- Volume 40 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Enhancement of Erythrosine Photodynamic Therapy against Streptococcus mutans by Chlorhexidine
Streptococcus mutans에 대한 클로르헥시딘과 Erythrosine 광역동 치료의 상승효과
- Park, Jongcheol (Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Oral Science Research Center, College of Dentistry, Gangneung-Wonju National University) ;
- Park, Howon (Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Oral Science Research Center, College of Dentistry, Gangneung-Wonju National University) ;
- Lee, Siyoung (Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Oral Science Research Center, College of Dentistry, Gangneung-Wonju National University)
- Received : 2013.04.12
- Accepted : 2013.09.07
- Published : 2013.11.29
The purpose of this study was to investigate the synergistic effects of erythrosine sensitized with a conventional halogen curing unit and sub-minimal bactericidal concentration(sub-MBC) of chorhexidine on bacterial viability of Streptococcus mutans in planktonic state. Sub-minimal bactericidal concentration of chlorhexidine was added into wells containing bacteria and erythrosine. The range of concentrations tested for chorhexidine was from 0.0000001% to 0.001%. The irradiation of the bacterial suspensions was performed for 15 sec with a conventional halogen curing unit light. In another set of experiment, the effects of 0.001% chlorhexidine were observed by adding chlorhexidine into wells containing the sub-minimal bactericidal concentration of erythrosine. At the concetration of 0.001% chlorhexidine, there were no antibacterial effects in the absence of erythrosine PDT(p < 0.05). At the concentraton of
- Krasse B : Caries risk: a pratical guide for an assessment and control. chicago: Quintessence Publishing, 1985.
- Smith DJ : Dental caries vaccines: prospects and concerns. Expert Rev Vaccines, 13:335-349, 2002.
- Marsh PD : Are dental diseases examples of ecological catastrophes? Microbiology, 149:279-294, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1099/mic.0.26082-0
- Marsh PD : Microbiologic aspects of dental plague and dental caries. Dent Clin North Am, 43:599-614, 1999.
- Mikkelsen L, Jensen SB, Jakobsen J : Microbial studies on plaque from carious and caries-free proximal tooth surfaces in a population with high caries experience. Caries Res, 15:428-435, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1159/000260548
- Loe H : Oral hygiene in the prevention of caries and periodontal disease. Int Dent J, 50:129-139, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1875-595X.2000.tb00553.x
- Smith DJ : Dental caries vaccines: prospects and concerns. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med, 13:335-149, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1177/154411130201300404
- Goncalves MO, Coutinho-Filho WP, Pimenta FP, et al. : Periodontal disease as reservoir for multi-resistant and hydrolytic enterobacterial species. Lett Appl Microbiol, 44:488-494, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1472-765X.2007.02111.x
- Walker CB : The acquisition of antibiotic resistance in the periodontal microflora. Periodontol, 10:79-88, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0757.1996.tb00069.x
- Soukos NS, Goodson JM : Photodynamic therapy in the control of oral biofilms. Periodontol, 55:143-66, 2000.
- Wilson M : Photolysis of oral bacteria and its potential use in the treatment of caries and periodontal disease. J Appl Bacteriol, 75:299-306, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.1993.tb02780.x
- Wilson M, Dobson J, Sarkar S : Sensitization of periodontopathogenic bacteria to killing by light from a low-power laser. Oral Microbiol Immunol, 8:182-187, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-302X.1993.tb00663.x
- Wilson M, Pratten J, Pearson GJ : Bacteria in supragingival plaque samples can be killed by lowpower laser light in the presence of a photosensitizer. J Appl Bacteriol, 78:569-574, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.1995.tb03101.x
- Lee YH, Park HW, Lee JH, et al. : The photodynamic therapy on Streptococcus mutans biofilms using erythrosine and dental halogen curing unit. Int J Oral Sci, 4:196-201, 2012.
- Jung JS, Park HW, Lee JH : The effect of photodynamic therapy on the viability of Streptococcus mutans isolated from oral cavity. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent, 39:233-241, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5933/JKAPD.2012.39.3.233
- Sibata CH, Colussi VC, Oleinick NL, et al. : Photodynamic therapy: a new concept in medical treatment. Braz J Med Biol Res, 33:869-880, 2000.
- Wilson M : Photodynamic antimicrobial chemotherapy (PACT). J Antimicrob Chemother, 42:13-28, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/42.1.13
- Zvi M, Yeshayau N : New trends in photobiology bactericidal effects of photoactivated porphyrins - An alternative approach to antimicrobial drugs. J Photochem Photobiol B, 5:281-293, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/1011-1344(90)85044-W
- Tamietti BF, Machado AH, Maftoum-Costa M, et al. : Analysis of mitochondrial activity related to cell death after PDT with AlPCS4. Photomed Laser Surg, 25:175-179, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1089/pho.2007.2040
- Langslet A, Olsen I, Lie SO, et al. : Chlorhexidine treatment of oral candidiasis in seriously diseased children. Acta Paediat Scand, 63:809-811, 1974. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1651-2227.1974.tb04868.x
- Mohammadi Z, Abbott PV : The properties and applications of chlorhexidine in endodontics. Int Endod J, 42:288-302, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2591.2008.01540.x
- Khaled H, Peter A. Whittaker : Effect of subinhibitory concentration of chlorhexidine on lipid and sterol composition of Candida albicans, Mycopathologia, 140:69-76, 1998.
- Optimum Treatment Parameters for Photodynamic Antimicrobial Chemotherapy on <italic>Streptococcus mutans</italic> Biofilms vol.42, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5933/JKAPD.2015.42.2.151