- Volume 49 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Catching efficiency of the biodegradable gill net for Pacific herring (Clupea pallasii)
생분해성 청어 (Clupea pallasii) 자망의 어획성능
- Received : 2013.10.18
- Accepted : 2013.11.08
- Published : 2013.11.30
Physical characteristics of PA (Polyamide) gill net and biodegradable gill net made by PBS (Polybutylene succinate) (mesh size 63mm, mesh thickness number 2, 2.5, 3) were analyzed to investigate catching efficiency of the biodegradable gill net for Pacific herring. Total 11 numbers of catching efficiency tests were carried out using commercial fishing vessel at Imwon port in Kangwon province from May to June 2013. The amount of catches were 1,535.7kg (18 species) through the catching efficiency tests and it is expected that the practicalization of biodegradable gillnet is possible because there is no difference for catches between PA gillnet and PBS gillnet. Catches of herring according to the thickness of net twine was the highest at No.2 and the thicker net twine tends to decrease the catches.
Polybutylene succinate;Biodegradable gillnet;PA gillnet;Catching efficiency
- Akiyama S, Saito E and Watanabe T. 2007. Relationship between soak time and number of enmeshed animals in experimentally lost gillnets. Fish Sci 73, 881-888. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1444-2906.2007.01409.x
- Ayaz A, Acarli D, Altinagac U, Ozekinci U, Kara A and Ozen A. 2006. Ghost fishing by monofilament and multifilament gillnets in izmir bay, Turkey. Fish Res 79, 267-271. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2006.03.029
- Bae BS, An HC, Jeong EC, Park HH, Park SW and Park CD. 2010. Fishing power estimation of biodegradable traps in the East Sea. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 46, 292-301. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.4.292
- Bae BS, Cho SK, Park SW and Kim SH. 2012. Catch characteristics of the biodegradable gillnet for flounder. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 48, 310-321. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2012.48.4.310
- Bech G. 1995. Retrieval of lost gillnets at Ilulissat Kangia. NAFO SCR Doc 95/6, 1-5.
- Brown J and Macfadyen G. 2007. Ghost fishing in European waters: Impacts and management responses. Marine Policy 31, 488-504. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpol.2006.10.007
- Carr HA, Amaral EH, Hulbert AW and Cooper R. 1985. Underwater survey of simulated lost demersal and lost commercial gillnets off New England. In: Shomura RS, Yoshida HO (eds). Proc. Workshop on the Fate and Impact of Marine Debris, 26-29 November 1984, Honolulu, Hawaii. IEEE Oce Eng Soc 438-447.
- Cho DO. 2011. Removing derelict fishing gear from the deep seabed of the East Sea. Marine Policy 35, 610-614. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpol.2011.01.022
- Erzini K, Monteiro CC, Ribeiro J, Santos MN, Gaspar M, Monteiro P and Borges TC. 1997. An experimental study of gillnet and trammel net'ghost fishing'off the Algarve (southern Portugal). Mar Ecol Prog Ser 147, 257-65. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps147257
- Gibson C. 2013. Preventing the loss of gillnets in puget sound salmon fisheries. Northwest Straits Marine Conservation Foundation, 1-8.
- Holst R, Wileman D and Madsen N. 2002. The effect of twine thickness on the size selectivity and fishing power of Baltic cod gillnets. Fish Res 56, 303-312. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-7836(01)00328-9
- Humborstad O, Lfkkeborg S, Hareide NR and Furevik DM. 2003. Catches of Greenland halibut (Reinhardtius hippoglossoides) in deepwater ghost fishing gillnets on the Norwegian continental slope. Fish Res 64, 163-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-7836(03)00215-7
- Kaiser MJ, Bullimore B, Newman P, Lock K and Gilbert S. 1996. Catches in'ghost fishing'set nets. Marine Ecology Progres 145, 11-16. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps145011
- Kim SH, Park SW, Lee KH and Lim JH 2013. Characteristics on the fishing performance of a drift net for yellow croaker (Larimichthys polyactis) in accordance with the thickness of a net twine. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 49, 227-226. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2012.49.3.218
- KOSIS. 2013. Fishing fleet according to the type of fishing of Korea. http://kosis.kr/statisticsList/statisticsList_01List.jsp?vwcd=MT_ZTITLE&parentId=F on 1992 to 2012. Accessed 2 Oct 2013.
- Large P, Revill A, Randall P, Armstrong M, Houghton C and Hareide NR. 2005. Programme 5: Western edge ghost nets (gillnet retrieval). Fisheries Science Partnership 2005/06, 1-22.
- NFRDI. 2008. Fishing gear of Korea. Hangul Graphics, Busan, Korea, 1-579.
- Park SW and Bae JH. 2008. Weatherability of biodegradable polybutylene succinate (PBS) monofilaments. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 44, 265-272. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2008.44.4.265
- Park SW, Kim SH, Choi HS and Cho HH. 2010. Preparation and physical properties of biodegradable polybutylene succinate/polybutylene adipatecoterephthalate blend monofilament by melt spinning. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 46, 257-264 https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2010.46.3.257
- Park SW, Park CD, Bae JH and Lim JH. 2007. Catching efficiency and development of the biodegradable monofilament gillnet for snow crab (Chionoecetes opilio). J Kor Soc Fish Tech 43, 28-37. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2007.43.1.028
- Puente E, Arregi L, Gomez E and Sancho G. 2001. An experimental approach to study the effects of lost of static fishing gear on the Bay of Biscay benthic communities: FANTARED-2. ICES CM 2001, R04, 1-12.
- Revill AS and Dunlin G. 2003. The fishing capacity of gillnets lost on wrecks and on open ground in UK coastal waters. Fish Res 64, 107-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-7836(03)00209-1
- Santos MN, Saldanha HJ, Gaspar MB and Monteiro CC. 2003. Hake (Merluccius merluccius L., 1758) ghost fishing by gillnets off the Algarve (southern Portugal). Fish Res 64, 119-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-7836(03)00211-X
- Tschernij V and Larsson PO. 2003. Ghost fishing by lost cod gillnets in the baltic sea. Fish Res 64, 151-162. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-7836(03)00214-5
- Brandt A. and Carrothers PJG. 1964. Test methods for fishing materials. Modern fishing gear of the world 2, Fishing News Books Ltd, London, UK, 9-49.
- Yokota K, Fujimori Y, Shiode D and Tokai T. 2001. Effect of thin twine on gillnet size-selectivity analyzed with the direct estimation method. Fish Sci 67, 851-856. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1444-2906.2001.00332.x
- Wikipedia. 2013. Herring. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herring. Accessed 15 Oct 2013.
- Catch and cluster analysis according to net materials of gillnet for the Pacific herring in the coastal waters of Samcheok, Korea vol.51, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.3.348
- Species composition and cluster analysis of the communities caught by dredge in relation to tooth spacing and mesh size in the coastal waters of Gangneung, Korea vol.50, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.4.530
- Effects of steam heat treatment conditions on the swelling and physical properties of PBS (polybutylene succinate) copolymer monofilament gill net vol.50, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.3.274
- Development of the submerged heat treatment machine for PBSAT(polybutylene succinate adipate–co–terephthalate) monofilament nets and its efficiency vol.51, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2015.51.1.094
- Genetic Distances and Variations of Three Clupeid Species Determined by PCR Technique vol.18, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12717/DR.2014.18.4.287
Supported by : 국립수산과학원