- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Reviewing Articles Related to Recent Advances in Non-invasive Prenatal Testing and Nursing Implications
최신 비침습적 산전 유전 검사(NIPT)의 임상 적용과 간호학적 의미
- Received : 2013.09.30
- Accepted : 2013.11.12
- Published : 2013.11.30
Purpose: Nineteen articles were analyzed to gather opinions and nursing implications about NIPT recently launched. Methods: Nineteen articles were selected from EBSCO (eBook business collection), Google Scholar, and two Korean academic d-bases with key words 'prenatal screening testing', 'prenatal genetic diagnostic testing', NIPT or 'cell free DNA (cfDNA)'. Authors developed a framework for analyzing the 19 articles including opinions and suggestions for future implications. Results: Eleven articles written by the first author affiliated with medicine or genetics, viewed NIPT as promising because of safety, accuracy, early detectability and cost effectiveness. Articles written by journalists or authors affiliated with history and ethics were concerned with the possible risk of ELSI (ethical, legal, social issues), erratic interpretation of test results, and lack of genetic counseling service. Conclusion: With consideration of Korean clinical, and legal circumstances, not only pregnant women and families but also health professionals must prepare for clinical NIPT implications including updating prenatal genetic testing, counseling services, protecting ELSI and amulticultural team approach.
Prenatal diagnosis;Prenatal screening;Prenatal genetic counseling;Prenatal care;Nursing ethics
- Choi, J. Y. (2009). A study of awareness on the ethical, legal and social implications (ELSI) of genetic testing in Korea. Unpublished master's thesis, Ajou University, Suwon.
- Choi, K. S., Jun, M. H., Shin, G. Y., & Lee S. Y. (2013). Introduction of genetic nursing. Seoul: Daihaks Book Company.
- Cumming, M. R. (2009). Human hereditary: Principles and issues. 9th ed. Belmont: Brooks/Cole.
- Greely, H. T. (2011). Get ready for the flood of fetal gene screening. Nature, 469, 289-291. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/469289a https://doi.org/10.1038/469289a
- Hui, L. & Bianchi, D.W. (2013). Recent advances in the prenatal interrogation of the human fetal genome. Trends in Genetics, 29(2), 84-91. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tig.2012.10.013 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tig.2012.10.013
- Hwang, D. Y. (2007). Genetic counselling in prenatal genetic testing. Journal of Genetic Medicine, 4(1) 6-14.
- ISONG. (2013). Special interest group - preconception/prenatal. Retrieved July 29, 2013 from http://www.isong.org/ISONG_prenatal.php.
- Jorde, L. B., Carey, J. C., & Bamshad, M. J. (2009). Medical genetics. 4th ed. Philadelphia: Mosby.
- Jun, M. H,, Choi, J. Y., & Shin, G. Y. (2012). Current issues and tasks of genetic cancer nursing in Korea. Asian Oncology Nursing, 12(4), 267-273. http://dx.doi.org/10.5388/aon.2012.12.4.267 https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2012.12.4.267
- Jun, M. H,, Choi, J. Y., Shin, G. Y., & Hong, S. W.(2012, October, 25). Experiences of high risk pregnant women undergoing amniocentesis in Korea. Poster session presented at the 24th annual conference of ISONG, Philiadelphia, US.
- Kim, H. J. (2011). Genetic counseling in Korean health care system. Journal of Genetic Medicine, 8(2), 89-99. http://dx.doi.org/10.5734/JGM.2011.8.2.89 https://doi.org/10.5734/JGM.2011.8.2.89
- Kim, H. M. (2009). The necessity and direction of revising Article 14 of the Mother and Child Health Law. Korean Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 52(5), 487-498.
- Kim, Y. H.(2011). Consideration on abolition of abortion. Hanyang Law Review, 22(33), 187-216.
- Lee, S. S.(2007). A study on impact of the change in values on marriage and fertility behaviors. Health and Social Welfare Review, 26(2), 95-140.
- LeROY, B. S., Veach, P. M., & Bartels, D. M.(2010). Genetic counseling practice. Hoboken, New Jersey: Wiley & Blackwell.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2011). National survey on trends of induced abortion. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare.
- NCHPEG. (2012). Non-invasive prenatal testing(NIPT) factsheet. Retrieved July 29, 2013. From http://www.nchpeg.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=384&Itemid=255
- Schmitz, D. (2013). A new era in prenatal testing: Are we prepared?. Medicine, Health Care and Philosophy, 16(3), 357-364. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11019-012-9411-y https://doi.org/10.1007/s11019-012-9411-y
- Son, M. S. (2013). Development of operating model for Korean genetic counselor system. Seoul: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Son, Y. S. (2010). The medicolegal understanding regarding fetocide in the criminal law and artificial termination in the mother and child health law. Korean Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 52(5), 467-474. http://dx.doi.org/10.5468/kjog.2010.53.6.467 https://doi.org/10.5468/kjog.2010.53.6.467
- Statistics Korea. (2011). Average childbearing age, 2007-2012. Retrieved July 29, 2013. http://kosis.kr/statisticsList/statisticsList_01List.jsp?vwcd=MT_ZTITLE&parmTabId=M_01_01
- Sword, W., Heaman, M. I., Brooks, S., Tough, S., Janssen, P. A., Young, D., Kingston, D., Helewa, M. E., Akhtar-Danesh, N., & Hutton, E. (2012). Women's and care providers' perspectives of quality prenatal care: a qualitative descriptive study. BMC pregnancy and childbirth, 12, 29-46. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-2393 -12-29 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2393-12-29
- Tischler, R., Hudgins, L., Blumenfeld, Y., Greely, H. T., & Ormond, K. E. (2011). Noninvasive prenatal diagnosis: pregnant women's interest and expected uptake. Prenatal Diagnosis, 31(13), 1292-1299. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/pd.2888 https://doi.org/10.1002/pd.2888
- Tonkens, R. (2011). Parental wisdom, empirical blindness, and normative evaluation of prenatal genetic enhancement. Journal of Medicine and Philosophy. 36(3), 274-295. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jmp/jhr012 https://doi.org/10.1093/jmp/jhr012
- Wieacker, P., & Steinhard, J. (2010). The prenatal diagnosis of genetic diseases. Deutsches Aerzteblatt International, 107(48), 857-862. http://dx.doi.org/10.3238/arztebl.2010.0857 https://doi.org/10.3238/arztebl.2010.0857
- Experiences of Prenatal Genetic Screening and Diagnostic Testing Among Pregnant Korean Women of Advanced Maternal Age vol.28, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1043659616662913
Supported by : 한국연구재단