin, H. J. Joung, S. I. Cho," The timing of sexual maturation and secular trends of menarchial age in Korean adolescents", Korean Journal of Pediatrics, Vol. 49, No. 6, pp. 610-616, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3345/kjp.2006.49.6.610 https://doi.org/10.3345/kjp.2006.49.6.610
- C. H. Hong, H. R. Cho, G. S. Park, "The secular trend of menarchial age in Korea",Journal of the Korean Pediatric Society, Vol. 36, pp. 239-43, 1993.
- S. H. Park, E. I. Kim, "Study on the estimation of the menarcheal age according to level of menarcheal experience rate", Journal of the Korean Society of Health Statistics, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 13-19,1993.
- H. S. Kim , J. Y. Kim , Y. K. Shin , S. H. Park , Y. C. Tockgo, "A study on menarchial age and monthly incidence of school girls in Ansan", Journal of the Korean Pediatric Society, Vol. 40, pp. 458-63. 1997.
- Y. K. Min, "Menstrual attitude structure of postmenarcheal girls", Journal of social science, Vol. 14, pp. 69-88, 2003.
- M. H. Sung, K. S. Joo, Relationships among Attitudes toward Menstruation, Peri-menstrual Symptoms, and Coping in Adolescent Girls ", Korean Journal of Health Promotion, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 106-114, 2011.
- K. H. Kong, S. H. Lee, "A Study for the Growth Acceleration Teudency of High School Girl Students in Korea", Journal of Physical Growth and Motor Development Vol. 4, pp. 69-81, 1996.
- K. S. Koo, "A Study on Relation of MIA and Menarche in the Growth Curve of the Korea Girl Students" Journal of Physical Growth and Motor Development, Vol. 3, pp. 23-38, 1995.
- J. G. Kim, "The effect of the physique maximum increment age and the body mass index of teenagers on menarche", The Korean Journal of Physical Education, Vol. 47, No. 4, pp. 517-524, 2008.
- U. H. Baek, K. S. Koo, "Analysis on the Status of Body Growth in Regional Youth", Journal of Physical Growth and Motor Development, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 23-35, 2000.
- U. H. Baek, "An Analysis on Menstrual Disorder During Youth According to the Period of Menarche", Journal of Physical Growth and Motor Development, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 9-14, 2009.
- J. I. Choi, "The Effects of Physical Growth on Menarche of Girl's Middle School Students", Journal of Physical Growth and Motor Development, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 129-137, 2003.
- E. K. Kim, S. H. Lee, "Comparison of Obesity and Growth Development in Menarcheal and Nonmenarcheal Girls", Journal of the Korean Dietetic Association, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 106-113, 2003.
- D. S. Jeong, "The Effects of Menarche on Physique Change of the Elementary School Female students", The Korean society of Elementary Physical Education, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 75-83, 2009.
- J. B. Kampert, A. S. Whittemore, R. S. Jr Paffenbarger, "Combined effect of childbearing, menstrual events, and body size on age-specific breast cancer risk", American journal of epidemiology, Vol. 128, No. 5, pp. 962-79, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a115070
- J. O. Drief, "Breast development in pubert", Annal New York Academic Science, Vol. 464, pp. 58-65, 1986. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.1986.tb15993.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.1986.tb15993.x
- R. Lakshman , N. Forouhi , R. Luben , S. Bingham , K. Khaw , N. Wareham , K. K. Ong, "Association between age at menarche and risk of diabetes in adults: results from the EPIC-Norfolk cohort study", Diabetologia, Vol. 51, No. 5, pp. 781-786, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00125-008-0948-5 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-008-0948-5
- B. K. Jacobsen, I. Heuch, G. Kvale, "Association of low age at menarche with increased all-cause mortality: a 37-year follow-up of 61,319 Norwegian women", American journal of epidemiology, Vol. 166, No. 12, pp. 1431-1437, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwm237 https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwm237
- J. S. Lindberg, W. B. Fears, M. M. Hunt, M. R. Powell, D. Boll, C. E. Wade, "Exercise-induced amenorrhea and bone density", Annals of internal medicine, Vol. 101, No. 5, pp. 647-648, 1984. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-101-5-647 https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-101-5-647
- J. C. Prior, Y. M. Vigna, M. T. Schechter, A. E. Burgess, "Spinal bone loss and ovulatory disturbances", The New England journal of medicine, Vol. 323, No. 18, pp. 1221-1227, 1990. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199011013231801 https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199011013231801
- E, Stice, K, Presnell, S. K. Bearman, "Relation of early menarche to depression, eating disorders, substance abuse, and comorbid psychopathology among adolescent girls", Developmental Psychology, Vol. 37, No. 5, pp. 608-619, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0012-16126.96.36.1998 https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-16188.8.131.528
- R. Kaltiala-Heino, M. Marttunen, P. Rantanen, M. Rimpela, "Early puberty is associated with mental health problems in middle adolescence", Social Science & Medicine, Vol. 57, pp. 1055-1064, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(02)00480-X https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(02)00480-X
- C. Capron, C. Therond, M. Duyme, "Brief report: effect of menarcheal status and family structure on depressive symptoms and emotional/behavioural problems in young adolescent girls", Journal of adolescence, Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 175-179, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2006.11.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2006.11.004
- F. Deng, F. B. Tao, Y. H. Wan, J. H. Hao, P. Y. Su, Y. X. Cao, "Early menarche and psychopathological symptoms in young Chinese women", Journal of women's health, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 207-213, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2010.2102 https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2010.2102
- C. Joinson, J. Heron, G. Lewis, T. Croudace, R. Araya, "Timing of menarche and depressive symptoms in adolescent girls from a UK cohort", The British journal of psychiatry:the journal of mental science, Vol. 198, No. 1, pp. 17-23, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.bp.110.080861
- G. C. Patton, M. E. Hibbert, J. Carlin, Q. Shao, M. Rosier, J. Caust, G. Bowes, "Menarche and the onset of depression and anxiety in Victoria, Australia", Journal of epidemiology and community health, Vol. 50, No. 6, pp. 661-666, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/jech.50.6.661 https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.50.6.661
- J. M. Boden, D. M. Fergusson, L. J. Horwood, "Age of menarche and psychosocial outcomes in a New Zealand birth cohort", Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Vol. 50, No. 2, pp. 132-140, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jaac.2010.11.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaac.2010.11.007
- L. S. Adair, "Size at birth predicts age at menarche", Pediatrics, Vol. 107, pp. E59, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1542/peds.107.4.e59 https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.107.4.e59
- J. A. Kwon, E, C. Park, M. Lee, K. B. Yoo, S. Park, "Does stress increase the risk of atopic dermatitis in adolescents? results of the Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey (KYRBWS-VI)", PLoS One, Vol. 8, No. 8, e67890, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0067890 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0067890
- M. Osman, "Therapeutic implications of sex differences in asthma and atopy", Archives of disease in childhood, Vol. 88, pp. 587-90, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1136/adc.88.7.587
- J. H. Kim, C. H. Shin, "Observed Trends for an Earlier Onset of Puberty: When is the Need for Treatment Indicated?", Journal of Korean American Medical Association, Vol. 52, No. 12, pp. 1189-1200, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2009.52.12.1189 https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2009.52.12.1189