- Volume 14 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
The Effectiveness of Problem Based Learning(PBL) across Learning Styles in Nursing Students
간호대학생의 학습유형에 따른 문제중심 학습의 효과
- Received : 2013.08.07
- Accepted : 2013.11.07
- Published : 2013.11.30
This study was to identify the difference of achievement motivation, self-efficacy, self-directed learning across the learning styles after application of the Problem based learning(PBL) in Nursing students. Descriptive survey was performed from march to june, 2009 at a university in Jeju. The participants were 268 in freshman nursing student and PBL was used during one semester. The data from 242 participants were analysed using IBM SPSS 20.0 The results revealed that most nursing students had converger in learning styles. Achievement motivation and self-efficacy were the greatest scores in accommodator and self-directed learning was the greatest scores in converger. However, Achievement motivation, self-efficacy, and self-directed learning were lowest in diverger. Significant positive correlation was found among achievement motivation, self-efficacy, and self-directed learning each other. There were significant difference in achievement motivation, self-efficacy and self-directed learning across learning styles. More research is needed to determine the effects of PBL in nursing education including many variables.
Achievement motivation;Learning styles;PBL;Self-directed learning;Self-efficacy
- Barrows, H. S. Practice-based learning: Problem-based learning: An approach to medical education. NY: Springer Publishing Co. (1994).
- Barrows, H. S. The essentials of problem-based learning. Journal of Dental Education, 62, 630-633, 1998.
- Rideout, E., & Carpio, B. The Problem-based learning model of nursing education, In E. Rideout(Ed.), Transforming Nursing Education Through Problem-Based Learning(pp. 21-50), CANADA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers, 2001.
- Morales-Mann, E. T., & Kaitell, C. A. Problem-based learning in a new Canadian curriculum. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 33(1), 13-19, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2001.01633.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2001.01633.x
- Kim, H.S., Ko, I.S., Lee, W.H., Bae, S.Y., & Shim, J.O. Evaluation of Problem-Based Learning in an Undergraduate Nursing Course. Child Health Nursing Research, 10(4), 395-405, 2004.
- Kim, H.S., Oh, K.S., & Lee, K.J. The Evaluation of Nursing Educaton using an Adult Learning Methods. Korean Journal of Nursing Query, 8(1), 124-138, 1999.
- Kwon, Y.S., Lee, B.S., Park, M., Kim, H.D., Koo, Y.J., Kim, Y., & Bae, S.H, Process and Outcome Evaluation of PBL Class in a College of Nursing. Keimyung Journal of Nursing Science, 10(1), 109-120, 2006.
- Novak, S., Shah, S., Wilson, J. P., Lawson, K. A., & Salzman, R. D. Pharmacy students' learning styles before and after a problem-based learning experience. American Journal of Pharm. Education, 70(4), 74, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5688/aj700474 https://doi.org/10.5688/aj700474
- Choe, S., The Effects of Learning Styles on Well-Structured and Ill-Structured Problem Solving. Unpublished Master's Thesis, University of Chonnam National University, Gwangju, Korea, 2007.
- Kreber, C., The relationships between self-directed learning, critical thinking, and psychological type, and some implications for teaching in higher education. Studies in Higher Education, 23(1), 1-86, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03075079812331380502 https://doi.org/10.1080/03075079812331380502
- Cheju Halla University, Mannual of Problem-Based Learning. Halla/Newcastle PBL Center, Jeju, Korea, 2004.
- Hwan, M.G., The Effect on Internal Control and Achievement Motivation on Reality Therapy. Unpublished master's thesis, Sogang University, Seoul, Korea, 1996.
- Hong, H.Y., The Relationship of Perfectionism, Self-Efficacy and Depression. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Women's University, Seoul, Korea, 1995.
- Yoo, M.R., Choi, Y.J., & Kang, M.S., The Effects of PBL(Problem-Based Learning) on the Self-Directed Learning, Critical Thinking Disposition, and Problem Solving Process of Nursing Students. Journal of Korean academy of foundamentals of nursing, 16(1), 46-54, 2009.
- Park, J.H.,. The Study of Self-Direction of Adult Learners in enterprise. Unpublished master's thesis, Korea University, Seoul, Korea, 1998.
- Kim, J.W., & Choi, E.Y., Participation and Academic Achievement by Learning Styles in Problem Based Learning. Journal of Korean academy of fundamentals of nursing, 16(2), 200-206, 2009.
- Ahn, K.J., Learning Styles and Preferred Learning Methods of Undergraduate Nursing Students. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 13(1), 13-22, 2007.
- Laschinger, H. K., Impact of nursing learning environments on adaptive competency development in bacclalaureate nursing students. Journal of Professional Nursing, 8(2), 105-114, 1992. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/8755-7223(92)90070-F https://doi.org/10.1016/8755-7223(92)90070-F
- Lee, M.O., Nursing Students Methods of Learning. Journal of Korean academy of nursing, 30(6), 1521-1530, 2002.
- Cavanagh, S. J., Hogn, K., & Ramgopal, T., The assessment of student nurse learning style using the Kolb Learning Styles Inventory. Nurse Education Today, 15(3), 177-183, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0260-6917(95)80103-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0260-6917(95)80103-0
- Baker, C. M., Pesut, D. J., Mcdaniel, A. M., & Fisher, M. L., Evaluating the impact of problem-based learning on learning styles of master's students in nursing administration. Journal of Professional Nursing, 23(4), 214-219, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2007.01.018 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2007.01.018
- Kang, I.A., Possibility of PBL as Adult Learning Environment. Journal of Nursing Query, 11(1), 26-54, 2002.
- Son, Y.J., Song, Y.A., & Choi, E.Y., Effects of Problem-Based Learning of Nursing Student. Journal of Korean academy of fundamentals of nursing, 17(1), 82-89, 2010.
- Hwang, Y.Y., Ju, M.S., & Park, C.S., The Effects of Problem Based Learning(PBL) in Nursing Students Studying through PBL Curriculum. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 13(2), 155-161, 2007.
- Ko, G.J., Kim, S.J., & Kang, H.K., Study on Educational Satisfaction of a College's Nursing Students According to PBL Strategies. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 16(1), 33-42, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.033 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.033
- Lee, W.S., Joe, K.C., Yang, S.H., Noh, Y.S., & Lee, G.Y., Effects of Problem-Based Learning Combined with Simulation on the Basic Nursing Competency of Nursing Students. Journal of Korean academy of fundamentals of nursing, 16(1), 64-72, 2009.
- Williams, B., The theoretical link between problem-based learning and self-directed learning for continuing professional nursing education. Teaching in Higher Education, 6, 85-98, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13562510020029626 https://doi.org/10.1080/13562510020029626
- Harvey, B. J., Rothman, A. I., & Frecker, R. C., Effect of an undergraduate medical curriculum on students' self-directed learning. Academic Medicine, 78, 1259-1265, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00001888-200312000-00015 https://doi.org/10.1097/00001888-200312000-00015
- Walker, J. T., & Lofton, S. P., Effect of a problem based learning curriculum on students' perceptions of self directed learning. Issues in Educational Rearch, 13(2), 71-100, 2003.
- Kocaman, G., Dicle, A., & Ugur, A., A longitudinal analysis of the self-directed learning readiness level of nursing students enrolled in a Problem-based curriculum. Journal of Nursing Education, 48(5), 286-290, 2009.
- Temperament by MBTI Personality Types, Learning Styles and Learning Strategies in Nursing Students vol.14, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.09.400
- Comparing the Ethical Knowledge, Ethical Values and Class Satisfaction by Students' Cognitive Style to Develope the Convergent Nursing Ethic Class vol.13, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.11.205
- Factors Influencing Confidence in Performance Competence of Core Basic Nursing Skills by Nursing Students* vol.22, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2015.22.3.297
Supported by : 제주한라대학교