- Volume 14 Issue 11
The paper is aimed to develop coaching competency model for executives and analyze their needs. For better outcome, we take coaching experts and executives and managers with business coaching experience as the target and conduct Delphi survey three times. According to the 3 surveys, we derived 5 coaching competency clusters and 34 individual competency items. The next thing, we have designed 102 survey questions which measure the 43 competency items and verified the validity for 272 respondents composed of managers and executives participated. As a result, the Analysis is secured with the validity at the 26 competency items. To investigate the competency that is important to executives, we carry needs analysis into execution. Borich's needs to utilize executive coaching competencies results conducted on 5 priority groups that belong to the competence of the 26 sub-competencies have business acumen the needs of high-capacity was analyzed. followed by motivation inspiring, organizational management, conflict management, strategic thinking and negotiation skills.
Executive coaching competency;Coaching competency model;Delphi survey;Borich's Needs Analysis
- Wycherley, M. & Cox, E. "Factors in the selection and matching of executive coaches in organisations", Coaching: An International Journal of Theory, Research and Practice, 1(1), 39-53, 2012.
- Kapenberg, E. S. A. "Model of Executive Coaching: Key Factors In Coaching", Clarmont University, Ph.D. Dissertation, 2008.
- Kilburg, R. R. "Facilitating intervention adherence in executive coaching: A model and methods", Consulting Psychology Journal: Practice and Research, 53(4), 251, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/1061-4087.53.4.251 https://doi.org/10.1037/1061-4087.53.4.251
- Meuse, K, P. "valuating the effectiveness of executive coaching: beyond ROI? Coaching: An International Journal of Theory", Research and Practice, 2009.
- Bono, J. E., Purvanova, R. K., Towler, A. J. & Peterson, D. B. "A survey of executive coaching practices", Personnel Psychology, 62(2), 361-404, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2009.01142.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2009.01142.x
- Brand, H and Marina Coetzee. "An Explorative Study of the Experiences of the Coach and Coachee during Executive Coaching", 2013.
- Kampa-Kokesch, S. & Anderson, M. Z. "Executive coaching: A comprehensive review of the literature", Consulting Psychology Journal: Practice and Research, 53: 205-228, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/1061-4087.53.4.205 https://doi.org/10.1037/1061-4087.53.4.205
- Feldman, D. C. &Lankau, M. J. "Executive coaching: A review and agenda for future research", Journal of Management, 31(6), 829-848, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0149206305279599 https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206305279599
- Diedrich, R. C. "An iterative approach to executive coaching", Consulting Psychology Journal: Practice and Research, 48(2), 61, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/1061-4087.48.2.61 https://doi.org/10.1037/1061-4087.48.2.61
- Witherspoon, R. & White, R. P. "Executive coaching: A continuum of roles", Consulting Psychology Journal: Practice and Research, 48(2), 124, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/1061-4087.48.2.124 https://doi.org/10.1037/1061-4087.48.2.124
- Joo, B. K. "Executive coaching: A conceptual framework from an integrative review of practice and research", Human Resource Development Review, 4(4), 462-488, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1534484305280866 https://doi.org/10.1177/1534484305280866
- International Executive Coaching Summit. The Executive Coaching Forum, from: www.coachfederation.org/exec-coaching-summit.htm, 2008.
- Kilburg, R. R. "Toward a conceptual understanding and definition of executive coaching", Consulting Psychology Journal: Practice & Research, 48(2), 134-144, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/1061-4087.48.2.134 https://doi.org/10.1037/1061-4087.48.2.134
- Brock, G. "Grounded Theory of the Roots and Emergence of Coaching", International University of Professional Studies., 2008.
- Passmore, J. "The psychology of Caoching and Mentoring", Wiley-Blackwell, 2013.
- Williams, P. "The potential perils of personal issues in coaching", International Journal of Coaching in Organizations, 2: 21-30, 2003.
- ICF. "Core competencies", Retrieved November 12, 2006, from: www.coachfederation.org, 2006.
- IAC. The IAC Coaching Masteries Overview, from: http://www.certifiedcoach.org/index.php/get_certified/the_iac_coaching_masteries_overview, 2007.
- Spencer, L. M. and Spencer, S. M. "Competency at work", John Wiley & Sons, 1993.
- Boyatzis, R. E. "The competent manager:Amdel for effective oerformance", wiley, 1982.
- Lawshe, C. H. "A quantitative approach to content validity", Personal Psychology, 28(4), 563-575, 1975. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1975.tb01393.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1975.tb01393.x
- Young, S. H., Dae, B. K. "Continuing education is based on Delphi survey of workers targeted for life changing trends in education management", HRD Research, 9(1), 1-26, 2007.
- Mason, J. "Qualitative research", Sage, 1996.
- Jae, H. K. "College Education Services is a professional impact on the employability of students", Korea University, PhD thesis, 2011.
- Jung, H. K. "Psychosocial Health reliability and validity of measurement tools black", Journal of Nursing. 18 (4). 12-32, 1999.
- Borich, G. D. "A Needs Assessment Model for Conducting Follow-up Studies", The Journal of Teacher Education, 31(3), 39-42, 1980. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/002248718003100310 https://doi.org/10.1177/002248718003100310
- Van de Ven, A. H., & Ferry, D. L. "Measuring and assessing organizations", Wiley, 1980.